GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a Goldwing GL1800 2008 model. I have had the bike for a couple months now. Generally riding it back and forth to work and a couple small trips in the counrtyside on the weekend to just get use to the how the bike handles and rides. The other day I was doing some very slow, tight turns in a parking lot and noticed the front end seem to wobble/flex when I turned the bike.

Is this normal, because it doesn't seemt right to me? It feels like the front forks are flexing when I made the tight slow turns. The front seem to almost want to bounce/wobble. It was a really weird feeling. There wasn't any gravel or dirt on the pavement at all. That was the first thing I though of too. The tires have only 5k on them and have good tread.

Anyone experience this before or can tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
Assuming that all hardware is tight, installed as it should be, anti dive valve is not sticking and air in front tire is correct. I believe that you are feeling normal fork flex on the big girl.

I installed a multiple piece Kury fork brace on mine. Cured the sloppy/mushy feeling. Stay away from the single piece fork braces.

Added link to the Kury brace http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8840&str=4

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Twing is right from everything I've read. This is normal for the wing, though normal is not necessarily good. Even the Traxxion folks recommend the 5 piece Kury fork brace in the video I've watched. Max says 5 minute install and if you don't notice an immediate difference in the parking lot, then you're dead. LOL

If you happen to be in the GA area where Traxxion is located, he says stop by, they'll install one and if you don't feel the difference, they'll remove it. No charge at all. I get the feeling that those who have taken them up on the offer ended up buying the brace. ;-)

The only time a fork brace isn't recommended is if you have a trike with a rake kit as the stronger triple tree of the rake kit makes the brace redundant.

I'm seriously thinking about going with the Traxxion "full monty", i.e. Rebuild both forks with cartridges in BOTH sides, the rear shock, the all balls tapered bearings and the fork brace. It is about $2800. OTOH from everything I've read and heard, the ride and longer usable tire mileage is worth it.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Traxxion makes their own brace now brushed alum NOT karykrappy chrome!! Also a set of fork springs HELP a lot!! traxxion there to as if you upgrade they give full price off of upgrade!! ALLBALLS steering head bearings are worth every dime!!! IMHO

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Fork brace (multi piece like Kury or Traxxion) + AllBalls, + new for springs will eliminate the majority of the front end flex.
Too bad Honda didn't make the front end better but it is fixable.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
TRAXXION set up is very expensive
But the finer things in life usually are
And it is worth every penny IMHO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.... save a few pennies and I think I'm going to go with the Traxxion brace.
Yes, went over the front end and everything is nice and tight. She is a big girl that's for sure. :)

All ball bearing head... hmmmm going to have to look into that one. Sounds really nice.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

RIDE ON! :joke:

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
You have felt the classic "Noodle Nose" front end flex that all GL1800's have. The brace will help some, but the main culprit is the honeycomb design of the triple clamps. Take a ride to Traxxion, ride the demo bike, have Dan or Mike give you the tour and let them show you the triple tree test/demo fixture...you'll get the idea.

Enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts