GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GL1800 that was ready for spring and I found the battery dead and it would not hold a charge. I ordered a new AGM battery for it. The day the battery was supposed to arrive, I washed the bike as I often do. After installing the battery, the bike will not turn over. The lights dim, so the starter buttom seems to be working. I put the bike in neutral, so the clutch sensors should be okay. The kickstand lights shows, so that sensor should also be okay.

The kill switch is properly positioned. Any ideas where I go from here?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just a check here, but see if you installed ALL the wires that went to the battery. to be sure there isn't one forgotten.

If all wires are on, then I would perform a battery check on that new battery, even if I had to remove it and take it to a local Auto zone where they can check it for free..

·
Registered
419 Posts
Went to start my bike for the first time Tuesday, Weak battery, Went to WW, Wally World,:bow:bought a 20 lbs battery, Bought it home, filled it with acid, Let it sit for 1 hour, Put it on tender for 8 hrs, Put it in bike. FIRED IT RIGHT ON UP.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
​Battery is weak, that's why lights dim. Do a slow charge with a battery tender for eight hours then take it for a ride.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
Does the FI light come on when you turn on the key? If so, do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds and then quit? Are you getting any lights on the dash other than the neutral light? The headlights will go out due to the function of the starter switch, even with the kill switch in the stop position, so that means nothing.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have a GL1800 that was ready for spring and I found the battery dead and it would not hold a charge. I ordered a new AGM battery for it. The day the battery was supposed to arrive, I washed the bike as I often do. After installing the battery, the bike will not turn over. The lights dim, so the starter buttom seems to be working. I put the bike in neutral, so the clutch sensors should be okay. The kickstand lights shows, so that sensor should also be okay.

The kill switch is properly positioned. Any ideas where I go from here?
First welcome to the site .

Check the kill switch again or the reverse button

Let us know what you find .

Buck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the saddlebag and everything else to get me to the starter/reverse relays. (A + B) One thing mentioned above is these relays should be clicking when I press the start button. they don't. I do get a clicking sound coming from the relay box under the seat.

I do not see a FI light...only a neutral and oil light when I turn the key on. Also checked the voltage at the battery when trying to start and no change...around 12.3

I cleaned the reverse regulator assembly located in the triangle of the frame behind the saddle bag. I also cleaned up the relay switch connections (A + B)

Since the relay switches don't click, I guess I need to find out why they aren't. The battery is brand new, (Moto Batt AGM) but I put it on charge anyhow to get it to 100%. It was around 75%.

How can I determine the problem with no clicking at the relay switches? Could this still be a problem with the starter switch on the handlebars? I've been driving Goldwings since 1976 and have never had issues...bad for my maint skills!

Any ideas on the relays would be appreciated!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
If you don't get an FI light with the key turn on, there's an issue with your kill switch circuit. Rotate the kill switch back and forth about a dozen times and make sure it stops on the run detent and try the key again. Turn on the radio with the speakers on. When you hit the starter button, the radio should mute. If it doesn't, this is another indication of the kill switch circuit being the issue. Check the "ST Stop Fuse" #13 on your bike as well. The clicking you are hearing in the relay box is the headlight relay that is de-energizing when you hit the starter button and has nothing to do with the starter circuit. Here's the circuit if it helps:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
What lights dim? The headlights get turned off when you press the starter button. It could still be a problem with the start switch. Headlight contacts work ok, start contacts do not.

>CLICK ME<

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You certainly headed me in the right direction. The bike is fixed but I'm not sure what actually fixed it. The Starter relay switches were very dirty. I cleaned them all up as well as the reverse regulator assembly. When the problem originally started, I removed the fuses and tested them one at a time. They all tested good. When plugging them back into the fuse box, I moved #11 into the column to the right of it. (The numbers were different on my bike) I also worked the kill switch this morning before rechecking the fuses. When I moved it back to the correct slot, everything worked.
Thank you all for your help! Of course I'll have to monitor things to make sure whatever happened in the first place doesn't reoccur!

Thanks again for all your help!!!

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
You certainly headed me in the right direction. The bike is fixed but I'm not sure what actually fixed it. The Starter relay switches were very dirty. I cleaned them all up as well as the reverse regulator assembly. When the problem originally started, I removed the fuses and tested them one at a time. They all tested good. When plugging them back into the fuse box, I moved #11 into the column to the right of it. (The numbers were different on my bike) I also worked the kill switch this morning before rechecking the fuses. When I moved it back to the correct slot, everything worked.
Thank you all for your help! Of course I'll have to monitor things to make sure whatever happened in the first place doesn't reoccur!

Thanks again for all your help!!!
Glad you got it going! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How many of these kill switch issues have we seen in the last few months?

Wayne

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
How many of these kill switch issues have we seen in the last few months?

Wayne
It's been a few. It's the typical symptom you get from an 1800 switch that isn't moved or used very often. I think with the use of the BAS, the kill switch was unnecessary on this bike.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I hear they may be handy for a stuck throttle. :22yikes:

BAS will eventually come into play there too, won't it? :joke::eek:4:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts