GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never had this before. Went for ride with wife yesterday, came home, and can't retrieve anything from either top storage or lower trunk areas.

Key does not work in top storage unit. I clicked the OPEN button on fob, I hear relay pop, but nothing frees itself up. I have somewhat blurry vision, so seeing things upclose is not always good.

Any ideas where to start looking. I'm assuming there is a relay to a cable release or something for each lock.

Appreciate any help.

wisredrider
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
I would think a call to Road Smith or your trike converter would be in order here... Both of them will certainly know how it operates...

Les
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Storage unit locked, fixed Hope this helps others with Roadsmith kit

:lastpost::lol:Got both upper and lower storage units open finally.

I swapped relays on accessory locations, and that allowed me to get top unit unlocked. Stuck relay maybe, dirty corroded contact possible. Sprayed them down with contact cleaner to be safe. So if horn quits working (where I swapped it too), I'll know for sure.

Next, had to remove 6 screws inside top storage unit to remove plastic piece around taillights area. Once done, I pushed the "green" rod on further right for right handle, and trunk popped open. Entire mechanism was dirty dirty dirty. Cleaned with a non inert electrical spray with rags underneath to catch overflow. I then gently applied some Seafoam deep creep fluid to the cable that goes down to the trunk. Worked that many times, added more. Then applied a graphite lube to the entire lock mechanism area.

Works fantastic. The key locks the top storage unit, but does not unlock it, not sure why. Maybe that's how it is sposed to be, never used before anyhow. Last and final operation, I added a piece of heavy fish line to that lower trunk rod, and dropped it down so I can reach it with a loop on end, if this ever happens again. Dealer never added bypass cord. I also added a looped line to the top storage unit as well and dropped it down.

So as usual, blurry vision and all, got it working. I still like challenges, but this one sucked. I hope this helps anyone with a Roadsmith kit on a goldwing.

Thanks to all for your ideas.
Wisredrider
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top