GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low beam bulb that that is no longer working. I've read the forum and watched the video detailing replacing the bulb. I've also read some input discussing the merits and longevity of the Sylvania vs Phillips H7 bulbs. Is there really a difference and also should I replace both low beam bulbs simultaneously even though one is still working.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I agree you'll be replacing the other shortly so get a two pack. They are cheaper to buy in pairs by a couple bucks. Low beams are an easy 5 minute replacement. The hotter the temperature the shorter they survive. I ran Silvania silver stars and had to replace them about every 11 months. Interestingly my 02 still had the original Phillips bulbs in the high beams (they are terrible to replace). Almost two years ago I modified and went with LED lights, but they have their own issues discussed in many other threads. Until recently there was no simple plug n play LEDs bulbs that focused with our reflectors, and LED's burn whiter and don't always provided the rider better vision. LEDs certainly are lasting much longer!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do yourself a favor and go with OEM bulbs. Aftermarket may be cheaper but I know from experience that they will NOT last. The OEM bulbs are made to perform in the unique conditions that go along with motorcycle riding. The best price I found is offered by Cyclemax.com

·
Registered
163 Posts
2010 with about 65000 miles. The right low beam has been replaced about 5 times. The other three have never been replaced.Your choice

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
It's an easy, 5 minute job that is all done by feel. There are a few youtube videos that will help you. Like someone said, Don't toss the H4-H7 adaptor. With it being a 5 minute job, I never understood the "change them both" mentality. I've changed 3 bulbs in 12 yrs - 65,000 miles on my wing. One bulb was on the left side and two on the right side. FOR ME, "one goes out, the other isn't far behind" doesn't hold true.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
“When one goes out the other won’t be far behind” has never been true with me either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
2010 with about 65000 miles. The right low beam has been replaced about 5 times. The other three have never been replaced.Your choice
Interesting, the left lower on mine has gone out twice, and now the right lower just quit. Replacing with Sylvania Silver Star + Winter White.

I think the EC LED conversion is in my future after the 1st of the year.

jdg

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
It's more than just a 'brand' decision.

Phillips makes several 'models' of H7.
In their literature they point out that the ones with higher lumen (brighter) output will not last as many hours.

When you're at the store, buy 2 of whatever brand/model you decide.

Keep the second as a spare, or change both and keep the one that is still working one as an emergency spare. Your choice.

Nearly any auto parts store or the auto parts department in a walmart (or other chain) will have H7's.

The trick is figuring out how to manipulate the spring clip to be able to remove the bulb and adapter assembly.

Don't be tempted to remove the screw.
first time I needed a low beam bulb I was on the road, and didn't yet know it was an H7 bulb -- so went to a dealer. They offered to change it too, but then gave the job to the new guy that didn't know how to do it. And assumed that he did.
He remove the screw holding the clip then was there was all sorts of time lost getting it back in.

After having done one the low beam will be only a couple minute job.

I've still never had to do a high beam, but I understand it's a more complicated undertaking.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies everyone. Doing an online check I find that they seem to come in two-packs most everywhere. I think I will get two two-packs, replace them both and have a spare set tucked away in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Interesting, the left lower on mine has gone out twice, and now the right lower just quit. Replacing with Sylvania Silver Star + Winter White.

jdg
You're gonna love the EC LED conversion. I switched over last September. A little on the expensive side but hopefully worth it.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
38K just did my left low beam. Reason for changing both at the same time is that the older bulb will not be as bright as the new bulb in comparison ... they also come in pairs as mentioned... easy job....

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

jdg

The Silverstars won't last near as long as OEM's. They will be brighter, but you'll be changing them more often.
I remember reading that the OEM bulbs have small wire holding the filament to eliminate vibration.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It's an easy, 5 minute job that is all done by feel. There are a few youtube videos that will help you. Like someone said, Don't toss the H4-H7 adaptor. With it being a 5 minute job, I never understood the "change them both" mentality. I've changed 3 bulbs in 12 yrs - 65,000 miles on my wing. One bulb was on the left side and two on the right side. FOR ME, "one goes out, the other isn't far behind" doesn't hold true.

That's what HE said...... but she objected.... >:)

...anyway........

I replace them when they blow... I only use the standard H7. But, I do find if one blows the other will too in a few weeks, typically.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
The first time my front light blew, I was near the dealer that I purchased two brand new bikes from, and tons of add on's[/U....I was pissed because they charged me $100.00 to replace the bulb for me....a five minute job! Well I sent them a letter claiming that my next bike will be purchase elsewhere..and yep, I'm true to my words, I went into the next town and bought, my last Goldwing wing, and my understanding was that I paid under $5,000 cheaper for my third bike then they were selling theirs for...I sent them a picture of my new bike as well a copy of the receipt.......(i was kinda hoping that because I was good customer, they would just say here (it's fixed/replaced/just pay for the bulb itself) BUT NO!!

Now I use my wife to replace the light, she has much smaller hands then I do and can easily, slip her hands in and out of the small light area...

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
My own opinion is to the stock inexpensive bulbs or go with the EC LED ones. The hotter, brighter halogen bulbs just don't last that long and cost a decent amount. The LED ones are twice the initial cost, but should last much much longer than the bright white halogen bulbs. I think in the long run the LED bulbs will be better a return on investment. Or stick with the low cost, std halogen for the cost/life span balance. Did way too many of them expensive bulbs in my Concours before finally switching to HID. And will do LED there when the time comes. IMO the bright white halogen bulbs are at the bottom of the return on investment scale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts