GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am playin around with the idea of selling the Wing and buying the new Kawasaki Concours 14 sport touring bike. It sure looks like a nice ride.

Was wondering what you guys thought about it?
Would any of you be interested in owning one? The last time I checked it doesn't cost anything to dream! Got the go ahead from the boss.(laugh) I will probably change my mind when I see what the insurance will cost!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sport Touring bikes are a lot of fun. If you and the wife don't do a lot of riding, then get one. If the better half likes to ride with you a lot, then she'll get tired of leaning into your back. The ST, FJ, BMW and the new Kawi (if it comes out) will make a great 2nd bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gorgeous bike! Saw it close up at the IMS in Long Beach last weekend. Has one shortcoming that I would have to do something about if I got one, though. The oil drain plug is the low point, just like the ZX-14. I saw a ZX-14 bottom out (at slow speed) on a concrete curbing as it entered a parking lot. Ripped the oil plug out (damaging the oil pan) and bled its oil all over the ground. Bike had to be towed away for repair. Looked like oil pan had to be replaced. I think I'd rig up some kind of skid plate under there with a hole to access the oil plug. I'm thinking hard about getting one (but I'd keep my Gold Wing).

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I put a retainer down to be first on the list at the local dealer for the Connie. My thoughts are, for the type of riding I do which has been mostly long distance (Alaska, West Coast, Key West, etc.), I would keep the wing. But since I can affort two, my second will be the Connie. Plus I have to TRY to keep up with Jim (jjsc6).

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73183&highlight=

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I owned the first year model of the ST-1300. I am hoping that the sitting postion on the new Connie is more unright that what it was on the ST. The handlebars definately look to be longer. My wife has been having trouble with her back and may end up not riding with me very much.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
jafi_fink said:
I put a retainer down to be first on the list at the local dealer for the Connie. My thoughts are, for the type of riding I do which has been mostly long distance (Alaska, West Coast, Key West, etc.), I would keep the wing. But since I can affort two, my second will be the Connie. Plus I have to TRY to keep up with Jim (jjsc6).

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73183&highlight=
I have no doubt you will more than be able to keep up with me (on my FJR).

I will watch the reviews with great interest on the Connie. I'm thinking in early '08 I'll be chomping at the bit to get one!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The new Connie is supposed to be hitting the dealer showrooms in March or April of 2007. It's a no brainer. If you could have two bikes I would have the Wing and the Connie. But unfortunately I can only have one!

·
Vendor
22,503 Posts
I will probably wait a year or two to see how the reviews are and let them get any bugs sorted out.

But I have to say, if I could only own one bike, it would be the GL1800, no question about it. Sport Touring bikes are fun, but don't do long distances nearly as comfortably as the GL1800 does. There is just nothing like getting on the Wing and taking off on a three week trip through the Rockies and Sierras and Grand Tetons and never having a sore butt while doing 600-800 mile days one after another in relative comfort, even two-up.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Fred H. said:
I will probably wait a year or two to see how the reviews are and let them get any bugs sorted out.

But I have to say, if I could only own one bike, it would be the GL1800, no question about it. Sport Touring bikes are fun, but don't do long distances nearly as comfortably as the GL1800 does. There is just nothing like getting on the Wing and taking off on a three week trip through the Rockies and Sierras and Grand Tetons and never having a sore butt while doing 600-800 mile days one after another in relative comfort, even two-up.
Gees, I have to agree with Fred once again. Really enjoy my FJR, but for the big trips -- it's the Wing for sure.

·
Love The DCT
12,693 Posts
I believe the C-14 is going to be a kick butt bike especially with the VVT. Have my order in and will have the first silver one the dealership receives.

Dealer is still saying delivery will be sometime in the April-June 07 time frame.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The Concours 14 definitely is a pretty bike! I might actually look into getting one in 2010 after Cassie graduates high school. I would also have to wait & see what Yamaha does with the FJR1300. I have the FJR1300AE and I LOVE IT! While many consider NOT having a clutch a NEGATIVE, I prefer it!

For single riding, I prefer the FJR1300AE to the GL1800. I find the FJR to be very comfortable for 600-1000 mile day rides. Obviously the GL1800 is also, but I like NOT having the extra 300+ pounds.

Merry XMAS!

Shane

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Toyo said:
I cant imagine putting money down on a bike that even isnt built yet. I would have to wait and see how it shakes out.
Toyo, to make my thinking transparent I generally would agree, but I have ulterior motives.

First, my sons senior year is next year, if I want a summer ride with him, it will need to be next summer. After that he is off to college and beginning a new phase of his life, who knows if it will ever happen.

Second, I will not buy him a motorcycle, I have told him he has to be responsible enough to buy his own street bike. So, in the long run, I am buying this bike for me.

Third, I have always ridden Kawaski's until I bought the wing. Every bike will have it's problems, a new model especially. But Kawasaki has been making bikes for many years and I have been mostly happy with the quality.

Most problems with new models are not insurmountable. There are still a number of folks on this board who ride '01' wings and are happy with them. If the new model turns out to have huge engineering problems (e.g. the '07 Harley 110's) I will get rid of it and chalk it up to experience (this wouldn't be the first time this has happened to me).

Of course this is my own circumstances and I wouldn't ask anyone to do what I have done or to agree with me or even understand.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
The bike looks like a real honey and I briefly considered the same type of thing. Problem is, I just love my Wing too much to part with it and the wife is a no go on a second bike. Also for the sake of comfort with style, amenities, and the wife I'll keep Wingin it. But hey if you do end up getting one and don't have time to properly break it in for some reason. I just live down road from ya. I'd be glad to scuff in the tires and flog the hell out of it for ya. I mean as a fellow member and neighbor it's the least I could do, right? :p :p 8) :lol: Terry

·
Registered
2,675 Posts

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Good morning (Joe)jafi_fink, I was actually responding to sh4325 post out of the Woodlands but hey your close by too and my cordial offer still applies. :lol:I'm actually little further north off Rayford/Sawdust across from the Woodlands. Have a good one, enjoy that ride. Terry

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
Sweet Jesus.
I was in control until I saw those videos.
Holy Moly, I got wood now.
:shock:
I guess I'll need some bar risers, a big seat, Laminar Lip, and a CB radio w/intercom.
Anybody know the valve adjustment interval?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.