GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to turn the POS navigation system that came with my 2008 Wing to something useful. Specifically, I want a unit that can do some route planning. Can this be done? If so how? I would hate to purchase a separate GPS unit, but instead would rather make the in-dash GL1800 navigation system functional.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Let er rip boys.....

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
That can easily be accomplished w/the purchase of a RAM motorcycle mount and the GPS unit of your choice.
or
Using the Honda's Nav:
In put your destination
Then edit the route by adding several "via's" to get there the way you want to go.
or
Trade for 2012- but wait until Honda gets them fixed so they don't crash

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The Honda Nav system has two things going for it:
  1. You can't forget to bring it with you
  2. If someone steals it, they've stolen the whole bike anyway
Me? I'd rather use one of my smartphones + Ram mount or my $80 Garmin Nuvi + Ram mount and get more features.

But that's just me.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I would like to turn the POS navigation system that came with my 2008 Wing to something useful. Specifically, I want a unit that can do some route planning. Can this be done? If so how? I would hate to purchase a separate GPS unit, but instead would rather make the in-dash GL1800 navigation system functional.
Just curious, have you read the manual for it?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have a 06 with a GPS and I have over 80,000 miles and it worked every time I used it. I could plan a route on my computer but the route the GPS designed was always shorter and if I didn't like the road I was on, the gps would recalculate once I was on my new selected road. It works so well that it allows me to do other things at night when on a trip, like sleep. Compared to my brothers Gamin, I will take my bike GPS any day.

Just pick you daily destination and enjoy the ride, leave your computer and phone at home and enjoy the ride even more.

Dan L

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
don't hold your breath for a better one..

I've heard...
my 2008 GPS works way better than the 2012 model.
:twisted:

the best tip is..
..don't go typing stuff..
.. just use the arrow key to point where you want to go and it will take you there.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Pete at BikeMP3 is working on a replacement GPS that will use the OEM display. I don't know when he plans to have it for sale, but I know he is in the process of testing it, and the reports I have heard sound very positive.
I check the thread over on the electric/gps forum daily waiting for the announcement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pete at BikeMP3 is working on a replacement GPS that will use the OEM display. I don't know when he plans to have it for sale, but I know he is in the process of testing it, and the reports I have heard sound very positive.
Sounds promising. That would be nice.

Just curious, have you read the manual for it?
Yes, I have read the manual.

I have a 06 with a GPS and I have over 80,000 miles and it worked every time I used it. I could plan a route on my computer but the route the GPS designed was always shorter and if I didn't like the road I was on, the gps would recalculate once I was on my new selected road. It works so well that it allows me to do other things at night when on a trip, like sleep. Compared to my brothers Gamin, I will take my bike GPS any day.

Just pick you daily destination and enjoy the ride, leave your computer and phone at home and enjoy the ride even more.

Dan L
Sure the GPS will get you from point A to point B. Route planning is what I want to do, which can't be done with the GL1800 NAVI. Sure, one can input wayward points, but that defeats the purpose of being able to real route planning.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Sure the GPS will get you from point A to point B. Route planning is what I want to do, which can't be done with the GL1800 NAVI. Sure, one can input wayward points, but that defeats the purpose of being able to real route planning.
Now that I don't understand. What is so "can't be done"? Trip plan away, then input your destination and enter vias to get you there by the route you planned:shrug::shrug:

Always getting a shorter route is because you have selected "shortest route" which you will get, even if it has to route you on a one lane narrow, rough county road in the middle of no where.

Any way, I love my $1000, user friendly, enhanced road map;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Of course you can only program one route at a time and once you ride it (or pre ride it if you are planning on leading a ride) the route is gone so you have to put it in over again.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you have planned out the route, why do you need a GPS?? You worry to much about pre-ride details, let the Great Planning system(GPS) do the work for you and then you can enjoy the sites and views as you ride along. Every time I planned my route the GPS picked roads I never thought of tasking, when you chose shortest route. I think if you learn how to use your GPS, you will enjoy the ride or trip better.

Dan L

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you have planned out the route, why do you need a GPS?? You worry to much about pre-ride details, let the Great Planning system(GPS) do the work for you and then you can enjoy the sites and views as you ride along. Every time I planned my route the GPS picked roads I never thought of tasking, when you chose shortest route. I think if you learn how to use your GPS, you will enjoy the ride or trip better.

Dan L
There's more than one way to ride a Goldwing. Some days I'm in the mood to hit up the scenery and only use the GPS to find my way home after getting myself totally lost. Other times, such as today, I'll be leading a pack of sports bikes out on routes that take us through some of the best twisties Texas has to offer. On those type of rides, a typical day route for me will consist of 24 different back country roads and 350 miles. If it's a route that I have done many times over, a GPS isn't needed. But I do like to learn new routes and a good working GPS would be beneficial in such cases.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Dan L
Sometimes I lead a group on a very specific ride. When I lead a group I want to make sure there are no surprises so I will pre-ride it if I can. That means I have to program it twice.. Once for the pre-ride and alll over again for the ride.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The Honda Nav system has two things going for it:
  1. You can't forget to bring it with you
  2. If someone steals it, they've stolen the whole bike anyway
Got that right!

Actually #1 isn't a big issue, I always see the empty Ram Mount before I back out of the garage.

My biggest complaint was that the screen was so hard to see much of the time due to the glare. I guess it would be very good at night :?

That said, I almost never preplan a route with any GPS.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
All you need is a crowbar and some cardboard.

1. Take crowbar and "crowbar" unit out of dash
2. Use cardboard to cover the uninstall
3. Buy trailer and some PBR and enjoy the "fruits" of your labor showing "the man" you don't need a GPS

Matt(BCNV):thumbup:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts