GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here so if I am in the wrong area please let me know.

I am going to buy a new Wing very soon, I have never owned one before. I have decided on the ABS model. I need a little help on deciding between the 2008 or the 2009 model. There does not seem to be much in the way of significant changes between the two. I know about the tire pressure warning system. I also know about the XM/trraffic/weather features of the GPS. I have heard that the 2009 GPS is brighter or easier to read but cannot verify that. The dealer told me that the 2009 seat has been slightly modified as well. While all of those features are welcome I don't know if they add up to the extra money for the 2009. I have not nailed down the price yet but it appears that the difference between the 2008 and the 2009 will be about $1000.

I recognize that trying to decide between a 2008 and 2009 Wing is a nice problem to have, particularly in these trying economic times.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Incidentally, I took a fifty mile test ride yesterday. I know I don't have to convince anyone here about what a wonderful machine this Wing is so I won't try. I will report that everything I have read and heard about this cruiser is true. Powerful, stable, comfortable beyond description, surprisingly maneuverable and a pure joy to ride. I will have one before this week is out.

Thanks,

Ken ONeill
Colleyville, Tx

·
Registered
495 Posts
These are just my opinions, but here goes...

I have an '08 ABS and love it. I've heard of issues regarding TPMS errors in cold weather. A low pressure light would bug me if I didn't have a low tire. As for the GPS, I like the look of the updated version on the '09s but not enough to warrant the higher price of the '09 vs the '08. It has a 3D view which mine does not have and the '09 version actually speaks road names (ie. "turn right on 2nd street" vs "turn right in 500 feet.") It still has the same shortcomings... unable to download routes from a computer, unable to save multiple routes, no speed indication, etc. I like the ability to pull up real-time weather info overlayed over the map, but I'm not sure I'd use it enough to warrant continuing to pay for a subscription. The only feature I'd probably opt for had it been offered in '08 is the satellite radio. Then again, I can always add an aftermarket satellite setup on my bike if the need arises.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
If the difference is only $1k your choice is obvious (09). Be certain that it is ABS as you say. I believe you can find an 08 out there alot cheaper than the 09 as there is lots of stock left. Check hals prices here on the board. They are one of the best around. There are multiple threads here about places to buy and what people paid for.

Do not be afaid to go to the Texas site here on the board and ask around if you are into riding or want to ride with others. There are a lot of organizations around to look at and to choose. Just hang with them for a few rides and see which one you feel most comfortable with.

Lastly for farkles, imho, a CB is necessary. Alot of people do not think so but with riding with more than one it really helps. I am not into blue tooth and the CD changer is not necessary. Everyone has ipods, xfm etc. so what ever you choose is up to you.

Take a course ARC for example just to learn the ins and outs of the bike and for the nutty people in their cages out there for your safety. I take one every year but i also do not ride year round.

Make sure its silver and post pictures once you get it, and welcome to our humble family where there are no stupid questions just stupid answers

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
First, welcome aboard. There's a lot of great information here on owning, riding, and maintaining a GL1800 of any year.

If I was deciding between a '08 and '09, just remember, any dealer would love to see you spend a extra $1,000.
If that difference is true, I don't know, but I'm sure some will add to this that just bought one.

Good Luck on your choice and come back soon.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just did this. f you pay cash it may not matter much.

If you purchase a 2008 and finance it through Honda Motor Credit, the interest rate is 0.99%. I believe that this rate may expire this month.

If you purchase a 2009 and finance it through Honda Motor Credit, the interest rate is, I'm pretty sure they quoted me, 3.8%.

When I did my shopping, there was WAY more difference than $1000 between year models.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely check out Ebay for pricing on new 08 or 09..... the power dealers in Oklahoma and Arkansas offer much better deals than the ones in Texas....

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
The discount applied to the carry models is because of their diminished value.

You discount a 08 $1k because it is a year old.

However, if you're going to keep the bike, a deal is a deal. Every year that goes by the factor for buying a carry over is less and less.

I would advise you to purchase an ABS bike for safety first and resale value second.

·
Registered
792 Posts
For me I look at it like OK the more junk it haves on it, the more that can go wrong. I know thats wrong and poeple like their toys to play with. My came with a weather band on the radio, I don't know if the new ones have it any more. I don't want a NAV system telling me to turn here or turn there, if I can't look at a map and remember where to turn for 4 hours, then I should hang up riding.
Buy the one that fits your needs and your wants. All the changes that Honda has made you can write on the head of a pin as far as the basic motorcycle, all they have done is to add more junk to play with.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I have to assume that you would prefer the Pearl Hot Rod Yellow! That leaves your choice to the 2009; a very small price to pay for the purtiest Gold Wing color on the road today. I know you'll make the right decision!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the quick responses. I have been checking on eBay and have found a 2008 ABS model for $19.6 and a 2009 ABS model for $20.5. My local Honda dealer told me he would match those prices. I am leaning toward the 2009 model. As I mentioned, not a bad problem to have. I have had bikes on and off for decades. My last was a Harley Fat Boy. Wonderful, fun motorcycle but no good for long distance riding which is what I crave. The only bike I have had that comes close to a cruiser was a BMW K75, sport cruiser. I had that bike when I was 40, I am 63 now. When trying to stop at an intersection (slight downward slope, light rain) I locked up the Beemers wheels and slid into the intersection. I stayed upright but it scared me and if a car had been coming it would have been very bad. That is one of the reasons I am getting ABS. I know there are very strong opinions about this issue and I place value on all of them but my mind is clear on ABS. I am going to take the MSF safety course, can't believe I have not done so in the past.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I would go for the 09..:shrug:

Ed..:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I'm kind of in the same situation but I'm not going for an ABS version even though I'm a huge fan of ABS on a bike (I traveled 600 miles to buy my '08 V-Rod because it was only one of 4 in the country with ABS at the time). The main reason I'm not going ABS is because they force you to buy an hugely overpriced NAV system to get it.

One more thing to check, unless the dealer has one in stock I'm told there are no more ABS '09's available unless you want an airbag model. The dealer had no reason to lie, he was just telling me my options.

For me, I just want an "option 1" bike. For '08 that's just the audio system. For '08 they force the comfort system on you and since I"ll probably get a Ultimate seat the comfort package is a huge waste for me. I could care less about TPMS, that's more of a government mandated thing than a real valuable option. Aside from that and colors there is no difference between the bikes. Once I have the cash in hand I'll simply ask the dealer for 2 prices, one for an option 1 '08 and one for an option 1 '09 and decide then. If the '08 is $2000 or more cheaper, which it should be, and they can get one in black then my decision is made.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I faced the same issue of '08 vs '09 several months ago, compounded by the fact that I needed two bikes. Fortunately, Honda made the choice for my wife & I by not offering black as a color option on the 2009s. We are the very satisfied owners of 2 black ABS '08s. :excited: BTW, I agree that the longer you keep the scooter, the less the impact of buying "left-over." For example, I sold my 2003 Harley Ultra in December with 143K miles on the clock. I doubt that I would have sold it any faster or for any more money if it had been a 2004 model :lol: Good luck with whatever decision you make -- NN

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just had the same problem. :lol: I picked up a new Red '09 last Saturday. I debated for awhile between the 08 and 09 due to cost, but I thought that when you drive it off the lot, it's already a year old. That and the few new features I thought what the heck you're spending that much money, might as well go for it all. :p

PS You will love the bike, I can't wait to get back on the road....

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i went through the same questionon in october

the choice became very easy, once i found a few things out

the only differences are the tire monitor and the weather-xm is built in

the tire monitor is useless to me, i run 41# of air, and it is set up for 36

its not a read out, but a blinky light

i couldnt care less about the weather

and if i did want xm, its built into my zumo gps

which of course one needs to add a real gps to either the 08 or 09

there are lots of add on gps units that have real weather avaible

i went for the abs 08, and pocketed the extra $2400 as compared to the 09

i spent $125 on a digital readout tire monitor, that actual shows the tire pressure

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I went with the '09. Mostly because I liked the color in '09 better. But for $1k more, you get the current model bike plus the upgrades. It was an easy decision for me and I have been enjoying all the new features that the '09 has over the '08. For me it was well worth the extra $1k.

Good luck on your choice. Which ever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.:cool:

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I went with the '09. Mostly because I liked the color in '09 better. But for $1k more, you get the current model bike plus the upgrades. It was an easy decision for me and I have been enjoying all the new features that the '09 has over the '08. For me it was well worth the extra $1k.

Good luck on your choice. Which ever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.:cool:
That's my point, the price difference should be far greater than $1K unless your dealer has their head up their ass. The '09 is $1K higher in base price simply because they added the comfort package, factor in at least another $1000 for model year and the difference should be far closer to $2000. If it's not and you want heated seats then the '09 is the better value.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
That's my point, the price difference should be far greater than $1K unless your dealer has their head up their ass. The '09 is $1K higher in base price simply because they added the comfort package, factor in at least another $1000 for model year and the difference should be far closer to $2000. If it's not and you want heated seats then the '09 is the better value.
Yes I understand what you are saying. Maybe he can find an '08 for $2k under an '09. I don't know. I'm addressing the man's question and he is looking at a $1k difference. :roll:

I'd still pay $2k more for the '09. :lol:

·
Registered
677 Posts
This last February we went to look at new helmets & we came home with a '08 ABS. WE looked real hard at the '09' because they had them marked down $1,000, then they showed us a '08' with ABS that I would like to have but not the red one because every one had red, but he made us a deal we couldn't turn down being $4,000 less than a '09' with ABS. That Metallic Red's not that bad a color for that price, & it grows on you, the more I see it the better I like it.
For $4,000 I can take an '08' over a '09' for sure + the better APR rate. :thumbup:

:congrats: on what every one you get, like you I think ABS is the way to go.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
mine was $2400 less than an 09

and then theres a savings on sales tax as well

if you only got $1000 off for an 08

your at the wrong dealer

1 - 20 of 21 Posts