GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5,500 on the ODM

One of todays repairs, another 2008 with a fan rubbing a hole in the radiator.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I would think the owner woulda heard that.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know ... me too. However, his complaint was antifreeze on his left head cover. To test the fans, I did start it to see if the fans came on, both did, with no noise. My guess is that the anti-freeze was providing enough of a lubricant. He did say that his fans seemed to cycle on/off often, but with low coolant they would.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I purchased my 08 three years ago my fan was rubbing just a little.So had to adjust them when I had the shelter off for a air cleaner change. Is it just a 08 thing?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I thought there was a recall for that where the standoffs were replaced to make the fans slightly further from the radiators.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You know ... me too. However, his complaint was antifreeze on his left head cover. To test the fans, I did start it to see if the fans came on, both did, with no noise. My guess is that the anti-freeze was providing enough of a lubricant. He did say that his fans seemed to cycle on/off often, but with low coolant they would.
MAYBE...he had the coolant leak first, causing excessive fan running. If the duty cycle on the fan motors is rated low, perhaps they just ran too often and the motor sheave/bearings/shaft became severely worn.

It's not the same thing exactly, but I had an old water pump in a 1956 straight 6 Ford F-150 that, when it failed, allowed the fan blade to wobble right into the radiator. I got to hitch hike home that night, took me 8 hours to get 40 miles. But that's a different story.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought there was a recall for that where the standoffs were replaced to make the fans slightly further from the radiators.
5th gens have no standoffs. The shroud assembly that holds the fan motor mounts directly to the radiators.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Greg, you are correct again as always. It had been awhile since I had seen any posts about this problem and couldn't remember what was done. I just recalled seeing a couple threads about this when I was researching before I bought my 07. It wasnt wide spread but seemed to only happen to 07 and 08 models and was only the left radiator. I went back to old threads and one mentioned that they had the problem and some shim kit was used to create more of a gap between left radiator and fan. But it has been quite awhile since I have seen this problem pop up.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back to old threads and one mentioned that they had the problem and some shim kit was used to create more of a gap between left radiator and fan.
I considered doing that. But since its hard to determine what has actually "deformed" itself, how would one know that the deformation will not continue ??? For a DIYr, that might be a good choice ... if it happens again, shim it more. However, as a professional, and having to charge for a repair, having to "re-charge" for a repair again is hard to explain.

Also, before I would ever shim, I would bend the mount taps out on the radiator. A mount tab can be seen in the picture at the top in the middle.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts