GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group. Im new to the Goldwing, recently purchased a 2008 GL1800 with built in satnav.
Ive not had much of a chance to search the net with regards to how the systems work etc so have a few questions.

1 Where is the sat nav Map/ software stored on the bike.

2 How can i update the maps etc. (Based in UK)

Many thanks for the time to read my post.
Im havnt got a clue on what map version i currently have and dont have a clue how to find out so all advise is much appreciated.

Thankyou.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The GPS unit is in the trunk on the back wall. The software and maps are stored on a CF card that plugs into the left side of the unit.

Two ways to update the maps:
1. Buy the update from Garmin. BUT, the latest they offer for the US for a 2008 is the 2014 maps I wouldnt expect any better for the UK maps.
2. If you have a Garmin GPS with lifetime maps you can do it yourself. There's very long thread on it here:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/118-navi/72686-fyi-how-update-your-navi-latest-everything.html

·
Registered
909 Posts
To tell what firmware and map version you have, bring up the map, hit the "Menu" button, then go to "Setup/Info" and then select "System Info". This will tell you what version of firmware you are running and what map version you are running. That's a good start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks guys, my map is 2015 so i guess that would be the last update available for my system. ?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner did you a favor by updating your NAV system. What was the firmware version that was on it? That’ll help if you want to update on your own later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner did you a favor by updating your NAV system. What was the firmware version that was on it? That’ll help if you want to update on your own later.

Griffalo to the SatNav rescue again!!! :grin2:

My advice...Heed what he says...he pretty much single-handedly, with PM's and email comm, got my 2007 completely updated.

Much obliged again Griff!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Glad to be able to help someone else with this. Just passing it along from others who have helped me with on thing or another.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thats what it says. Not sure where to look to see if there is an updated version or if that was the last update available.

If I am right you are in Europe so becareful about updating your firmware. There appears to be a difference between the EU versions and the US.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thats what it says. Not sure where to look to see if there is an updated version or if that was the last update available.

Davrus, my experience is limited to the US version of the NAV unit. I don’t know what the latest version is for Europe or the latest map version. Wish I could help more, but that is all I know about the European version.

·
Registered
881 Posts
You will find that the European firmware has different languages and takes into account the differences way we drive , left side vs. right side. Also measurements in kilometers vs. miles.

There was a gps site that was doing an incredible job of hacking the US Firmware to work with the EU goldwing nav but someone , Garmin , shut them down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts