GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a question regarding the CB for a 2009 GL1800; I am currently in the process of purchasing my very first Goldwing and one of the things that I was unaware of is that they do not come with a CB radio. Yes I know one of those rookie mistakes. I would like to ask the seasoned riders if there are any alternatives to the Honda brand (as the price I was quoted was astronomical to say the least), I did not know that a CB could be so expensive. Also if there are any aftermarket brands out there which one would be an ideal one as a plug and play type. If there is anyone out here close to me (Milton Florida) that I could talk to and answer my rookie questions I would be really appreciative. Any and all information that you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

Seaknight

·
Registered
645 Posts
Well now, You have hit upon a much discussed and very sore subject to most Goldwing Owners.
Yes - the OEM CB Radio IS expensive.
Maybe - there are alternatives, BUT NONE of them have fully interfaced functionality.
No - if you really want to use the bikes interface then you'll need the Honda CB. Cost is always a concern, - you can always wait a while, try and find one on sale (Hal (Sponsor of this board sells them and usually will be part of any sale he has)) - work with a salvage shop to try and find one.. there are options. (Not all really good options, but they are out there).

HTH.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,198 Posts
Ebay has listings for new ones on occasion. I haven't seen the antenna listed very often. Congrats and Goodluck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Yea, SeaKnight, your options are limited... it is overpriced because, well, Honda is the only ones who make it.

Don't forget the cost of speakers and mic for the helmet, and wire to run from helmet to bike... for just the wire, that alone is about $50.

The CB cost does not included the antenna... check out Sierra Electronics deal too on the web. Had mine installed by them at Daytona during bike week.

I'd say if you have a helmet that can accept the speakers/mic, expect to spend close to $1000 for CB, antenna, and headset/mic/wire...

Sierra installed mine, with purchase of two Nolan N103 helmets, all stuff installed and set up for $1200 per bike.

Consider yourself lucky... I had to buy two...:eek:4:

Welcome to Goldwing!!!

...NOT a cheap hobby.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
You can get the CB and antenna from the sponsor of this site for around $700.00. If you have any mechanical ability at all you can put it in. When you get ready to do it you will get a lot of help here on how it's done. Or if there is an accessory shop anywhere near where you live you might get a quote from them to do the job. Headset can run anywhere from $79.00 to over $225.00, It's a big expense but if you ride in a group you really need the CB.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Really the best way to go is GMRS/FRS radio it's great but the ones you ride with have to have it also
I told my dealer upon buying the last two wings to give the radio to me at HIS cost and also antenna, he did I installed it my self, but it is very little used but nice to talk in a group when group riding, but yes expensive,
really if ya can go GMRS I use the midland 850 often listed on e-bay comes with headsets and all cords and chargers about 80.00 bucks for two. also use them all the time here on the farm.
This is FM which is so much better then AM (CB) I'm a Ham Radio guy and really wish we would ALL go GMRS.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
My brother originally bought an ST1300 and wanted a CB so he could communicate with me on the Wing. My wife has a scooter and also wanted to communicate. We solved the problem by buying Cobra handheld Cb's from Sierra Electronics during Bike Week. They sell the radio with a universal handlebar mount, helmet headset, and push to talk switch for around $200 bucks. The radios work great and sound no different than any other CB, plus have about a one mile range. They're perfect for the solo rider. My brother recently bought a new Wing and is selling his Cobra outfit. He is buying the Honda CB next week. I'm going to post the details on the for sale section for him soon.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Honda doesn't make the CB, they have it made for them (Panasonic IIRC). Because it needs to interface with the rest of the stereo system, there really are no viable options.
It depends, really, on how much you plan to use it. I opted NOT to put one on my '02, since I'd had one on the '82 Aspencade for 20 years and almost never used it, and the Hondaline unit was not frequently on sale back in '02 or '03.
However, after my first group trip to North Carolina, using a handheld that I put in my pocket, with a remote mike on my collar like the cops use ... the very first thing I did on my return was to buy the CB.
Very shortly after I bought my '09, I purchased the CB on eBay. The radios are almost always on there and you frequently see radio and antenna packages. The best price during the last month was $665 for both (although I might have missed a better deal since I'm not shopping anymore).
Also note that you have a choice of several antennas. My experience has been that the separate Hondaline is much better than the Sierra, and I certainly wouldn't recommend changing the current antenna for a dual pupose ... but everyone has different experiences and opinions.
Bottom line is whether you want/need to talk to other folks with a CB.

·
Vendor
445 Posts
Honda CB radios have always been designed and manufactured by Clarion in Japan until 2009 and now they are being designed by Radio Sound in Louisville, KY., and manufactured in Japan. This is the same company that for many years made the Stereo and CB for the HD until 2006. They are also making the stereo system for the Victory Vision and CB for all the metric bikes.
Not to get into a spitting contest here but the Sierra CB antenna, which is designed to increase CB performance, will give better TX and RX range than any system with stock metal antennas.You definitely will lose a lot of the AM and possibly some FM reception because unlike any other multi band CB antenna systems , the splitter I designed is pass through for the CB and capacitive coupled for the AM-FM.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Seaknight,

Ditto on the Sierra antenna! I have noticed no loss in AM or FM reception, but then I don't listen to the radio that much anyway.

The really cool thing about the Sierra antenna system is ease of installation and the ability to go back to stock if you ever decide to sell you bike. That way, you can sell the CB separately and get more money. Also, there are no holes to drill and frankly, the single antenna looks SO MUCH BETTER!

Once you have the CB and antenna, if you want to make the trip over to JAX one weekend, come on over and I'll put it in for you. I can do it in less than an hour AND you can learn how to remove your seat, dash and shelter so future maintenance will be easier.

If you decide on the Sierra, this is the antenna you want: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE-GL1806-SOLO3

While I try to purchase everything I can from Hal, because we live here in Florida, we have to pay sales tax. Whenever I buy big ticket items from Hal, I have them shipped to a friend in Atlanta and pick them up when I go up there, which fortunately is quite often.

I believe Sierra also sells the Honda CB radio so you could pick up both from them and save on the sales tax! Check with Diana at Sierra.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
the person who gets a normal cb to function on a wing, makes a lot of cash

until then its $700 with an antenna

·
Registered
899 Posts
I installed my own and it wasnt that hard I also used the sierra antenna and it works great!:excited:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all and thanks for your input; it looks like this is one battle I will not be able to win unless I pony up the $$$ for the Honda type CB. Is there any other alternative besides the OEM stuff? I noticed that the Cobra hand held and the GRMS were options that were mentioned. anyone have any thoughts on these and maybe an online retailer that may carry these? Bartman if and when I get all the stuff together I will let you know, Jax is only fours or so from me.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
FRED; I noticed in the newest J&M catalog that they make a FRS/GMRS radio plug in to their radio setup I thought that was a good option.
I just tried to find it don't know what I did with catalog, but I think it plugs into their hookup only.
What you said really should not be hard to do for a Ham Radio guy, all ya need is to enable the PTT and input sound into aux in.
maybe contact J&M and tell them there is a really big market for an interface for these radio's better quality cheaper way out

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
FRED; I noticed in the newest J&M catalog that they make a FRS/GMRS radio plug in to their radio setup I thought that was a good option.
I just tried to find it don't know what I did with catalog, but I think it plugs into their hookup only.
What you said really should not be hard to do for a Ham Radio guy, all ya need is to enable the PTT and input sound into aux in.
maybe contact J&M and tell them there is a really big market for an interface for these radio's better quality cheaper way out
Maybe we should contact Lewis at EC or Jon Kennedy and see if they can make one.

Does anybody have a copy of the CB schematics? I thought there were a few copies floating around on the web a couple years back. If I could get my hands on them, I might be able to figure out a way to do this.

·
Registered
233 Posts
New cb

Try the new gl2way website. You can get acb and fmrs for about $500 with antenna. New technology and directly interfaces with the 1800.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts