GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at upgrading from a 2007 to a 2009. My main sticking point is the Navigation unit.

I ride about 18,000 miles a year, I do long rides, and I'm looking at doing my first sanctioned ironbutt this year, a ride to texas, and a possible 13 collonies tour starting out at rolling thunder.

THe problem with these long rides is weather. Last summer it took me three days to ride through Kansas due to weather. I new the weather was bad, what I didn't know was if it was bad where I was going. Sure, there was a tornado in BFE county, but as that 100 miles away or 10 miles away?

I know that the new navi has weather integration, but what does that mean? Is it just a list of the local weather conditions like they show on honda's website or is it something more meaningful like highlighting and displaying weather conditions along the planned route?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure how it works, personally I place more faith in local radio weather reports as I ride.
Unortunately there are places where the only thing I know is the highway I am on.

There's that 85 mile stretch through Wyoming, the Oklahoma turnpike, the list could go on forever, but the point it when weather radio announces golfball sized hail in Wheremiat county, I often haven't a clue if I'm riding into it or riding away from it.

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
The weather info is displayed on the GPS screen. I have some screen shots of the radar here:

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gpsweatherscreens

It shows you the Doppler weather radar overlayed on the GPS map, so you can see where the rain is and how bad it is. It also shows cloud cover, but it does not animate the radar like the Garmin 376 does.

It shows wind conditions, storm alerts, road conditions (ice/snow) and traffic and road construction info. It gives you weather voice alerts ("Rain in the area") and mini pop-up window that shows a miniature radar map in one corner of the screen if rain or bad weather is within about 10 or 15 miles of you. If you hold in on the ZOOM button on the handlebar, it will then toggle to the weather and traffic screens, and you can page through them while moving. The radar info is not overlayed on the main road map screen, so you do have to change screens to see it. But the pop up alert windows will warn you if you have rain nearby.

For the most part, they did a good job with the weather and traffic data, but you still can NOT load routes into it like you can any "normal" GPS. Honda still apparently hasn't gotten the message that being able to load routes made on a PC is one of the most valuable features to have in a GPS on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed to know!

Looks like I'm getting my yellow wing this year!!!

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
Thank you!

That is exactly what I needed to know!

Looks like I'm getting my yellow wing this year!!!
Better hurry before they raise the price again. :eek:4:

By the way, I agree with you about the Weather Radio. All they give you is county names where storms and rain are. When I am 3,000 miles from home and in unfamiliar territory, I have no idea where the county lines are or what the county name is. I'm usually doing good if I know what towns are nearby or can remember the number of the road I am on.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Seabear70: By using the Navi's Menu system, you can also punch up the local weather conditions and forecasts for any specified state-city name of choice. That might be a help if you know in advance the city or cities your planned route will be taking you toward or through, route-wise or destination-wise. Which you can always determine by zooming and panning the map, of course.
when stopped, that is. Perhaps during gas-ups.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Navi Weather/Traffic

I have an 09 with the Navi/XM package. It came with a 90 day trial period for the XM,traffic,weather. My trial expires in 4 days from this posting date, and at this time I'm not going to renew it. I called and it will run around $250.00 a year to keep it. I ride but not that much. The other reason I'm not renewing is that you can pay up front for the XM radio service for a year, but not the traffic and weather which they will bill you monthly or quarterly. I was told they were trying to put together a package with all of them for one annual price tag. When they do that, I might go for it. Just wanted to let you know!

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I have an 09 with the Navi/XM package. It came with a 90 day trial period for the XM,traffic,weather. My trial expires in 4 days from this posting date, and at this time I'm not going to renew it. I called and it will run around $250.00 a year to keep it. I ride but not that much. The other reason I'm not renewing is that you can pay up front for the XM radio service for a year, but not the traffic and weather which they will bill you monthly or quarterly. I was told they were trying to put together a package with all of them for one annual price tag. When they do that, I might go for it. Just wanted to let you know!
Call them back and tell the idiot who gave you that quote that you want the XM NavTraffic/NavWeather package and NOT the much more expensive XM WX Weather package. You shouldn't be paying anywhere near that much.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Call them back and tell the idiot who gave you that quote that you want the XM NavTraffic/NavWeather package and NOT the much more expensive XM WX Weather package. You shouldn't be paying anywhere near that much.

The price he was quoted is correct for XM, Nav weather, and Nav traffic for 12 months which is what he asked for.

I renewed my trial for all 3 services............for a 3-month interval ($19.95 x 3 = $59.85). If I do nothing it automatically renews for another 3 months. I don't want to be tied into a one year contract as you don't save much if any anyway plus I don't need it for the winter months.

I suspect I'll only subscribe to XM weather after I try it for a bit...........

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Fred the radar screen that comes up, is it live at that point and time and how do you keep it live on the screen as your driving?

·
Registered
964 Posts
The weather screens automatically update every 5 minutes. The pictures also animate between the 5 minute intervals when the bike is not moving. The age of the information is displayed in the lower left hand corner of the display, -5 min, -10min and so on as the animation rolls though the screens.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts