GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here got a new roadking?
6 speeds transmission @54 mph 96 cubic inches, sounds like a neat around town bike to me. Is it normal for a harley dealer to add freight
to the list price plus setup, plus doc fees? slightly over 20k out the door
for an abs model. It is not a classic, i prefer the one with mag wheels.

Any and all input appreciated, are there any deals out there on Harley road Kings?

What is your opinion of this machine?
tia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes its normal for them to add freight, setup & whatever they feel like they can get away with. You wont get 54 mpg either, more like in the 40's with stock exhaust & air cleaner. The heat from the stock pipes is HOT. You will have to add a high flow air cleaner kit & change the pipes to get better performance & it will also kill your mpg.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I rode one and was really impressed with the improved handling
and very low vibration at hwy speeds in 6th gear.

Acceleration is sorely lacking...
(my friend with an 88 stage 1 Ultra stayed right along side with the stock 96 king
.... which should have easily walked away with more cubes and lighter weight?)

Price was about what you said but ...
...the main problem was they only offered me $7,500 trade for my 2007 'wing
(and I've got about $3,000 worth of extras on it ...)
:-(

Dennis

·
Registered
359 Posts
Aaaa, JD, I can appreciate your curiosity with the Road King (having been a Harley owner in the past myself) but wouldn't that question be better answered on a Harley forum?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Find a dealer to roadtest one. I did at a recent M/C show in Az. I was not impressed, I have owned many HD's over the yrs. The 09 still has the shakes until your at 55+mph. Harleys are nice bikes but way over priced.

Last summer I bought an 07 Superglide W/96 and 6 speed, did not feel any differant than my 02 softail. After 3k miles I sold it. was not enough bike for the $$.

Check out a Kaw Nomad, They have a new model coming out which is real nice but any 08's around you would prolly save 8K over the HD, I have an 02 Nomad, the smoothness and handleing is like night and day over the HD. These are my opinions I'm sure others will differ.

I went in a Harley dealer here in Az with a friend last week, he was asking about a RK, they simply say MSRP + shipping, dealer prep, setup tax and title. I have heard of some dealer discounting 08's up to $2000??

Az bike week is coming in April with loads of demos as is Daytona bike week which looks closer to you.

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
I rode one and was really impressed with the improved handling
and very low vibration at hwy speeds in 6th gear.

Acceleration is sorely lacking...
(my friend with an 88 stage 1 Ultra stayed right along side with the stock 96 king
.... which should have easily walked away with more cubes and lighter weight?)

Price was about what you said but ...
...the main problem was they only offered me $7,500 trade for my 2007 'wing
(and I've got about $3,000 worth of extras on it ...)
:-(

Dennis
I will offer you $7500 cash for your 07 and you can keep the accessories

·
Registered
200 Posts
JD, do you go to the HD forums to ask Goldwing questions? Just curious...
I read an HD form ocationally and find that many have this 13 yr old mentality about M/C's, I sometimes wonder if they really are 13-16 yr olds posing? But many members give constructive mature anwsers.

One thread there was about a guy wanting to trade in his HD on a Goldwing,more than 1/2 the posts were so immature I just couldn't go on. But it did go on for 5-6 pages.

There are many former and present HD owners here that can give some unbias opinions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I will tell you the samething I tell everyone thinking about a Harley,
"RENT THE MODEL YOU WANT", for at least a 3 day weekend!
That way you'll either like it, or hate it. Much better then making a
$20/25K mistake. I have Harleys, and some models I don't like,
including the Road King. The Heritage, Road Glide, and Ultra's,
work for me, along with a few other models. I found this out
by renting them first.

Just a little advise.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I will offer you $7500 cash for your 07 and you can keep the accessories
I'd tell you the same thing I told the Harley dealer but this is a "family forum" ...
so, I'll just say "no thanks" ...
:)

Dennis

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Take a real good look at the Street Glide, much nicer than the RK ihmo. better resale too, RK's around here don't have a good resale value for some reason.:cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
With the economy in the shape it is in, IMHO, the buyer is in the drivers seat while purchasing any new motorcycle.

My wife and I rented an Ultra and put on almost 1000 miles in four days. I liked the bike but couldn't stand not having enough power to pass.

Good luck....

·
Registered
792 Posts
I guess I doing it all wrong, I kept my two wings and bought 09 Street Bob,
Street Bob around town and short runs, a 100 miles or less.
Two wheel wing is my long distant bike.
Trike is OUR trike, when we take off( the wife and I ).
I have been very lucky, wife that unstands my wants for good motorcycles, and the fact that I have the three that I've wanted for years.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have ridden a couple of the new Road Kings. They are really nice and for an unbalanced engine don't vibrate much. I have a Road Glide. They are all pretty much the same, just different trim. I like my Wing for specific reasons and like the Glide for it's own reasons. The only think I don't like about the King is the bags. It always looks like they are bent.....I guess that is why they have so many models. You pick the one you want. I agree with an earlier post. You can rent one and ride all day for a hunred and change. Ken

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
Yes its normal for them to add freight, setup & whatever they feel like they can get away with. You wont get 54 mpg either, more like in the 40's with stock exhaust & air cleaner. The heat from the stock pipes is HOT. You will have to add a high flow air cleaner kit & change the pipes to get better performance & it will also kill your mpg.
I test drove an 09 Road King and for me, the newly re-designed exhaust system is definitely cooler compared to the previous exhaust system.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
better opinons here

First off, i am not a harley member of the forums, and thought i might
get a better unbiased opinion here.
I do plan to rent one for an extended test drive before i even consider
buying one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Having both GW and HD, like many others on this forum, they are completely different approaches to having fun on a motorcycle. Many of those who bad-mouth the HD haven't even spent time in a HD seat, let alone owned one. They are not your Daddy's motorcycle. They are no longer the oil-leaking breaking-down crap sold by AMF decades ago, and haven't been for a while.

Vibration was mentioned. Only at idle. If that thing is vibrating at 55 mph, something is wrong with it. Personally, I like the vibration at idle. Power? Yep, the GW will run circles around it. Its my pet peeve with HD. They know how to make power, lots of it, but they know buyers will spend additional thousands to get it, so they keep power down to a crummy 65 hp or so. Handling? Both GW and HD are about equal here. The HD may even be a bit better with the new '09 frame, I dunno. Does Traxxion do Harleys? They seem to do a lot of GW's. Heat? An issue with the 96's in 07 and 08, easily taken care of but you'll have to spend some $$$. The 09 rerouted the exhaust and supposedly eliminated much of the gonad-searing heat. I spent $155 for a pair of real nice looking aluminum/leather shields that took care of that problem.

Some good responses here, but the best advice came from Tazmun. Rent one for several days. Didn't like that one? Try another. HD makes several different models in their Touring line, and they do feel and handle differently. I own an 08 Ultra because I wanted all the toys, but the Road Glide is, I think, the best handling one out there. Had an '01. A lot of die-hard HD guys just don't like that frame mounted fairing. The Super Glide is great. The Road King is good too. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Its fairly normal for many motorcycle dealers to add in freight and setup charges on the bikes they sell. I won't pay it though, I just went to another HD dealer. The three local dealers here all wanted to tack on those charges, so I drove 65 miles to another dealer that sells for less than MSRP, and no freight, prep, doc fees, etc. Paid the agreed-upon price, which was way below MSRP, plus state sales tax, and ride it home. Saved me over $2K on the Ultra. BTW, an ABS RK for over $20K out the door is not exactly a smokin deal right now. Not bad, but there's room to haggle. Get them to drop those freight and setup fees, charge a reasonable doc fee ($50-75, its all profit to them), and see what happens. If you wait another month though, its going to be harder to deal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have owned two Ultrs since 2003 and my wing since 07. IMHO the wing is a much more fun riding bike even though I look like a HD person with the fumanchu stash and all. I liked the ultars, but over long distance and even in town the wing runs and handles better.
It's your money, but consider a ST1300 or the Yamer FJR for something lighter and less expensive. TCO is higher on any HD compared to a metric bike

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes its normal {because they can}.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A friend of mine bought this exact bike this morning. Except it was an 08 with 10,000 miles for $12,500.00. He had a new one ordered out of Kansas at $18,500. The used one already had the $3,000.00 in accessories he was going to add.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts