GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Say it aint so, that would mean so many posts I've read here about V twins weren't true.

What I do wonder however is would it really have made a differance if he had used any other quality motor oil? Personally and this is nothing more than an opinion, I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Is this OUR oil man Tim?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt Amsoil performed any better than any quality oil. I'm more impressed with the Victory, I've heard they were very reliable machines...and this one is a 1999!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I doubt Amsoil performed any better than any quality oil. I'm more impressed with the Victory, I've heard they were very reliable machines...and this one is a 1999!
I agree, my 04 Kingpin has performed flawlessly, Victory did a great job overall designing these motors while overcoming inherited V-Twin heating problems with a innovative oil/air cooling system. I have been in parade speed traffic many times and my indicated oil temperature (dip stick thermometer) never has exceeded 210oF. :bow:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Victory

Yep, a Victory Vision or CC is high on my list if Honda doesn't make a big change with the GL sometime soon. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Tim is a personal friend of mine. He talked me into my first Victory. And I have ridden with him many of those miles! There are many Vics out there well over 100,000 miles and still running strong! And yes the 99 is the first year out. :congrats: Tim. Well done. BTW. That bike is still running. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hey Guys,
This is not the same Tim. His name was Tim Vipond and he lived near Houston. But, he did (and probably still does) sell Amsoil.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I wonder why he just doesn't keep riding it till it hits 300k? Last I heard, Tom Finch had over 226,000 miles on his red 2004 Goldwing (the "Deerslayer") and it was still running strong. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I wonder why he just doesn't keep riding it till it hits 300k? Last I heard, Tom Finch had over 226,000 miles on his red 2004 Goldwing (the "Deerslayer") and it was still running strong. :thumbup:

He's now on a Can Am. :eek:4: Tom :shrug:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I all so know Tim and have been on rides with him and can say he is quite the character.
Tom does Road Kill still have his Vegas?

Yes, still has the Victory Vegas. Tom :doorag:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for the article. I just purchased a 2011 Victory Cross Country, mainly for the wife cause it sits so low and is so easily to handle. I just love the bike and told the wife I wouldn't mind trading the wing in on one but I think I will keep the wing, just like it too much but this is a very nice bike and I think Victory is making a great product.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yes thanks, a great article. I rode a demo Victory Vision Tour. I was pleasently suprised how well it rode. I was very smooth and handled very well. Not enough to trade my '06 in for, but was glad to see a well built bike made in "America".

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Or our own Cycledude with over 320,000 miles on his 02 Goldwing, using whatever oil was on sale, and walmart filters.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Not bad for a V-twin. :yes1:

Like Wings, many are never asked by their owners for longevity.

I'd leave tomorrow for California on my '04 with 203k miles on the clock and wouldn't think a thing about it.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Not bad for a V-twin. :yes1:

Like Wings, many are never asked by their owners for longevity.

I'd leave tomorrow for California on my '04 with 203k miles on the clock and wouldn't think a thing about it.
PM sent!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I test rode a one of the very first Victory's available, long ago. I was very impressed by the power, solid feel, steady handling, looks, and finish. If it hadn't been priced so expensively compared to other bikes I was considering at the time, I maybe would have bought one. The bars were way too wide and forward, but otherwise it's "standard" ergo's in a custom-look platform was very impressive. Later Victory's I tested with a more "Harley" design were not nearly as satisfying.

200k is impressive for a V-Twin, but I can gurantee Amsoil itself has nothing to do with the longevity of the Victory engine... any high quality oil today would have achieved the same exact mileage in the same exact bike. Obviously, an Amsoil dealer. :roll:

JMO

DON'T SAY THE "V" WORD! :eek:4:

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wanted to give a Vision a test ride but the wife said it was too ugly so I got the Wing. It would have to be a great bike to compete with the Wing but it looks soooo good I'd love to have one!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts