GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Follow-up posting for a friend - He has a 2008 with inboard Garmin. He's considering trying to swap out the Garmin motherboard in his bike with a Garmin motherboard for a 2010. It would allow him to get off the 2GB flashcard limit and go to a larger sized SD card.

Has anyone tried swapping out one of the 2010 Garmin motherboards for their older (in this case 2008) Garmin motherboards? He's extremely tech savvy and is pretty sure it would work as long as the newer motherboard doesn't conflict with something in the bike itself. I told him if anyone has tried to do it, they're probably somewhere around here.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Should be ok

Follow-up posting for a friend - He has a 2008 with inboard Garmin. He's considering trying to swap out the Garmin motherboard in his bike with a Garmin motherboard for a 2010. It would allow him to get off the 2GB flashcard limit and go to a larger sized SD card.

Has anyone tried swapping out one of the 2010 Garmin motherboards for their older (in this case 2008) Garmin motherboards? He's extremely tech savvy and is pretty sure it would work as long as the newer motherboard doesn't conflict with something in the bike itself. I told him if anyone has tried to do it, they're probably somewhere around here.

Thoughts?
As long as the internals remained the same between the 2 years (and the screen is compatible) then there should not be many issues.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would get a wiring schematic for the two years and compare wire for wire. Most likely it will work, but I'd want to be sure before putting power to an instrument of this expense....

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I would get a wiring schematic for the two years and compare wire for wire. Most likely it will work, but I'd want to be sure before putting power to an instrument of this expense....

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Vendor
21,873 Posts
The 2009/2010 bikes have XM radio built into the Nav system that require additional wiring to support. You might be able to do it, but it isn't going to be a direct swap, and you'd probably also have to change out the audio unit, as the XM controls are built into it. I don't know if the LCD display would also need to be changed or not. At the end of the day, I suspect it's going to be an expensive and difficult proposition.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2009/2010 bikes have XM radio built into the Nav system that require additional wiring to support. You might be able to do it, but it isn't going to be a direct swap, and you'd probably also have to change out the audio unit, as the XM controls are built into it. I don't know if the LCD display would also need to be changed or not. At the end of the day, I suspect it's going to be an expensive and difficult proposition.
Thanks. Not having either one, I was unaware of the difference. Passed along....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts