GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this bike has all this fancy braking crap on it, the anti lock and is linked braking system and all that stuff. Now here is the question.

When you step on the REAR brake peddle it sends pressure to the REAR wheel and the FRONT, fine got all that…no problem. But if you pull on the front brake lever…does it send any pressure to the REAR wheel at all…??? Or is the linked system only run off the brake peddle only….?

The reason I ask this is I had the bike on the centre stand and had it in gear with the rear tire turning…when I pulled on the brake lever…there was zero effect on the rear tire. Am I missing something here....????

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the answer is yes.. but only when you are actually moving.. The front wheel rotation is part of the system.

Bill

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep, see the little rod plunger on the front in the diagram.

When and if you use the front brake the pads grip the rotor and push the rod up to that control cylinder and actuate the rear brakes.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I think the answer is yes.. but only when you are actually moving.. The front wheel rotation is part of the system.

Bill
Thanks Bill. My bad for not providing more detail.

The front brake lever applies the front brakes initially. One piston on the left side and two pistons on the right side. The left front caliper then applies pressure to the secondary master cylinder as it tries to rotate with the wheel. This in turn applies pressure to the antidive and the top and bottom piston of the rear caliper, via the proportioning valve.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Ok I know this bike has all this fancy braking crap on it, the anti lock and is linked braking system and all that stuff. Now here is the question.

When you step on the REAR brake peddle it sends pressure to the REAR wheel and the FRONT, fine got all that…no problem. But if you pull on the front brake lever…does it send any pressure to the REAR wheel at all…??? Or is the linked system only run off the brake peddle only….?

The reason I ask this is I had the bike on the centre stand and had it in gear with the rear tire turning…when I pulled on the brake lever…there was zero effect on the rear tire. Am I missing something here....????
You can check it on the centerstand by moving the left caliper upward.
This should engage the rear brake(without applying either brake pedal/lever.)

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
And while were on the braking subject, notice in the sketch provided by travelinlite that 3 of the front pistons are only activated by the front brake lever.

For maximum brake caliper force both front an rear levers must be used.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts