GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 GL1800 (comfort, navi, sound, heat) and I want to update my NAVI to the latest software and maps without going through Honda. I have a few questions that have come up after doing some research here.

1. My SD card is 2GB. Is there any benefit to buying a bigger one such as 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB. The 16GB's are easier to find and more cost effective.

2. If I purchase the 16GB, could I create a 4GB partition and leave the rest blank without confusing NAVI?

thanks

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I am not positive but IIRC, only the 06-08 navi setup using CompactFlash cards have the limitation. Those have a 2gb file size limitation but you can still use a 4gb card. The 09-10 should have no problem using larger SD cards. The advantage is that you can have all of North America mapset on the card. Since the latest update, the full mapset file size has grown much larger than 2gb so on the 06-08, the mapset needs to be broken up onto 2 cards to get all of North America.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
For the second question...interesting experiment to try to let us know.

My suspicion is there's an address limit that the navi hardware can actually access. Determining what it is I don't think anyone had actually tried that I know of. You'd process the card with a 'Partition Magic' like utility in Linux, for example, right?

The '12 - '17 GPS has no issues (based on sample size of 1) with 8Gb card size. Thus, the gmapsupp.img file can be no larger than 4,294,967,295 bytes.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The issue is the formatting - or how the SD card - is formatted - and what the GPS itself is capable of reading.

Typically, cards of 8Gb or less are formatted as FAT32. Thus the file size I mentioned above is the largest file that can be accessed by media that's formatted as FAT32.

*** I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS PART *** SPECULATION ONLY ***

The card can be formatted as NTFS, which would allow for a file to be larger than 4.294Gb in size. I've made a couple of > 5.2Gb gmapsupp.img files that I can use in BaseCamp with no issue.

I don't think the GPS is capable of reading the data from a SD card if it's formatted NTFS.

That's where the file size limitation comes from. Much newer Garmin GPS' have no issues with (a) multiple *.img files (b) media sizes greater than 8 Gb in size.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have used, with no apparent difference in function: 8GB, 16GB and 32GB SD Cards formatted as FAT32 in my 2013 Goldwing. I should think one would be Ok with any SD Card over 32GB but you'd have to partition it to be able to format it as FAT32. I haven't tried to do so, but I suspect it'd be OK. Anyhow, and on the other hand, why pay even pennies more for any SD Card larger than what is needed. The total memory space currently needed (April 2019, Version 2020.10) for North America is 3.46GB comprised of 38 Files that are contained in 6 Folders. 8GB Cards are available for roughly $5; even less if purchased in quantities of 5 or more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts