GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with the kill switch acting up? Mine if bump the knob and don't even turn it, it will kill the engine momentarily. It usually is noticed while using the cruise control, but will do it every time if I do it on purpose.
Any fix other than replacing the $260.00 switch assy.?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The switch is doing its job. Doesn't take much movement to break the electrical contact.

Don't bump the switch....!!

If you want, you could check to see if the two screws (input/output) on the Kill switch are tight.

·
Vendor
16,371 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with the kill switch acting up? Mine if bump the knob and don't even turn it, it will kill the engine momentarily. It usually is noticed while using the cruise control, but will do it every time if I do it on purpose.
Your switch has become overly sensitive and the best repair is to replace the kill-switch assembly. If the switch is tapped, or rocked forward and rearward, or rocked from side-to-side, and it kills the engine, it is bad. In only one condition should it kill the engine ... when it is rotated to either off positions.

As for cost, the assemblies have come down over the years. They used to cost like $400. My advise, since 5th gens are no longer made, order in the part while the switch assy. is still available.

·
Registered
7,016 Posts
Best thing for anyone to do is occasionally cycle the switch. If you never cycle it the switch, like all switches, oxidizes and only leaves a very tiny contact patch.

For anyone experiencing the touchy kill switch, with the ignition off, cycle the switch back and forth full stroke 20-30 times. This wipes the contact surfaces and helps remove oxidation.

And in the future - don't be afraid to stop the bike with the switch, or cycle it a couple of times now and then. Doesn't hurt anything, and will greatly reduce the "touchy kill switch" problems.

This public service announcement brought to you by a retired Master Chief electrician. 😁

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I have never experienced the kill switch issue but yes many folks have, the cheap and easy fix is to do what ssncob explained, if that doesn’t fix the issue you will probably have to spend the money for a new switch assembly.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Best thing for anyone to do is occasionally cycle the switch. If you never cycle it the switch, like all switches, oxidizes and only leaves a very tiny contact patch.

For anyone experiencing the touchy kill switch, with the ignition off, cycle the switch back and forth full stroke 20-30 times. This wipes the contact surfaces and helps remove oxidation.

And in the future - don't be afraid to stop the bike with the switch, or cycle it a couple of times now and then. Doesn't hurt anything, and will greatly reduce the "touchy kill switch" problems.

This public service announcement brought to you by a retired Master Chief electrician. 😁
Excellent suggestion..(y)........Thank you (maybe move all our switches the same way/cause many of them are really never even used..........( I find that my emergency flashers get stuck also)

Ronnie

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have said this before. As part of my annual "wake-up" process I clean/lube/ exercise all of the switches. Just think of the environment that the switches live in. How much dirt, dust etc, they are exposed to in the course of a ride. You wash the metal and plastic. Why not the switches?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE:
I opened switch assy. and sprayed the emergency switch with contact cleaner, worked the switch back and forth a few times and is good as new.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2001 in 2014. I mentioned to my dealer and they replaced the switch assembly free of charge under some TSB. Worth asking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2001 in 2014. I mentioned to my dealer and they replaced the switch assembly free of charge under some TSB. Worth asking.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
There were "known issues" with the 2001 Kill switches. That would be why yours was replaced. No "known issues" with the 2010.

But as you indicated, one could ask about warranty replacement. But I would not "hold my breath".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts