GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just bought the 2010 wing last night and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to update the Navigation? Thanks!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Go to Garmin.com and you can buy the updated 8 gig card for the navi...Very easy to change out the card in the trunk.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Or do what I just did with my 2010 that has the 2013 maps...save your $95 and put it towards a Garmin Zumo 396 and put it on your handlebar.

It didn’t take me long to realize that the GPS system on my bike leaves a lot to be desired, even when compared to my old Garmin 2720. It’s slow to calculate, frustrating to use, and can’t be used at all while rolling.

I haven’t used the 396 yet (just got it), but I’m pretty confident that it will be better than the built in GPS. And it comes with free lifetime map updates.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys, I will consider both options and see what's best. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Or do what I just did with my 2010 that has the 2013 maps...save your $95 and put it towards a Garmin Zumo 396 and put it on your handlebar.

It didn’t take me long to realize that the GPS system on my bike leaves a lot to be desired, even when compared to my old Garmin 2720. It’s slow to calculate, frustrating to use, and can’t be used at all while rolling.

I haven’t used the 396 yet (just got it), but I’m pretty confident that it will be better than the built in GPS. And it comes with free lifetime map updates.

Actually, since you have a Zumo 396 with lifetime maps, you already have the means to update your 1800 navi and have the current maps on it as well. Take a look in the Navi subforum here for more details....
Even though I have a 2007 which is just a little different, you can see that I have the most current 2020.10 maps loaded on mine...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, since you have a Zumo 396 with lifetime maps, you already have the means to update your 1800 navi and have the current maps on it as well. Take a look in the Navi subforum here for more details....
Even though I have a 2007 which is just a little different, you can see that I have the most current 2020.10 maps loaded on mine...

I just updated my 2008, using lifetime on Zumo and then transfer....just don't know how to do it without loading on Zumo first, because the Zumo will only accept up to 1 Gb size....where as the Goldwing will accept up to 2 Gb......

So I can't get as much of the map onto the Goldwing....but it did work....and thanks to the couple folks that gave me a hand sharing their knowledge :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I just updated my 2008, using lifetime on Zumo and then transfer....just don't know how to do it without loading on Zumo first, because the Zumo will only accept up to 1 Gb size....where as the Goldwing will accept up to 2 Gb......

So I can't get as much of the map onto the Goldwing....but it did work....and thanks to the couple folks that gave me a hand sharing their knowledge :)

When you update, do you use Garmin Express? If so, it should give you the option to download the update to your computer as well. Once update is on computer, you can use either Mapsource or Basecamp to create a custom mapset and decide what is included on it. Once its created, you can choose to "send to device" which will transfer the mapset to your new blank CompactFlash 06-08 or SD card (09-10). With Compactflash, just unlock the gmapsupp.img in the Garmin folder using an unlocking program like gimgunlock. And you are correct that the 06-08 has the 2gb limitation for mapset size. Also make sure to have a newer or the latest firmware on the 06-08 or it may not be able to read the custom mapset. I have 5.10 on mine. For 09-10, after transferring, you will probably have to change the name of the gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img, but again unlock it on new SD card afterwards. On the 09-10, prior to doing this, transfer all the files from your original SD Navi card to this new card. (You can leave out transferring the gmapprom.img as you are creating a new one anyway.) That way you always have the original to fall back on. And I cant take credit for this. It was developed by many others, I'm just passing along what I have learned...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have to have a Garmin Zumo or will any Garmin work? I just bought a new Garmin Drive 50 with Lifetime maps. Was just wondering, thanks!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I just did pwhoever's update to my 2009 Navi System and it worked like a charm... Highly recommend it if you desire the latest map set on your bike Navi System...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Do you have to have a Garmin Zumo or will any Garmin work? I just bought a new Garmin Drive 50 with Lifetime maps. Was just wondering, thanks!

I think it shouldn't matter. The biggest thing is that the Garmin GPS unit has the lifetime maps. I do it with mine and I have an almost 10 year old Nuvi 765T. 1 thing I have noticed is that as the map updates grows larger, some of the older Garmins take advantage of external memory cards and end up splitting the maps between internal storage and the external memory cards. So if that's the case, I dont think you can just pull the map file off the GPS, you will have to take the longer route using Mapsource or Basecamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks to all who helped....originally, when I updated my Zumo, it put Canada on my Zumo and all of North America on my laptop....

I then used Mapsource to transfer all of Canada and upper third to a 2 Gb CF card (saving to CF card was an option in Mapsource when it was in laptop).....and then created another map using Mapsource that contained all of U.S.A. on another 4Gb card.

So now when I go further south than the upper third of the country, I switch out cards and it loads all of US.....

Nice :)

Again, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts