.. or keep shopping for a better price on the old one

Dennis

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I'm looking at the basic GL1800 model.

I can get a leftover 2010..... but a 2012 is only $1,400 more

What would YOU do?
I'd take the 12 it has better suspension and other upgrades than the 10.

But your dealer is screwing you on the 1400.Honda only went up 4-$500 in price for the 12 vs the 10's.

My local dealer said it's only $468 difference between the 10/12 modes with the same level.

Tell them to rethink their price and go for it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
For $1400.00 more would it be worth the resell?

I like the 2012 my self.

greg

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get the new one...
.. or keep shopping for a better price on the old one

Dennis
$18,877 2010 with heated grips n seat (current inventory in metallic black and in yellow)

$20,001 2012 with heated grips n seat (current inventory in white/silver and in blue/silver)

:shrug:

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I would buy the 2010 - negotiating the price and then negotiating some add-ons.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would die for those prices....just add $10,000 for the Canadian price:cry:
To top it off our dollar is stronger than the US, just not right :frown:

·
Registered
11 Posts
:agree: What Rocky said.
I bought a 2010 with comfort package, premium audio, and Nav. in Dec. 2010. If I had it to do over I'd forget the Nav and buy a good after market unit, one you can pre-program your route on a PC is definitely a plus.

You should be able to get a good price on a 2010 if you shop around.

See ya.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
I waited for the 2012 and to me it is ugly. My 2010 with Traxxion and Centramatic will run circles around a stock 2012. With the 2012 you get a better radio, different suspension(anything is an improvement)different seat, two tone(I kinda like), ugly backend, different saddlebags, old style lights, funky pocket on tank,and blacked out parts.

I would get the one whos looks you like better. The engine is the same and I would bet the front suspension is just a BANDAIDE

·
Registered
559 Posts
Your question is what to do given a $1400 difference. I'd go for the 2012, for the resale value and the slightly improved ergos and suspension. Must say, though, that the 2012's butt has not yet made it past my ugly detector.

As others noted, you should be able to get a better price on the 2010. I went a completley different route and bought a very low mileage 2005. The $$ I saved can easily cover a Traxxion conversion and other farkles, and resale value pretty much plateau's after five years on wings.

·
Banned
939 Posts
yellow

I would say it is a "looks" call too. Go yellow thus 2010 per their inventory and ask for a free extended warentee and a new helmet or some Honda add-ons on the house. Or wait until the "Fall Sale" things are tight out there.

When you get to be the ratchet use the torque.

Also, get googling and on the phone. One-way plane ticket "to?" and ride it home might save you several more grand.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I gotta drive 500 miles to get this bike. The dealers in my area won't budge on the prices so I gotta travel.

And I left out the fact that they are giving $500 in free accessories on the 2010 models so that sweetens the deal just a fuzz. Mother Honda is also offering 0.99% for either 24 or 36 months, I don't know which - but only for the 2010 model year. Already had them run my credit and I qualify. Probably going to have to finance a little less than half.

One other thing that no one has brought up: isn't the tupperware and stuff all the same on the 2010 and prior bikes? Is there an advantage to buying the 2010 because they made them all the same for so many years?

I didn't know that my 2007 had problems. My only complaint is that I had to buy some Baker air wings to bring in some more air. Oh, and in high wind it can be a handfull.

If the 2012 bikes are that much better then I should probably think really hard about getting one of THOSE.

Although, I DO like that yellow color on the 2010's.

:shrug:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would not buy the 12 ! First year in production you don't know what problems might crop up. They haven't been out long enough ( Wings made in Japan ) Plus I think the fit and finish is not all that it could be . Heavens knows what things Honda has changed and we don't know about as of yet .

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Yup. Plus you would have a better looking bike to boot.
Exactly. I was just avoiding saying how butt freaking fugly the 2012s are...
I would buy the 2010. I don't care for that big J on the start of the serial number the 2012 has. 2010 looks better too.
Another great reason to go with the 2010. :yes1:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Check with Honda of Chanute

Hey Poser,
I want to ask you to check with Honda of Chanute KS. I bought my 03 from them and saved about 4k.
They are a power sport dealer and sell a lot of GW's. Though from what you have posted so far, you may already be dealing with them.
If you are on the east side of MO you may be able to find same deal closer to you. No, I do not make a commision, just got a good deal and they treated me right.

·
Registered
922 Posts
How long do you keep your stuff?

If you swap bikes every couple of years, get the 2012 because the 2010 is 2 years old already.

If ride to the junk yard 10+ years from now, get the 2010

1 - 20 of 77 Posts