GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides Tom Austin's official daily reports, does anyone know of any other sites that will providing day-by-day progress reports, insights and "interesting" stories?

Just curious -- are (m)any members of this forum planning to visit the checkpoint in Buffalo on Friday? If I get my Wing back in time, I'm booked into the host hotel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe everyone was out riding yesterday?! Or are there just few folks on this forum that follow the IBR?

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,702 Posts
Warchild, the tech guy, has this thread on the FJR forum. He's pretty enteraining with his posts.

Sounds like a very interesting format this year with no gas receipts, the 48 states in 11 days and the Four Corners tour all thrown in.

I'm excited to follow it.

I believe one Winger on this board from Aussieland is competing....don't know of others. Wishing the best for all participants.

Observe safely.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Encouraging to see that they have reduced the complexity and have reverted it back down to hard earned mileage. Personally, I think that is the right direction for the rally to go taking some of the emphasis off the individuals software abilities and shifting more toward the saddle.

I commend those in IBA that took this approach rather than making it more complicated rally by rally as new technology marches on. Kind of getting it back to the basics of what it is all about and what it should be, IMO.

I wish them all a safe journey.

Z

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Robeth --

Thank you.

Dale's (Warchild) thread on the FJR forum may be the only reports I need! Always enjoy his unique insights and colorful way of expressing them!

Unofficially, looks like 14 Wings (about 16% of the field) are in the rally. Pretty good showing. Quite honestly, with so many BMWs failing in the past few IBRs, I'm surprised to see so many in the line up.

Too, the spotwalla tracking is spectacular. The only problem is that work is getting in the way of checking the site regularly.

Anyone riding up, over or down to Buffalo this Friday?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm going to try and make it to Buffalo.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,702 Posts
This year is shaping up to be a mile burner. Three riders headed straight up to Hyder, AK, and look to be on track to make it to the first check-in in Cheektowaga, NY. That's about 6700 miles in less than five days!

Veteran rally participants (not riding in the IBR 2011) estimate 15K miles might be needed to win this one. WOW!

Exciting stuff here and here.

Keyboard rally safely.

·
Love The DCT
12,198 Posts
Warchild, the tech guy, has this thread on the FJR forum. He's pretty enteraining with his posts.

Sounds like a very interesting format this year with no gas receipts, the 48 states in 11 days and the Four Corners tour all thrown in.

I'm excited to follow it.

I believe one Winger on this board from Aussieland is competing....don't know of others. Wishing the best for all participants.

Observe safely.

Warchild is entertaining, especially this statement. :doorag:

"I am happy to report each and every one of these FJRs are fitted with proper motorcycle tires..."

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I agree. There must be some reason that with only 2% of the North American market, BMW is favored by so many of the World's Toughest Motorcyclists. BMW riders took 1st, 2nd, 4th, 8th and 9th place in 2009 with fewer entries than much larger Honda.

Robeth --

Thank you.

Dale's (Warchild) thread on the FJR forum may be the only reports I need! Always enjoy his unique insights and colorful way of expressing them!

Unofficially, looks like 14 Wings (about 16% of the field) are in the rally. Pretty good showing. Quite honestly, with so many BMWs failing in the past few IBRs, I'm surprised to see so many in the line up.

Too, the spotwalla tracking is spectacular. The only problem is that work is getting in the way of checking the site regularly.

Anyone riding up, over or down to Buffalo this Friday?

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
The v-strom is out due to a wreck.

I couldnt believe someone would pin their money and hard work, riding a 650 vstrom in an event like this. The rider said he would never ride another rally bike without abs.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Loren,

I had to re read you post.

What the heck does he need "abs" (stomach muscles) for? THEN I realized you were talking about ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)

Ha ha !

I couldnt believe someone would pin their money and hard work, riding a 650 vstrom in an event like this. The rider said he would never ride another rally bike without abs.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,702 Posts

Hey, loren,

Where'd you get this info? I'm interested in following any IBR threads I can find.

Thanks in advance.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Hey, loren,

Where'd you get this info? I'm interested in following any IBR threads I can find.

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly where I read it

http://www.ironbuttrally.com/IBR/2011/7.pdf

the fjr board has 35 pages about it as of this am, but its pretty much fjr news only

I also read the bmwmoa site, but you need to be a member to get on there, and very one sided reporting as well

Another decent site is the advrider, I havent read it for a while, but I remember last time they had lots of info as well

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Loren,

I had to re read you post.

What the heck does he need "abs" (stomach muscles) for? THEN I realized you were talking about ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)

Ha ha !
Hey son, you try riding without stomach muscles and see how far you get....

ya that was pretty funny, about the abs

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,702 Posts
Hey, loren,

Thanks in advance.

Hahaha! The joke's on me........I've been following the Spotwalla link all day from the link above, but didn't update the IBR page. Just got home, loaded it, then saw the update!

Oh, well. Thanks for chiming in, loren. :thumbup:

There should be a lot of info flowing over the next few hours as riders get to the check-in at Cheektowaga.

·
Registered
876 Posts

Looks like a well prepared darksider in the IBR. :thumbup:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,702 Posts
Leg 1 Standings are out. Click here and read the June 24 (Day 5) post.

The next check-in is Jacksonville, FL, on Monday night at the Ramada Conference Center at I-295 and San Jose.

The penalty points start to accrue at 5:00 pm. If riders don't check in by 7:00 they are DNF.

Follow safely.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts