GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning a trip to Maine in July and would like to know if anyone could give us some advise on scenic roads not to miss. We plan on going to Portand and going along the coast line to begin, but from there we have no concrete plans.

Any advise or comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maine vacation reply

DIzzy I grew up in southern Maine and I have to tell you to grab a map and follow as close to the coast line as you can all the way to Portland. I never had a Wing while living there but from Portsmouth to Portland the ride is gorgeous. I'm not talking Rt 1. I mean right along the coast, I could get a map and give you the exact route but if you do this the trip might take 3 hours but you won't regret it.
Stay near but away from Route 1 as much as possible it's PACKED with tourist and takes forever to travel. But Acadia NP is awesome and from there up to Canada you can travel at over 20 MPH most of the way. I love the Katadin (baxter State Park) area. Riding from Rangely to Bethel is awesome. just take your time stay on the state routes when inland adn you'll have an awesome time. I don't know how much time you have so I'll leave it here but email me at [email protected] if you have specific questions.
Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
I grew up in Southern ME also. I going to have to give a strong second to the advice listed above.

And, if you want to venture out of ME just a bit, go up Mount Washington in NH. Well worth the visit.

And, go up to Moosehead lake and do a tour around it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
We just got back from a 3 week vacation on the east coast and we went to Maine and to Acadia Park which is well worth the drive and then to bar Harbor as there is alot to see in town .Mt Washington and the Aderondaks are a must see also.What a trip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll chime in & say Bath is a neat city to spend the afternoon / evening in. Right on Rte. 1, 45 minutes north of Portland.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the advise, I really do appreciate it. Our route is set, we will be leaving Wisconsin and going through Canada. Our route will take us through Ottawa, Montreal and then to Jackman, Maine. From there we will be going to Madawska and then on to Lubic. From Lubic we will be following the coast and staying in Ellsworth. From there we will go to Bar Harbor and Arcadia NP. We will then head up to Bethel and spend a couple of nights before heading to North Conway, NH. and spending a couple of days there. Then we plan on going to Niagara Falls and spending the night and maybe doing a tour. Then it's back home.

Thanks again to all who gave some advise.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
If you go near York Beach check out the Nubble Light House....very scenic.

2,732 Posts
North Conway

If you are going to be in the North Conway, NH area, be sure to take the Hurricane Mountain Road (ask in North Conway for directions to the start point). It's one of my favorite rides when I have the Wing in Maine!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts