GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Here you go. NOW, please note that a few days are very short distances to allow for photo stops. NO, I repeat NO, planned rides. We are just meeting at these hotels at night and I do not know if any rooms are left. Other hotels in the areas though but this is coming up on their busy season. Durango is going to the jumping off point for many. I am spending the night in Pagaso Springs CO with a friend instead of Durango and my room will be available there. Tom is going to Chama with Len and Phylis to ride the train.
My wife is meeting me in Cedar City so I will be doing a Iron Butt ride out on the 10th and 11th.
Dan

Tail Wind Terrestrial Tour 2011

Come see a bunch of piled up red stones.
It was decided at last years TTT in Eureka Springs to do this years in Utah to visit and ride some of the most beautiful roads in America. I would suggest looking at Google Earth and do a “run” down Hwy 12 and others. Since so many will be coming from the four corners of our great land we felt it would be easier for everyone to just meet in Cedar City on Sunday afternoon September 11th. We will base there for a couple of days and then ride up to the Torrey and Bicknell area for the night of the 13th. This will allow us to do Hwy 12. The plans are to spend one evening there and then a short run to Blanding UT for the night of the 14th and then the next day ride some beautiful roads into Colorado and spend the night in Ouray Co on the 15th and then a real short run (hint hint hint – you can run the Million Dollar Hwy both ways as well as other roads) to Durango on the night of the 16th. Some will need to break out there or other places to head for home and I have close friends in Pagosa Springs CO that we will spend a bit of time with. Tom is planning on spending an extra day or so in Durango to play with the train. We would hope that no matter what direction you come from or go home in that you would join with others and enjoy the beautiful roads in all directions. This time we have tried to design the whole trip so that you can do what you want and meet up at night. Feel free to stop and take as many pictures as you want. We felt that if we all tried to do a big group ride then some would be held up and some would feel rushed. If you haven’t ridden some of this area then I highly suggest brushing up on your photo techniques because it will take all day to go a very short distance when you just HAVE to stop and take another picture.
As we get closer I will be providing a complete list of names, phone numbers, emails etc. so that everyone can try to join up and ride out and back. I pulled my hair out trying to pick out the best but most economical hotels but at this time of year it is tough. In Blanding the hotel we picked only has 16 rooms available and some of those are smoking rooms. We may have to try to get a small amount in the other very limited choices. Again, we are all adults and if you don’t like what we have then feel free to find something else or camp. I do not have a list of campgrounds now but will soon. NOW!!!! A major request. Please contact each hotel SOON and make your own reservations with the TTT group. This again is a very very busy time out there and they will fill up if we don’t get them soon. Also, we do NOT have any big surprise for Tom this year (I am receptive to a new F-250 if your hearts are stirred that way) and I do not know of any special guests but please let ME know who is coming and that you have made your reservations. I will coordinate this as Tom is busy building trailers.

I hope to see everyone there and I cannot emphasize enough to make the reservations and to let me know in case we need more rooms. Also, I did and am doing my best to make an accurate list of people from Tom’s database of Tail Wind owners, potential owners and friends.

Thanks
Dan Drew
[email protected]

Hotel List for TTT 2011

Cedar City
189 North Main Street
Cedar City, UT 84720-2650
(435) 586-9900
Cedar City Best Western Town and Country
arrive on Sept 11 and leave on Sept 13th
rates are approx. $79 - 84

Torrey

Junction of Hwys 12 & 24
Sandstone Inn $78 Plus Tax
sandstonecapitalreef.com
800 458 0216

Arrive on the 13th and leave on the 14th

Blanding UT

Four Corners Inn
131 E Center Hwy 191
800-574-3150
Sixteen NON Smoking Rooms and 4 smoking rooms - we may have to find another hotel here
Arriving on Sept 14th
Rate $55 for two in the room
$45 for single
Arriving on Sept 14th
Leave on Sept 15th

Ouray CO
Comfort Inn Ouray
970-325-7203
191 5th Ave
Ouray, CO 81427
(970) 325-7203

Arrive on the 15th leave on the 16th
Rate $98.10 but includes a full hot breakfast

Durango Co
970-259-7900
Comfort Suites
Durango CO
Arrive on the 16th
2 Bed Doubles
$111 plus tax

arrive on the 16th and leave on the 17th

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Tims, there you go, reading my mind again!!

Various ones of us have different departure times and routes to the start point, Cedar City, Utah.

Similarly, various ones of us have different plans at the end of the tour in Durango.

So, the core of the TTT is:

September 11th, Sunday, arrive in Cedar City, Utah, at the Best Western Town and Country hotel. Do not have a plan but this is 9/11/11 and we should do something to memorialize the tragedy 10 years earlier.

September 12th, Monday, tour the area, probably Zion National park, possibly Bryce Canyon. Some want to spend more time taking pictures and some more time riding.

Return to the same hotel in Cedar City. Probably this will be the best night to have a group dinner, but maybe we will have several opportunities to do that.

Sepember 13th, Tuesday, Depart early and head to the south end of Route 12, the core ride for this tour. Route 12 in Utah is billed as the second most beautiful road in the US, second to the Blue Ridge Parkway. For me the two are reversed.

One of the Aussie tourists complained that it was too slow a road. Every time he got back on the bike and went a few feet, he had to stop and take more pictures.

This road ends at Torrey, Utah and we go to the old Wonderland Inn, now called the Sandstone Inn. They have a very nice dinning hall and this may also be a very good place for us to all meet. Hopefully we will still have all the group with us and some will be just joining us there.

September 14th, Wednesday, is an easy day. We travel east on 24 and 95 to 191 and Blanding. Hotel is Four Corners Inn. Not much to do in Blanding but lots of photo opps on 24.

September 15th. Thursday, Depart early to Ouray, Colorado, the "Little Switzerland of America".

Hotel is Comfort Inn. Lots to do in Ouray as a Tourist. Lots of Walking in a tiny town.

September 16th, Friday, depart early for another beautiful ride on the Million Dollar Highway. Lots of photo ops.

Silverton is on the way and lots to see there including the Durango and Silverton Steam Railroad, due in for lunch in two trains.

Arrive in Durango. Hotel is Comfort Suites, a bit south of town.

Durango has lots to do. Big steam train town with souvenirs.

September 17, Saturday
Various riders have different plans from this point. Most of us will likely depart and ride to Pagosa Springs for lunch, then ride to Chama and the Vista Del Rio Lodge.

September 18th, Sunday. Several of us have non refundable tickets on Train #6 of the Cumbres and Toltec round trip train to Ousher. at 10:00 a.m.

This includes a lunch and steam train ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsmH0hi-m2A

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Dan,

Pardon me for stepping on your post. Did not know we were both posting. Now to see if I told a straight story.
:frown:

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
Tims, if you don't mind slumming you can ride up with us. TexWalter (Walt Higgins, whom you met at last year's TTT) is leading my wife and I up there as long as I promise to ride my Goldwing instead of the Buick.

We plan to meet in Huntsville at 7:00 AM Saturday Sept. 10 and ride to either Albequerque or Gallup that day, and then ride on into Cedar City Sunday.

You'd be more than welcome to spend Friday night at my house (on Highway 190 between Jasper and Woodville). We'd then leave my place at 5:00 AM and ride to Huntsville where we'll meet Walt. Walt and I briefly discussed getting an earlier start but I know my wife would veto getting up any earlier. I tell people she really is a morning person for she's almost always up by the crack of Noon.

Glen

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Glenn
I might want to slum with you guys also. I am considering doing an Iron Butt but I just got back from a ride to the West Coast and some of the TTT areas (Monument Valley and Mexican Hat and 4 Corners). I will talk to you guys later about this. Gail is going to fly into Cedar City on the 12th and join us there.

Dan

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
Glenn
I might want to slum with you guys also. I am considering doing an Iron Butt but I just got back from a ride to the West Coast and some of the TTT areas (Monument Valley and Mexican Hat and 4 Corners). I will talk to you guys later about this. Gail is going to fly into Cedar City on the 12th and join us there.

Dan
Hey, that would be great. I just looked at the map to see how we could make that work, and it's easy. Walt and I had looked at taking I-45 north to 287 to Amarillo, then catching I-40 West. Going through Round Rock then up through Sweetwater, Lubbock (and most importantly, my home town of Muleshoe) is almost exactly the same mileage and offers a little better scenery. I'm looking forward to it, and will suggest that to Walt even if you don't ride with us.

Just don't tell my wife that your wife is flying in instead of riding, or I'll be in the doghouse.

Glen

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ttt

Well she is going to a family reunion in Missouri and then out. She was a trooper going through Arizona last week with 111 degrees and then heavy rain. The Texans were easily spotted in the rest stop with the rain...we were the ones standing out in it and smiling.

I made the offer to Zackabilly also but I will be home on Friday morning and I have three empty bedrooms. All are welcome to come over here and we can leave from here or I can meet you on the road. Either way is fine.
I have done both routes and either is fine...we know it will be hot and windy.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info and offers. As it stands, my buddy John (now the proud owner of my '03 Wing) and I are probably going to "turn and burn" getting to the area as we missed our ride out West in August and have some steam to blow off.

I want to track down Bubba1 while in that area as he indicated he may want to ride up to TTT if his schedule permits. If I don't get to ride with him, I'd at least like to shake his hand. Hope to stay in Kanab, UT Saturday night. That will get us in the Cedar City area for Sunday no problem.

I've just been focused on mid-September for TTT but now it looks like I need to narrow it down a little bit.

Thanks for all the info. I'm excited.

Z

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, this all sounds great!! Wish there was someone else from the great NW coming, be nice to ride with a wingman, oh well, we are used to going alone. We are so looking forward to meeting everyone!! There is a fabulous place for dinner in Durango for anyone that likes Japanese food, (me ) it's called "East meets South West" the trolly goes right to it.
We leave here on Wed. the 7th, get into Cedar City on the evening of the 10th. May spend most of Sunday by the pool just to see some sun. Highest temp. here this year has been this past Saturday, it hit a scorching 74º. See you all in Cedar City!!! :excited:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Ttt

Paul
We are in our 77th day over 100 here. Saw 115 on the bike the other day North of Phoenix. Yesterday rode in 93 degrees and thought it was cool.
see you there but don't complain about the heat to us Texans...we will roast you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
No complaints from us!! Today has seen a high of 66 and light rain. Going down to Everett tomorrow for new rubber.
Keep telling some of y'all, take a ride up this way in the summer, I'll bet there are not a dozen homes in Ferndale that have A/C. Open window, turn on fan:nojoke:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
The core part of this year's TTT covers stays in Utah, Colorado, and New Mexico.:

We have riders joining the TTT at different times and places, and do not have anyone listed on a schedule per se.

Please post on this thread if you are joining us at any point and for how long. If you Don't mind, just copy and repost with your name added. I will start with some whose schedule I think I know. if you do not post on this board, send me an eMail covering the days you will be with uw and wheo is in your party to my eMail, [email protected] and I will add them for youe. Thanks

Day. Venue

1. 9/11 Ceder City, UT
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal, Lou and Pamela Schwitzer, Glen and Edith Kenney, Dan Drew, Paul and Barbara Ingram, Walter Higgins, Hilmer Merz,

2. 9/12 Ceder City, UT
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal, Lou and Pamela Schwitzer, Glen and Edith Kenney, Dan and Gail Drew, Paul and Barbara Ingram, Walter Higgins, Hilmer Merz,

3. 9/13 Torrey, UT
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal, Lou and Pamela Schwitzer, Glen and Edith Kenney, Dan and Gail Drew, Paul and Barbara Ingram, Walter Higgins, Hilmer Merz,

4. 9/14 Blanding, UT

5. 9/15 Ouray, CO

6. 9/16 Durango, CO
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal, Lou and Pamela Schwitzer, Glen and Edith Kenney, Paul and Barbara Ingram, Dan and Gail Drew, Walter Higgins, Hilmer Merz,

7. 9/17 Chama, NM
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal, Lou and Pamela Schwitzer, Hilmer Merz,

8. 9/18 Chama Train #6
Tom Finch, Len and Phyllis Ellis, Sam Reagal,

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
Tom, I know Walt Higgins is riding up with us and planning to stay at least through the 16th at Durango. Tim's Red and his friend John will be there for part of it anyway.

Looking forward to this ride. I remember having to miss the 2008 TTT for Hurricane Ike came to my house for a visit. Now I really hope this tropical depression comes visiting for a spell and drops a little rain on us at home.

Glen

·
Registered
112 Posts
Tom, Barbara and I will be there from the 11th through the 16th, then we head north to try to beat the snow over the Cascade passes. (snow forecast for the 24th). See you in Cedar City.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Dan and Gail Drew will be staying in Durango now. Our Pagosa Springs friends have to be gone.

Riding up with Walter Higgins and Glen Kenney

I HAVE to be back in Austin on the 18th to go to work, so no trains for us.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
For those interested in the TTT leaving at the end of this week of 9/4, Go to Google Maps, Zoom to Cedar City, Utah, Follow 14 east toward Zion Park and turn North on 148 where there is a green roofed building on the left. Switch to Google Earth and adjust the zoom to be in the 3D arena. Keep the highway toward the east side of your screen and follow the road north. You will see it turn hard right, then left and suddenly it is hard to believe.

Really spectacular. I have not been on this road before. Just north of the Cedar Breaks is 143 to the east and north. Follow to the east to Panguich. Then Highway 12 and again use Google earth from Escalente to Boulder. Lots of elevation change so zoom up and down to keep your "airplane" from crashing.

I sent a group eMail to those I think are interested. If I missed you please eMail me.

[email protected]

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'M JEALOUS!!

I had SO planned on finally making another TTT.

But, Kathy's work is sending her to The Hague (Netherlands) and I've been told I have to tag along so she'll have someone to bug.

She flies out this afternoon and I'll be following along on Tuesday.

Once her meetings are over with noon Friday, we're headed to Amsterdam, Belgium, and possibly northern Germany.

I'll definitely be thinking of you all and hope the weather's good, the road's smooth, and both our trip's are safe!!

Glen, what is the link you were speaking of for real time updates? Get the truck/trailer problem worked out? Hugs to Edith!

Best Regards!

Brian & Kathy

·
Administrator
3,784 Posts
I'M JEALOUS!!

I had SO planned on finally making another TTT.

But, Kathy's work is sending her to The Hague (Netherlands) and I've been told I have to tag along so she'll have someone to bug.

She flies out this afternoon and I'll be following along on Tuesday.

Once her meetings are over with noon Friday, we're headed to Amsterdam, Belgium, and possibly northern Germany.

I'll definitely be thinking of you all and hope the weather's good, the road's smooth, and both our trip's are safe!!

Glen, what is the link you were speaking of for real time updates? Get the truck/trailer problem worked out? Hugs to Edith!

Best Regards!

Brian & Kathy
Brian, I wish you could come. However, I knew about the possibility of Kathy going to the Hague, and I think you made the right choice.

I turns out that some fuse box had failed in my truck. Cost a little over $1200 to get it repaired! I haven't hooked up to the trailer since, but it should work. I'll have to try it when I return from the TTT.

Here's the link to my SPOT tracker. It should start Saturday morning. I'm first meeting Walt Higgins in Huntsville, then we'll meet Dan Draw in Wichita Falls, and the three of us will then make tracks to Cedar City. Wish you could be there.

Glen

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=37e24e667fc1d3b9f

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Tom,

Beautiful ride. Just a word of warning. In Colorado, be careful in the early morning or just before the sun goes down. We have a place in Pagosa Springs and on 160 between Durango and Pagosa we regularly see 4 to 6 dead elk and deer on that short 60 mile stretch. Our insurance guy tells us that there are more elk killed by cars than by hunters in that area. It is a beautiful road, but I am partial.

Tims, there you go, reading my mind again!!

Various ones of us have different departure times and routes to the start point, Cedar City, Utah.

Similarly, various ones of us have different plans at the end of the tour in Durango.

So, the core of the TTT is:

September 11th, Sunday, arrive in Cedar City, Utah, at the Best Western Town and Country hotel. Do not have a plan but this is 9/11/11 and we should do something to memorialize the tragedy 10 years earlier.

September 12th, Monday, tour the area, probably Zion National park, possibly Bryce Canyon. Some want to spend more time taking pictures and some more time riding.

Return to the same hotel in Cedar City. Probably this will be the best night to have a group dinner, but maybe we will have several opportunities to do that.

Sepember 13th, Tuesday, Depart early and head to the south end of Route 12, the core ride for this tour. Route 12 in Utah is billed as the second most beautiful road in the US, second to the Blue Ridge Parkway. For me the two are reversed.

One of the Aussie tourists complained that it was too slow a road. Every time he got back on the bike and went a few feet, he had to stop and take more pictures.

This road ends at Torrey, Utah and we go to the old Wonderland Inn, now called the Sandstone Inn. They have a very nice dinning hall and this may also be a very good place for us to all meet. Hopefully we will still have all the group with us and some will be just joining us there.

September 14th, Wednesday, is an easy day. We travel east on 24 and 95 to 191 and Blanding. Hotel is Four Corners Inn. Not much to do in Blanding but lots of photo opps on 24.

September 15th. Thursday, Depart early to Ouray, Colorado, the "Little Switzerland of America".

Hotel is Comfort Inn. Lots to do in Ouray as a Tourist. Lots of Walking in a tiny town.

September 16th, Friday, depart early for another beautiful ride on the Million Dollar Highway. Lots of photo ops.

Silverton is on the way and lots to see there including the Durango and Silverton Steam Railroad, due in for lunch in two trains.

Arrive in Durango. Hotel is Comfort Suites, a bit south of town.

Durango has lots to do. Big steam train town with souvenirs.

September 17, Saturday
Various riders have different plans from this point. Most of us will likely depart and ride to Pagosa Springs for lunch, then ride to Chama and the Vista Del Rio Lodge.

September 18th, Sunday. Several of us have non refundable tickets on Train #6 of the Cumbres and Toltec round trip train to Ousher. at 10:00 a.m.

This includes a lunch and steam train ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsmH0hi-m2A

1 - 20 of 42 Posts