GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to bring to the attention of other fellows board members that there is only one year warranty on all audio electronics on our $20,000 plus Goldwings!

I just got finished tearing apart my 2012 level 3 GL1800 to no avail! I took apart every connection on the passenger hook up and then took a part all connections for the driver. I do have a cellset, ground loop isolator in line to run phone, GPS and XM radio. I bypassed all of those connections and basically went back to bone stock to make certain it wasn't anything to do with my cellset that is causing my lack of muting capabilities.

I have to YELL to get the intercom to mute, even close to 19-20. My wife would go hoarse to be able to break the radio when talking with the intercom on!

I took my friends 2013 and added his helmets / my helmets to his bike and basically it's the same way! This is very frustrating to say the least!
:mad:

It has been mentioned that 01-10's are different than the 2012/13/14? For those of us with a 2nd Generation GL1800, is there anything we can do to try to alleviate this problem....obviously, I'm not the only one having this problem... there has to be more out there like me?
Is there a recall on any part of the audio electronic system that would fix this situation that anyone may know of?

Thanking you in Advance!

·
Chard Member
12,975 Posts
Unless it's changed it's one year on audio not electronics. Hope you get the issue fixed.

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I have the same intercom problem on mine. Had J&M check it out at Americade last year and he blamed it on Honda. His 2012 demo has the same problem, with my headsets(J&M) and his brand new headsets.
Audio system only under warranty for one year. All other electronics covered.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry Hal, I can't say I have had any issues on my 2013. My wife and I just speak with our indoor voices and it works fine. I'm sure I just jinxed myself now. Hope you get it fixed, that is unacceptable.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On my 2012 if I listen to the radio through the headsets the radio does mute when I talk. But if I listen to the radio or CB trough the speakers, then I don't think it mutes when I talk. I'll try and check farther into this. Lyle

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did mean audio not electronics.....sorry! I was talking about listening through the helmet speakers. Without the radio on it works wonderfully. Turn the radio on and that is when the trouble starts. It seems that they changed the range of the sensitivity of the audio mute control. It now sucks bad!
Why does Honda change something that works reasonably well, and doesn't pay any attention to feedback given to them by a lot of experienced riders on this and other boards.
Just doesn't make sense to me!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My 2012 is the same way - will not mute music when speaking on intercom ...... regardless of sensitivity setting ..... always have to turn the music down manually to understand each other

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
I may be wrong in my thinking but doesn't a lower number mean it will mute easier. Been a long winter and I don't remember for sure.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may be wrong in my thinking but doesn't a lower number mean it will mute easier. Been a long winter and I don't remember for sure.
It has been a long winter! :cool: Zero, basically nothing happens, 20 a whisper should stop the radio. :cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just wanted to bring to the attention of other fellows board members that there is only one year warranty on all audio electronics on our $20,000 plus Goldwings!

I just got finished tearing apart my 2012 level 3 GL1800 to no avail! I took apart every connection on the passenger hook up and then took a part all connections for the driver. I do have a cellset, ground loop isolator in line to run phone, GPS and XM radio. I bypassed all of those connections and basically went back to bone stock to make certain it wasn't anything to do with my cellset that is causing my lack of muting capabilities.

I have to YELL to get the intercom to mute, even close to 19-20. My wife would go hoarse to be able to break the radio when talking with the intercom on!

I took my friends 2013 and added his helmets / my helmets to his bike and basically it's the same way! This is very frustrating to say the least!
:mad:

It has been mentioned that 01-10's are different than the 2012/13/14? For those of us with a 2nd Generation GL1800, is there anything we can do to try to alleviate this problem....obviously, I'm not the only one having this problem... there has to be more out there like me?
Is there a recall on any part of the audio electronic system that would fix this situation that anyone may know of?

Thanking you in Advance!
That's not acceptable..I would be guessing,
but one wonders if there's an internal adjustment
within the radio to increase the sensitivity.
I think Larry M would be the one to ask

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's not acceptable..I would be guessing,
but one wonders if there's an internal adjustment
within the radio to increase the sensitivity.
I think Larry M would be the one to ask

And you would be correct Fred. LarryM has made contact but he needs a wiring harness from a salvage 2012/13/14 to be able to hook everything up to try to make any changes necessary!
It sure is a PITA though!
:nojoke:

P.S. An Ontario RTE should be on the agenda pretty soon? What do you think?

·
Vendor
445 Posts
There are no internal adjustments for the intercom mute or mic gain in the 12 and up stereos. With newer J&M or IMC high output mics I set the the mic volume at 8 or 9 and mute level at 10 or 11 and never have a problem with it muting the music in the headset. Intercom mute setting has no effect on the external speakers. Driver and passenger have to be able to hear themselves at these settings. If They cannot hear themselves either the mic placement is wrong or they are not speaking loud enough. Mixing different models and brands of headsets will have negative effects on proper operation of the intercom.

·
Registered
263 Posts

And you would be correct Fred. LarryM has made contact but he needs a wiring harness from a salvage 2012/13/14 to be able to hook everything up to try to make any changes necessary!
It sure is a PITA though!
:nojoke:

P.S. An Ontario RTE should be on the agenda pretty soon? What do you think?
RTE...Sure thing!!!Keep me posted Hal... BTW, I'm wireless with the SENA set up ( gave up on my Honda intercom long ago).Also have some J/M and ED SET'S to further test your muting issue if in fact differing mics can cause issues as per Wayne's comment, "Mixing different models and brands of headsets will have negative effects on proper operation of the intercom".

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Wayne made a really good point here. I hope that you are not trying to mute the external speakers. The Intercom mute will only mute music when it is routed through the headsets.

It is interesting that some people have this problem, while others don't. I may have to poll members on the 2012 board to see if there may have been a running change made somewhere along the line. An intercom mute problem is not something that is subject to failure, due to the nature of the circuitry in the radio. If there is a problem, it would have to be a design problem that affects all similar radios.

Something should be pointed out here that may seem dumb, but sometimes the simplest things are the cause of problems, so I want to eliminate it as a possibility.

The Intercom volume setting has no affect on Intercom mute. it doesn't matter if you have the volume set for 0, 10, or 20, the music will mute at the same level. Don't even try to adjust the Intercom volume to increase mute sensitivity. It won't work.

I don't know the order of the menu options for the 2012 and later bikes, so I will assume here that they are the same as the 01-10. The first press of the button brings up the Intercom volume. Press the button again and a second option comes up, which is labeled Intercom Mute. That is the setting you want. Turn the mute up to 20. That is the most sensitive setting. If it still won't mute, then yes, there is a problem.

In a quiet garage, even the 01-10 bikes need a setting of about 14 to mute music. The setting will be lower once you are on the road and your voice mixes with wind and road noise.

We have had owners in the past that did not know there was a second separate mute setting, so I had to ask.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:agree: Thanks Larry. It is with the helmet speakers...not the external speakers. With the intercom mute set at 20....I still have to holler to get the music to soften down. I have the intercom volume at 12-13 or so.
I understand it doesn't completely mute, just softens the volume of the radio and then returns to regular volume after speaking.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts

Why does Honda change something that works reasonably well, and doesn't pay any attention to feedback given to them by a lot of experienced riders on this and other boards.
Just doesn't make sense to me!
Just an FYI, manufacturers don't pay any attention to message boards. Message boards have too much noise and are too unreliable for mfrs to gain anything worth their time. Try and imagine how much it would cost to pay someone by the hour to read posts and spend the amount of time on the boards that we do. They learn of problems far easier and more reliably through the dealer service network. And as harsh as it seems, the only thing that Honda cares about is how many warranty claims are being generated, and how much it is costing them. If there isn't a rush of claims being filed in the service bays, in their mind, there is no problem.

The radio was completely redesigned for the 2012 bikes due to the change in the location of the keyboard and electronics, so it is certainly possible for many functions to operate differently. It is doubtful that any of the audio electronics are the same. They certainly don't want any features to work worse, but it can happen.

If there is a problem, Honda would not be able to fix it. They would have to notify Panasonic, and Panasonic would have to research it and fix it on their end. It's their design, not Honda's. And by the time that happens, the radios already in the field are out of warranty. This is why independent servicers exist. We fix the problems that weren't fixed by the factory, and we can do it for far less money than the factory can.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
:agree: Thanks Larry. It is with the helmet speakers...not the external speakers. With the intercom mute set at 20....I still have to holler to get the music to soften down. I have the intercom volume at 12-13 or so.
I understand it doesn't completely mute, just softens the volume of the radio and then returns to regular volume after speaking.
Thanks for the response. I had to make sure it was not operator error. I did not think to ask this when you emailed me about it.

This means I am going to have to poll the owners of 2012 and later bikes. There has to be a range of radios with this problem. Panasonic has probably instituted a fix for the later bikes.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
My 06 is the same way. You have to yell at it to make the mute work
Yours I can hook up and test on the bench, and fix it if it has a problem. I have never read of a problem with the Intercom mute circuit on any 01-10 radio, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The only thing certain about an 06 is that it is not a design problem. It would have to be a part failure.

I have racked my brain for the last week trying to come up with something external that can cause this (other than the mute sensitivity adjustment.) I've got nothing.

Do any of you guys have any other symptoms of something not working right on the radio?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts