GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may not meet requirements for this forum, so if not... no offense if removed.

This IS NOT a how to article designed for first timers attacking air filter change. There are already plenty of articles and videos for the beginners. But I find after doing this before, referring to videos and bouncing from chapter to chapter in my service manual just slows me down. So I created a simple step by step checklist on changing the air filter. It was created for my own use, but maybe others will find it handy.

The .PDF checklist is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
This may not meet requirements for this forum, so if not... no offense if removed.

This IS NOT a how to article designed for first timers attacking air filter change. There are already plenty of articles and videos for the beginners. But I find after doing this before, referring to videos and bouncing from chapter to chapter in my service manual just slows me down. So I created a simple step by step checklist on changing the air filter. It was created for my own use, but maybe others will find it handy.

That's handy. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the cussing part...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks for sharing, nice cheater sheet. My cussing is in a slightly different location. I do mine when I am trying to connect the plug in front of the ignition when putting everything back together. That plug always gives me problems..

·
Registered
194 Posts

Thanks! This is awesome!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

I've done mine enough times that I can do it in my sleep, but it still helps to have a check list for those CRS moments that afflict me more and more often.

Another thing that I have always done is to start with a sheet of cardboard and a marker.
I draw a crude outline of the top shelter and its panels. As I remove screws, I punch them into the location on the drawing that corresponds with the location where I removed the screw.
No loose screws rolling around and I don't have to remember (CRS) Where the short and long screws go.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
To me, taking the connector loose right under instrument panel is the worst part sometimes.
I got this one from Len.

File down the little nub in the connector that locks it into the mating connector. Make sure it is somewhat rounded and smooth, but leave enough so that it still clicks into place.
It will still stay in place, but next time a simple tug should pull it loose.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Another thing that I have always done is to start with a sheet of cardboard and a marker.
I draw a crude outline of the top shelter and its panels. As I remove screws, I punch them into the location on the drawing that corresponds with the location where I removed the screw.
No loose screws rolling around and I don't have to remember (CRS) Where the short and long screws go.
Another brilliant idea!

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I got this one from Len.

File down the little nub in the connector that locks it into the mating connector. Make sure it is somewhat rounded and smooth, but leave enough so that it still clicks into place.
It will still stay in place, but next time a simple tug should pull it loose.
I just cut the locking piece right off of the connector altogether with a side cutters.
There is still so much friction between the male and female connectors that it will NEVER come loose on its own.
4 years after doing this on my bike it still requires a few good tugs to separate that connector even with the locking tab gone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you!! This will definitely come in handy!!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I made a checklist too.

1. Take to dealer to have filter done
3. Pickup at dealer
4. Pay bill
5. Cuss at Honda Engineers & Dealer
6. Get cussed at by wife when charges show up on debit card.
7. Cuss at Honda Engineers & Dealer
8. Have several beers
9. Sleep on couch

On a serious note. One of our local mechanics (specializes in Wings) only charges an hour ($90) to change the air filter. Says they have done so many they have it down to a science. But I suspect he gets lots of additional business while the bikes are in their shop for filters as well.

He had at least 6 Wings in his service area while I was there last visit. I have not used him yet. But I will.

Thanks to the OP for the checklist.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Awesome thanks for the input I saved the list and will definitely use it when it comes time to change the air filter.(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts