GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to do another 2012 thread, but I thought I'd jot down my impressions of it. I was dropping my '05 off for service yesterday and saw that they have a blue '12 on the floor and decided to take a close look at it along with my friend who was there, also.

I like the blue, and overall, I like the appearance of the bike. The back end of the saddlebags is a bit odd-looking, but is something one would get used to after awhile. Not a deal breaker for me if I were looking to buy one. The seat cover is of a different material and it seems like it's wider than previous years, and the lumbar support portion looks higher, as well. I can't say whether the "extra" room in the bags is really all that apparent or useful. One could only determine that when packing up for a trip, I guess. The jury is still out on the unhinged storage compartment on the top shelter. I think it would have been better if hinged instead. Too much chance of it falling off the bike or getting blown off by the wind when it's opened. I hated the flat gray/black side panels in back of the fairing. I rather suspect the aftermarket will be all over that quickly. We wondered if the chromed ones on pre-2012 models would fit or if the shape is just enough different to preclude that. We both felt that the black rear fender panel should have been color matched to the body of the bike.

While discussing the bike, we both shared the opinion that the white '12 is the nicest color job, as the white with silver goes nicely together--looks classy. So in considering the new bike, while I'm not in the market for one now, I think it's nice looking, just different. Oh, and I really like the tailight/turn signal design. To me it looks sharp. The lights are bright and the turn signals are really visible, whereas the ones on the '01--'10 aren't, at least during the daylight. Just my opinion on that. Some like it, some don't. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I agree I think the 2012 cosmetics are a nice touch. I would only purchase one if my 05 had like 500,000 miles and I just had to have a brand new bike.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
I hate to do another 2012 thread, but I thought I'd jot down my impressions of it.

TO ALL POSTERS:
Don't hesitate to add your own evaluation about the 2012 Goldwings.

This is the hottest read here and by writing your own opinion,
just might help some of us on what to look for when/if we decide to buy.

In fact, I think there should be a separate read segment on the 2012.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I saw my first 2012 up close two days ago at my dealer. White one. I liked it, all but the view of the rear, I think it looks kinda oinky boinky. But it wouldn't stop me from buying one if I was in the market for a new bike. I have an 05. The new side bags are larger, I like that, I like the display, I like the way the front-end looks. I think I would appreciate the suspension upgrade. I would buy the white.

·
Banned
208 Posts
2000 miles on mine, loving it. Suspension, seat, NAV and added storage a plus over my 08 Wing. No wobble either...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I was in a Powersports dealer nearby and stopped in to see if they had any on the floor. They had three: white, blue, and black (I think).

I had much the same opinions and, I too, have an '05.

I like it, but if I want to spend that kind of money, it would have to be perfect in ALL ways for me, including the styling of the rear end.

I'll wager that the '13s or '14s restyle the rear end. I still don't think I'd be in the market. I'd like ABS, but I love my '05!

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I like it, but if I want to spend that kind of money, it would have to be perfect in ALL ways for me, including the styling of the rear end.
Nothing is perfect but the 2012 could be a LOT closer. I don't think it would be so bad if it matched up in the back. I don't mind the front that much and the sides. The "alien" front could be replaced with chrome or an older, repainted piece. I prefer the chrome side covers. The black and mismatched rear end make it look slapped together with spare parts and the width of the saddlebags make it look like a fattened pig coming at you. Maybe when the redesign is finished it will look ok but it's only half finished now. A few of the same design "flaws" as there always were I think - for example the trunk lid rubbing on the bottom. I'm curious to hear how the highway pegs/boards work with that widened fairing. I'm actually kind of glad it doesn't look good because now I'm not enticed even a little bit to upgrade. LOL! If I wanted a trike it would probably be perfect because the first thing you'd do is rip those atrocious saddlebags off of it! :cool:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
from the pictures of the 2012 .. i won't waste my time going look at one..
Honda sure screwed up... they cut every corner to cheapen the price and it sure reflects it..

cosmic

·
Registered
3,699 Posts

I'll wager that the '13s or '14s restyle the rear end.
:agree: On both statements here.

Cost and the future economy with predict
if Honda will finish what they started in design.

I just wonder what they were thinking on those tail lights............:no:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Honda sure screwed up... they cut every corner to cheapen the price and it sure reflects it..

I agree, and do we know, did they improve that cable latch system on the trunks, or how about extending the lower front fender to eliminate the fender extensions,
seat comfort, eliminating belly pans for oil filter protection, switches sticking over time etc. etc. :shrug:

All the same design since 2001 and $7,000 more in asking price, NO THANKS

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The local dealer had two the other day. One red one and a white, I think. Neither had GPS so I didn't get too interested. I did sit on the red one and the seat is much softer than the older models. I liked the front end and the back wasn't near as bad as the pictured made it look, I could get used to it. I liked the three color paint scheme, but I think it would have looked better if the black was gloss instead of flat. My 07 only has 69K so I'm really not in the market for a new one, but if I were I would not hesitate to buy a 2012.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just saw a 2005 sitting beside a 2012 at the local dealer. (needed new gloves) Got to see it up close. I can understand some of the comments I have read on here over the past few weeks. I really like the 2 tone look. It set the bike off real nice. Seat looked about the same but the climbing onto the 2012 it sat nice. Saw a number of suttle differences. The fairing slightly diff and the fog lights. Buttons down on the side, and not sure where the head light and suspension adjustment is. The rear is different. Bu the signals are much bigger so there is a safety improvment. The dealer was thinking the 2013 will have even more changes. I dont know. But getting rid of any predujice I may have as far as comparing. The 2012 looks good. And when I wear out the 2010 I wouldnt mind jumping on the 2012 and riding off into the sunset. But I still love my Wing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
It's too bad they put the old style trunk with old style tail lights on the new style saddle bags with new tail lights. And the bikes are all 2 tone. I think I would like a choice of a all one color option.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Wi-Winger - I was looking them over too. The dealer had a brochure listing Honda Line add on stuff for the '12s, one of which was a fender extender. So, to your point, I don't think they lengthened the fender.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
saw a white one at my dealer today. Looked pretty decent actually. Tail end still looks funky, but I could get used to the bike as a whole.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree that the trunk should match the bags better. I did not like when they changed the tail lights the first time but it grew on me. I think this will grow on me too. I would buy one.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess, for me, at least, I felt that it looked better in person than it does in the photos. Maybe it's because you get to see the whole bike instead of just a 2 dimensional image.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I had my spoiler installed and my 4K service done today.

I like most everything about the bike, save the styling. The jury is still out on that. I think I can get used to it after the aftermarket get going on it and maybe a little paint.

The seat, ride and handling are improved. Seat is 1 inch higher.

The electronics are noticably improved.

Headlight adjustment is now on the right storage box and only works when bike is stopped.

Probably no hinge on center storage because handlebars would hit the lid if wheel turned.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts