GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of upgrading the audio on my 12 and ran into some issues. I changed out all the speakers for polks and I have a sony xplod amp ready to be installed. That is where I am stuck. I cant find the stock amp, I read it is under the rear fender but after a long search I still can't locate it. I also can't find the output wires running from the amp to the speakers. I assume there are no RCA outputs on the factory amp, so my next idea was to run the speaker wires from the factory amp to the sony amp then to the speakers. I checked every wire under the seat and couldn't find the speaker wires that run to the front speakers. Is there an easier way to wire the aftermarket amp to the factory sound? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Pull the rear black plastic that has the license plate on it. With that off, you will see a back box above the rear tire. The amp is in that box. I doubt there are any RCA jacks. This system is not like an aftermarket system.

·
Registered
216 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1440073224752.jpg

The amp is the black box, right behind the rear fender that holds license plate, you don't need to worry about the amp, all you need to know is where the plug is located under the seat. Тhis is what the amp plug under the seat looks like. It's a bundle of 20 wires and per manual it's called P20. Next thing you need to know is the wire color codes. But just to give you an idea, 8 of those are for radio out, 8 for amp out and 4 for power. Only smart thing Honda did was, they used 2 wires for positive and 2 for negative (instead of running thicker wires).

Ps: the sony xplod amp is no good, it heats up quickly and shuts itself down. If you'll keep it, next thing you'll have to deal with is to install fans around the amp. Although Sony was a good brand for home electronics, it's not a proper brand for car electronics, here's the right brands you should be looking for: Clarion, Alpine, Blaupunkt.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I also upgraded my speakers front and rear on my 2013 wing... (Polk Audio) I used this Amp and it is also used by several others here on this site...has a built in fan and never had a problem shutting down due to heat...it is very simple to hook up as well... and you DO NOT have to cut into the Audio harness of your bike to install it

http://www.arcaudio.com/p/ks-125-2-bx-mini

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the plug info. Im sure I can figure out the color coding Honda used. I will give the Sony amp a shot, only cost me a few bucks. If I have overheating issues I will try something else. Will that Arc amp fit in the top trunk? It looks alot bigger than my Sony.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thanks for the plug info. Im sure I can figure out the color coding Honda used. I will give the Sony amp a shot, only cost me a few bucks. If I have overheating issues I will try something else. Will that Arc amp fit in the top trunk? It looks alot bigger than my Sony.
It's speaker pods upgrade that fit larger size diameter up to 6.75". uploadfromtaptalk1440106872615.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1440106905869.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1440106964465.jpg

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The Amp is 7 1/4 L 1.7 H 4 3/4 W it is really a nice Amp and like I said you don't need to cut into the wire harness

John

3ETTO ()'(OR&5,,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Amp is 7 1/4 L 1.7 H 4 3/4 W it is really a nice Amp and like I said you don't need to cut into the wire harness

How do you hook up the output from the factory amp then?
Also it looks like that amp is only 2 channels.....

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
run each of the rear OEM speaker wires to the input of the Amp...then run four speaker wires from the Amp to each of the Polk Audio speakers...

run a wire from the Bikes 5 amp fuse (top left) outlet to the Amp (turn on circuit) to allow the Amp to turn on/off with the key...

run a 8 gauge wire from the battery with a 25 Amp fuse (in line) to the power connect on the Amp

Run a 8 gauge wire from the ground of the Amp... to chassis ground on the bike,and you are done

The only feature that won't work is the speaker control for front to rear...which is no big deal

John

·
Registered
216 Posts
run each of the rear OEM speaker wires to the input of the Amp...then run four speaker wires from the Amp to each of the Polk Audio speakers...

run a wire from the Bikes 5 amp fuse (top left) outlet to the Amp (turn on circuit) to allow the Amp to turn on/off with the key...

run a 8 gauge wire from the battery with a 25 Amp fuse (in line) to the power connect on the Amp

Run a 8 gauge wire from the ground of the Amp... to chassis ground on the bike,and you are done

The only feature that won't work is the speaker control for front to rear...which is no big deal

John
This setup is for older models, without oem amp and what about front speaker. Bikes wih oem amp have a plug (pictured above), where cutting into harness is not requred nor running extra wires.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
not sure if by older models you mean a 2013...if so I have an older model

you will run 4 different sets of speaker wire from the AMP output one set to each of the four speakers...easy

IMO there is NO comparison between with and without the external Amp

I'm sure there are many ways to do this...the way I did it works perfect...

John

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

John
Your method is for using a 2 channel amp for a 4 speaker setup. Do you use all the speaker outputs for the Arc amp input or just the rears?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
the Amp only has two inputs for speakers and I just connect my original rear speaker cables into them ...plus RCA type connections (which I don't use)
then on the output terminals I connect both Left front and Left Rear into the left channel and do the same for the right Channel

I know the web site shows two amps...mine is the KS 125.2 BX MINI (2 Channel) I choose the Mini because it is small and does not take up a lot of space

from what I have read by many users (on this site as well as many others) it is a really reliable Amp

·
Registered
216 Posts
What was the reason for choosing 2 channel and not 4? There are plenty small 4 channel amps that fit into trunk well. I'm curious as I'm installing one in my bike.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
the main reason I went with this Amp is a few of the guys on this forum used it in their wings...they had nothing but praise for this Amp and the sound quality
it produced...

My question's for you is:

Will there be a big sound improvement using the 4 channel Amp over the two channel ?

What other advantages are there in using a four channel Amp?

I could have bought another set of Focal Utopia No 7 speakers and the Focal Be21 Sub woofer and a Mosconi Gladen Zero Amp like I have in my car

but would really be a huge waste of money for an open air motorcycle... lets face it...the four Polk speakers are less than $200.00 no matter what Amp
you use can only sound so good

·
Registered
216 Posts
the main reason I went with this Amp is a few of the guys on this forum used it in their wings...they had nothing but praise for this Amp and the sound quality
it produced...

My question's for you is:

Will there be a big sound improvement using the 4 channel Amp over the two channel ?

What other advantages are there in using a four channel Amp?

I could have bought another set of Focal Utopia No 7 speakers and the Focal Be21 Sub woofer and a Mosconi Gladen Zero Amp like I have in my car

but would really be a huge waste of money for an open air motorcycle... lets face it...the four Polk speakers are less than $200.00 no matter what Amp
you use can only sound so good
Talking about savings, how does a $400 amp meets your objective while there are a number of comparable brands for lass than half of the cost.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts