GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got less than 150 miles on my bike. now it looks like i need to make a run to NC for funeral and thinking of riding the bike. i've never owned a new mc before so i've never worried about the breakin. will riding steady at 79 mph for 5 hour hurt it? the owners manual says to take it easy for 5oo miles.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You will most likely get a ton a different replies. My personal experience with two different wings starting with zero miles is that it won't hurt it a bit. My last wing I bought 600 miles from home, rode it off the lot and straight home, highway the entire time. Bike runs great.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Some say take it easy, others say ride it like you stole it. Either way, that bike will probably last you as long as you want a bike. Engines are built to closer tolerances than ever before and break in is not as critical as it used to be.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
Nope! Enjoy the ride. First oil change isn't due until 4,000 miles. Change it when you get back if you want.

Ride safe! :thumbup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Gold Wing and the VTX motors were broken in at the factory in Maryville, Ohio. That is why the first oil change is at 4000 miles. They want you to take ot easy for the first 500 miles for the brakes, clutch and other parts that need a break in period.

·
Registered
26 Posts
breakin

just drive it, start and stop nice and easy

·
Registered
234 Posts
And don't forget to take it easy the first 100 miles or so to get a nice nap on the tires. They can be a little slippery at first...

·
Registered
19,314 Posts
Nope! Enjoy the ride. First oil change isn't due until 4,000 miles. Change it when you get back if you want.

Ride safe! :thumbup:
:agree:It's in tha manual

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I picked mine up with .4 on the odo. The very first ride was 180 miles, and then 180 back 2 days later. It now has 41k on the ticker in less than 2 years and not a single problem. Buy it, fill it, ride it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Agree with everyone's remarks...I would also not take it to Redline for awhile either. :thumbup:

:congrats:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just ride and enjoy its not a Harley. The last Harley I bought was in Phoenix, Arizona and he asked how far I had to Ride. It was only about 50 miles and was told to only ride halfway, let it cool down and then go home!!!!!!! Even that did not help. Have a great trip:congrats:

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Agree with everyone's remarks...I would also not take it to Redline for awhile either. :thumbup:

:congrats:
I wonder what the salesman thought watching me when I rode out of the parking lot. As soon as I hit the road and was straight I hammered it hard. Had .01 miles on it. lol Brought a huge grin to my face.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I always break'em in like I ride'em. We rebuild my sons MX bike and his break in is the first race.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have heard that you shouldn't keep at a constant speed during breakin.

I think you should push it up to 125 once in a while.

Never had a problem with 10 wings regardless of how I broke them in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts