·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have had the new 2012 for a week now. Mileage 1076

Issues: None

Findings:
Wiring looms are routed different than 08, ordered service manual

Rear lights either have or are capable of 3-way plugs even though they only use two, this means I can add turn signals to the trunk lights and add brake lights to the center light assembly with minor wiring needed.

Rivco hitch from 08 will not fit 2012, put a call in to Rivco

SO input:
Loves the seat, not that the 08 seat was bad

Loves that we can use her IPod

Really likes the color over the titanium 08

Changing the oil and filter tonight as well as the rear diff oil.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Any thoughts on airflow/buffeting?

Well I have had the new 2012 for a week now. Mileage 1076

Issues: None

Findings:

Rear lights either have or are capable of 3-way plugs even though they only use two, this means I can add turn signals to the trunk lights and add brake lights to the center light assembly with minor wiring needed.

Rivco hitch from 08 will not fit 2012, put a call in to Rivco

SO input:
Loves the seat, not that the 08 seat was bad

Loves that we can use her IPod

Really likes the color over the titanium 08

Changing the oil and filter tonight as well as the rear diff oil.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Dave i would not change rear drive oil now. They used to put a additive in the other bikes.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave i would not change rear drive oil now. They used to put a additive in the other bikes.
Just habit, every shaft bike I owned (eight) always got the diff oil changed within the 1st 1000miles. I usually would look at the old oil in the direct sun light and see it glitter with metal shavings... and I would clean out the magnet plug with all the gunk built up. Then every other oil change I will do the diff oil again and compare the amount of shavings, every time it will be less.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the volume in the headsets compare to the 08? Someone complained that it wasn't as loud, do you find that to be true?
No diff actually its a bit louder since I have stock pipes on the 2012 and the 2008 did not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like the looks of the 12! The only thing I would change is the rear trunk lights. The clear lights would look better and closely match the brake light/turn signals. Congrats BTW and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I road one Saturday. Don't you think it strange the lower center light doesn't come on as a brake light?? Only the two in the trunk..

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
:congrats: I don't think you'll have any problems with it, after all it's a Goldwing, and we all know the're the best.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mark18

Mark18 - you have your private messages turned off, I could not reply to your question.

Service manual can be ordered through the number in the owners manual, price listed in there as well.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Findings:
I'm interested in 3 wiring connectors if you can help:

The inside ends of both headset cables. Are they in the same location and do they have the same 6 postion/5 pin connectors (1 vacant postion) connectors ? If so, do you have any idea if they use the same pin outs?

Also the 2 pin, connector for adding a passenger CB PTT switch?

BTW, did you see my post offerring a free Mic-Mutes installation on a 2012 ? http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285442

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
Same great engine
improved suspension
improved seat
If you like the looks
YOU GOT A KEEPER

·
Banned
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm interested in 3 wiring connectors if you can help:

The inside ends of both headset cables. Are they in the same location and do they have the same 6 postion/5 pin connectors (1 vacant postion) connectors ? If so, do you have any idea if they use the same pin outs?

Also the 2 pin, connector for adding a passenger CB PTT switch?

BTW, did you see my post offerring a free Mic-Mutes installation on a 2012 ? http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285442
Just saw your post, the inside ends are within 6" of the original locations, front it is actually in the same area, in the back if you move it around a bit you could get it to end up in the same place. The actual connectors are the same and I will have to assume it has the same pin-outs since everything I had plugged into the 08 works the same on the 2012.

Let me think about the install and getting to Pitts. I might take you up on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
For the 2012, I believe Electrical Connection now has a kit to replace the rear directionals with red lenses and use them as running lights, as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts