GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat on a red '12 at a dealer yesterday.

My impression was that the seating position offered just a tad more leg room than the previous generation.

Am I right?

Still seems a bit tight for me...but getting better. I've always been surprised that Honda seems to build Wings with a shorter rider in mind.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sat on a red '12 at a dealer yesterday.

Still seems a bit tight for me...but getting better. I've always been surprised that Honda seems to build Wings with a shorter rider in mind.
Not being ugly or racist or anything but Honda did get started and does a lot of business in Japan. And Japanese people are a bit shorter in general than their American counterparts. So.......... :shrug:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I sat on a 2012 Wing and didnt notice any difference in space when compared to my 06 Wing. Maybe it's just me. :shrug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 6' 4" with 36" inseam and my knees and shins are about an inch from the fairing. The Wing does not provide a "cruiser" leg position but I find it comfortable.

What are you looking for in the way of legroom?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not being ugly or racist or anything but Honda did get started and does a lot of business in Japan. And Japanese people are a bit shorter in general than their American counterparts. So.......... :shrug:
Things might have changed, but I was stationed at FEN Tokyo (now AFN Tokyo) during the mid 80s, and at that time, the Japanese weren't allowed to buy anything larger than a 750, nor take two up on the highway. I had a Yamaha Venture Royale at the time (1100cc) and when attending Honda's mountain-top rallies (literally tens of thousands of cycles), they'd roll my bike up the front podium as the largest bike there. The Japanese were totally amazed that bikes were being built in their country, strictly for export to other countries...

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have a 2012 and haven't noticed a difference when it was parked side by side in the showroom with 2010 model.

Although the seat height is fairly low, it permits riders to reach the ground with both feed and for a bike this heavy, that's pretty much essential if you don't want to be forced to use reverse every time you want to inch the bike backwards a bit.

For the longest time, BMW bikes were said to be too tall and it excluded a lot of potential riders from owning them, now the K1600GTL seat is lower than the Goldwing's and people are complaining the seat's too low. :lol:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I can tell you that the seat on a 2012 is 1 inch higher than my 3 other 1800's.

I no longer use my gel/sheepskin pad.

Stock seat is very comfortable. Wonder if it has a gel pad in it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm 6' 4" with 36" inseam and my knees and shins are about an inch from the fairing. The Wing does not provide a "cruiser" leg position but I find it comfortable.

What are you looking for in the way of legroom?
How have you modified your wing? We have the same height and inseam and I struggle for long distance comfort while on a stock wing. Had a BMW K1200 that seemed to fit me so much better but I want a wing for the superior drive-train (among other things). Haven't had the time to sit on a '12 yet and wad hoping ergo's were a little different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two things I immediately noticed, which are why I asked.

First, it was easier to swing a foot over without binding on the backrest, speakers, etc., and second, it did seem that there was just a little more room between my knees and the fairing. and my hips did not feel as cramped.

Those were issues for me...but not so much now.

Here's an interesting M/C ergonomic site...they haven't investigated the '12 Wings yet:

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Have fun, whatever you ride!

·
Registered
270 Posts
How have you modified your wing? We have the same height and inseam and I struggle for long distance comfort while on a stock wing. Had a BMW K1200 that seemed to fit me so much better but I want a wing for the superior drive-train (among other things). Haven't had the time to sit on a '12 yet and wad hoping ergo's were a little different.
I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam and I've done the Wingsoft Large mod by Bikesolutions LLC. I love it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Stock seat on an '03 and can go 8 hours no problem. I only say 8 because I haven't tried any farther. I do have highway pegs that I use occasionally.

My knee is almost touching the panel and shin follows the line down. I occasionally splay my boot toe-out for a change.

Foot pegs are Ergo II Highway Boards.

Others have special seats to put you back one or two inches.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
It would seem logical to assume that. But in reality, the Wing, is built specifically for the US market. There are very few Goldwings sold in Japan. In fact, their laws with regards to motorcycles makes it very difficult to own a Wing over there.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
rnothog, your perception is not just an illusion. The seating position is a little higher which gives you a little more leg room. But it isn't because of a physical change in the dimensions of the bike. All the dimensions are exactly the same as prior models.

The new seat is not only a hair taller, but with the revised foam in the seat, you don't sink into it as much as the prior bikes. What can make the impression even more pronounced is that over time, the foam collapses on the older bikes, to the point where you are almost sitting on the pan when on the bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rnothog, your perception is not just an illusion. The seating position is a little higher which gives you a little more leg room. But it isn't because of a physical change in the dimensions of the bike. All the dimensions are exactly the same as prior models.

The new seat is not only a hair taller, but with the revised foam in the seat, you don't sink into it as much as the prior bikes. What can make the impression even more pronounced is that over time, the foam collapses on the older bikes, to the point where you are almost sitting on the pan when on the bike.
Thanks, Larry. That explains what I felt. The difference is a positive development.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts