GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the bike with extremely low mileage (~300 miles).. browsing thru user's guide made no sence about proper engine running with low mileage.
what's the speed limit for that period? what's the revs limit? what's the best running mode to prevent any damage or etc?
what's the min period for careful engine running?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the owners manual says something about riding at different speeds for several hundred miles. It's been so long since I've read it.
please, provide the page number... the part of guide labeled "Is your bike ready to ride?" tells nothing(

·
Registered
265 Posts
I bought mine new and was facing a 500 mile ride home that day. I asked the service manager/mechanic what I needed to do to break it in. He said to keep it around 55 to 65 for 50 miles or so and if it didn't show any problems to ride it anyway I wanted.
Later that day when I got into Texas the speed limit was 75 and if I went 75 I would have been run over and killed. I stayed with the traffic at 80 to 85 for a few hundred miles on the interstate stopping only for fuel. I do not like high speed riding but I felt pretty safe on my first trike.
I watched the temperature gauge and listened for anything unusual but the trike was flawless. My wife was behind me in our car and I told her if she saw any smoke coming out to stop me.
I did change the oil right away and checked everything out but there were no problems.
I'm pretty sure my Wing is hereby broke in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think the owners manual says something about riding at different speeds for several hundred miles. It's been so long since I've read it.
Got mine about a yrear ago and I to do not remember seeing it in the manual. I do remember the dealer telling me the same - for te fiorst 500 it is more important to vary the speed. Don't get on the superslab and buzz ooff a hundred miles on cruise. He also told me for the first 500 don,t Run over 4k rpm then 5k for the second 500'. After that ride it hard.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
No hard acceleration and no constant high RPM for prolonged periods of time for the first couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
It is already broke in, ride it any way you want.
Partialy right.

Manual recommends no hard acceleration and no constant high RPM for prolonged periods of time for the first couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Partialy right.

Manual susgests no hard acceleration and no constant high RPM for prolonged periods of time for the first couple hundred miles.
That's what I said, it has 300 miles on it. I have built enough motors to know.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
first service due at 6oo miles

pay attention to your shifting, be firm about it and double shift into 1st and 5th to make sure dogs are fully seated in tranny.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
That's what I said, it has 300 miles on it. I have built enough motors to know.
I was referencing a new bike , zero miles, thought you were too.

He is "good to go" with three hunded miles on it.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
first service due at 6oo miles

pay attention to your shifting, be firm about it and double shift into 1st and 5th to make sure dogs are fully seated in tranny.

What service is that Dug ? no such thing on a Wing.

It calls for the first oil and filter change at 4000 miles and nothing else, and you don't have to take to the dealer, it can be done by anyone as long you keep the receipts.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Got mine about a yrear ago and I to do not remember seeing it in the manual. I do remember the dealer telling me the same - for te fiorst 500 it is more important to vary the speed. Don't get on the superslab and buzz ooff a hundred miles on cruise. He also told me for the first 500 don,t Run over 4k rpm then 5k for the second 500'. After that ride it hard.
Maybe that's what I remember.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to everyone for participating. it's clear now... a ton of doubts disappeared, so I can just sit over and ride some thounsands of miles...

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
What service is that Dug ? no such thing on a Wing.

It only calls for the first oil and filter change at 4000 miles and nothing else, and you don't even have to take to the dealer, it can be done by anyone as long you keep the receipts.
uh huh -- and it's okay to run 8k on an oil change and the wing doesn't have a wobble issue, and blah blah blah

Old school, new school, no school.... doesn't matter. Most dealers will advise you to change the oil a few hundred miles in to help purge any metal shavings and other items like assembly lube and what not out of the system. The 600 mile mark is commonly used by most dealers who offer knowledgeable tech's.

If you operate off Honda's official stance, you would never service your front suspension either. Honda also does not replace piston rings after tearing down half the engine to repair the ghost shifting tranny. There isn't an engine builder/rebuilder worth a damn who reuses piston rings, but Honda does it.

The break in service does exist, though not published by Honda for their own reasons. I dare say if you called 10 Honda Powerhouse Dealers almost all of them would suggest the break in service at 600 miles.

You may choose to take a $25,ooo+ machine and not do the break in service but I will do it every single time and I laugh at the 8K service intervals. I remember when Honda spec for my 07 wing was 4k oil changes, not 8k. My services will remain at 4,ooo miles. Can't hurt the machine to change the oil more often.

My Tundra has over 105,ooo miles on her and the oil gets changed ever 3,000 miles. Period. I don't care that it can run 10,ooo miles between changes... I will continue to change it at 3,ooo.

Not knockin anybody for doing what they see fit for their wing but to blindly say I am wrong and there is no such thing as a break in service is not accurate.

BTW Walter- It's DOUG, not Dug

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
uh huh -- and it's okay to run 8k on an oil change and the wing doesn't have a wobble issue, and blah blah blah

Old school, new school, no school.... doesn't matter. Most dealers will advise you to change the oil a few hundred miles in to help purge any metal shavings and other items like assembly lube and what not out of the system. The 600 mile mark is commonly used by most dealers who offer knowledgeable tech's.

If you operate off Honda's official stance, you would never service your front suspension either. Honda also does not replace piston rings after tearing down half the engine to repair the ghost shifting tranny. There isn't an engine builder/rebuilder worth a damn who reuses piston rings, but Honda does it.

The break in service does exist, though not published by Honda for their own reasons. I dare say if you called 10 Honda Powerhouse Dealers almost all of them would suggest the break in service at 600 miles.

You may choose to take a $25,ooo+ machine and not do the break in service but I will do it every single time and I laugh at the 8K service intervals. I remember when Honda spec for my 07 wing was 4k oil changes, not 8k. My services will remain at 4,ooo miles. Can't hurt the machine to change the oil more often.

My Tundra has over 105,ooo miles on her and the oil gets changed ever 3,000 miles. Period. I don't care that it can run 10,ooo miles between changes... I will continue to change it at 3,ooo.

Not knockin anybody for doing what they see fit for their wing but to blindly say I am wrong and there is no such thing as a break in service is not accurate.

BTW Walter- It's DOUG, not Dug
OK... DOUG ! sorry. :eek:4:

You are wrong, of course dealers will advise you of allot things, do you really listen to all they say ?

Again, a six hundred mile service is not "called" for on a Wing, period, show me where it says otherwise, not only the Wing but many other newer vehicles don't require such service any more, where have you been ?

I never said not to change the oil before 4K, I said it does not call for the first service until 4K, I do the first oil change on all my bikes and cars around the first six or seven hundred miles, 4000-5000 from there on using Syntactic.

The six hundred mile "service" requirement for the most part was/is for machines that require re-torquing of the heads.

Had many bikes bought new many moons ago that had such requirement, not the Wing.

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
OK... DOUG !

Again, a six hundred mile service is not "called" for on a Wing, period, show me where it says otherwise, not only the Wing but many other newer vehicles don't require such service, where have you been ?

I never said not to change the oil before 4K, I said it does not call for the first service until 4K, I do the first oil change on all my bikes and cars around the first six or seven hundred miles, 4000-5000 from there on using Syntactic.
Where have I been... ask me where I have NOT been - much shorter list.

I find it funny we both support doing the 600-ish mile break in service but you got your panties in a wad because I said most Honda Powerhouse dealers will tell you to do it, though it is not currently in the owner's or service manuals.

you're a trip

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Where have I been... ask me where I have NOT been - much shorter list.

I find it funny we both support doing the 600-ish mile break in service but you got your panties in a wad because I said most Honda Powerhouse dealers will tell you to do it, though it is not currently in the owner's or service manuals.

you're a trip
I know you have not been reading.

Don't wear Panties and my Fruit of the Looms don't get into a wad just like that.

Honda Powerhouse Dealers ??? do you also believe in the Good Fairy ?

I simply stated a fact, why did that arritate you ?

You're a DIP !!! :roll:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Oh great!. DJ Fire is back! And of course, the arguments begin again. The forum has been nice and peaceful up until now. Hey Doug.....you forgot to tell everyone what a skilled rider you are. Haven't heard THAT for awhile. I miss it.

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Oh great!. DJ Fire is back! And of course, the arguments begin again. The forum has been nice and peaceful up until now. Hey Doug.....you forgot to tell everyone what a skilled rider you are. Haven't heard THAT for awhile. I miss it.
Lol...facts seem to comfuse some.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts