GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from Shawnee, OK with my option 4 and thought I'd share a few things while I'm cooling off with a cold one.

Cons: A. Totally uncomfortable bike; I'm 5'9" and weigh 180.
1. Handle bars are too low, too far apart, and too far away. I felt like I was always leaning forward, and not leaned back enjoying the ride. I installed risers on my '04 and took them off before the trade. I'll install them tomorrow and hope they help a little.
2. The seat is too hard, the bucket seems to be forward just a little, and the bucket seems a little smaller than my '04. After 200 miles, my butt and back were killing me. When I put my feet on the pegs, my knees were a little higher than my butt. I felt like I was sitting in a kiddie seat. The highway pegs I installed before I left gave some relief, but then there was the 'handle bars too far away' thing. I just called Direct Line and cancelled the backrest I previously ordered, because I can definitely see a custom saddle in the near future.
B. I know the engine needs breaking in, but the fuel economy was terrible. The first tank was 30 mpg; the second was 33, and my final fill up was 35. Hopefully, it'll improve.
C. Very difficult to get on the center stand. I always use the center stand and my '04 was a breeze to lift up, even with stuff in the trunk and saddlebags. At the VOQ yesterday afternoon, I tried 4 times to lift this bike and was unsussessful. I took the small overnight bag out of the trunk, and after two attempts, got it up. I can't imagine what the difference is, but I'm having difficulty with it.
D. If you forget to turn the navigation on before you pull out, you can't turn it on afterwards; you have to stop and turn off the engine to activate the controls.

Pros: A. Audio is outstanding. Even at 75 mph and a full face helmet, I could hear the speakers when I switched off the headset. And the sound was pretty good at that speed. In the parking lot last night, it sounded great. Headphone output is clear with good separation.
B. I only used it a little, but the Navigation was excellent; as good as my Magellon 9500 series. Lane assist, verbal instructions in the headsets or over the speakers; everything was fine.
C. The engine is unchanged, but it seemed more responsive and quicker than my '04. Throttle response was excellent.
D. Cruise control engaged instantly; mine always dropped about 5 mph and then engaged.
E. For lack of a better word, the bike is 'nimble' and handling was what I'd expect on a sport bike.
F. Very little wind in the cockpit. The wider part of the lower faring probably helps. Wind screen is good with a little buffeting on both arms.
G. Saddlebags and trunk are denitely/noticeably larger.

Except for the comfort issue (which I'll take care of), I'm going to love this bike.

I'll change my avatar when I get some new pics.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Since comfort trumps everything else, sure doesn't sound like you're going to love this bike (?) :shrug:
Exactly what I thought. Isn't that what a pure touring bike is all about? I know you answer is to change things you don't like, but I wouldn't want to buy a bike where your first comment is "Totally uncomfortable bike".

·
Registered
894 Posts
I knew the saddlebags were roomier, however, I was not aware of the trunk being any larger than prior 1800s, especially with the added electronics taken up space now ?

Roger

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since comfort trumps everything else, sure doesn't sound like you're going to love this bike (?) :shrug:
Well, the comfort issues are seat related and I'll get a new saddle. I've alreadly been talking with Mark at Hartco this afternoon. Handling, navigation, audio, engine performance, etc are all great. There's a world of difference between my basic '04 and this '12 with everything; the cons I listed are minor at this point and can be overcome.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to buy a bike where your first comment is "Totally uncomfortable bike".
Unquote

My PRIMARY purpose for getting a '12 was the airbag. I wanted one when they first came out, but didn't want to trade for a bike that looked identical to mine. Except for the minor issues I listed in the cons, this is the finest machine on the road. Handlebars can be moved, seats can be padded, I'll live with 35 mpg instead of 40, when I can't get it on the center stand, I'll leave it on the side. I wasn't complaining, just giving an estimate of the first ride.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Not at the prices that they are charging for them!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trunk is the same as the older models, all the electronics are under the trap door in the bottom of the trunk.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you haven't looked at Diamond seats I would highly recommend you take a look. It's the best custom seat I have ever owned.
I remember someone saying when parking in the garage that they had a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 in plywood they parked the rear wheel on and it was a breeze to get on the center stand. Maybe it's just so new and needs a little breaking in. LOL

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks chazz, I'll take a look at the Diamond and try the plywood.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Thanks chazz, I'll take a look at the Diamond and try the plywood.
Call Mark the owner at Diamond to discuss details. All the pans are made from steel not plastic and he builds the seat to fit your height, weight and takes into any other concerns, such as lower back issues... I had him do an additional 1/2 in. NASA memory foam on the drivers seat and went with vinyl instead of the cloth inserts. I rate it above all other top brands. I sent him my stock Versy's seat for rebuild and it was 200% better than stock.

I am currently testing a new seat for a company on my 2011 V-Strom for reviews, if it's not what I hope for then I will be sending him the V-Strom seat to rebuild as well.

Congratulations on the new purchase of a 2012 and thanks for your honest opinion...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the same 2012 level four and upgraded from a 2005. I love the bike and the only changes I've noticed is the 2012 has a much smoother ride. Like the original post said, the 2005 cruise control used to drop 4-5 MPH and then would catch up. When engaging the 2012 cruise control, the bike actually leaps forward 3-4 MPH before slowing down. I got 42-43 MPG on the '05 and am running about 40-41 with the new bike.

Finally, I've heard a lot of complaints on the forum about having to stop to start or change settings on the GPS, suspension system, etc. Yes, it's annoying but I fully understand why Honda makes you do it. They know they'd be sued by some idiot that had an accident, blaming the manufacturer for not providing a lockout feature. Both my cars have to be stopped to adjust the GPS, so it doesn't surprise me that my bike's the same way...

J.D.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
I looked at a red '12. Really a nice looking bike but for 25,899 with nav? Just ordered Traxxion for my '06 and will wait for a total rebuild before buying a new Wing. How can one spend that much cash for a bike and say changing a seat for 1k +- is my guess and other things to make it comfortable. I just installed the wingrider trunk support and looked at the new bike's trunk. Same old trunk same old problem. I think Honda just changed some plastic to sell bikes not to improve anything.

·
Registered
171 Posts
After a few kinks are ironed out, sounds like the beginnings of a new love affair. Hope so--enjoy your new Wing!
OB

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Well, the comfort issues are seat related and I'll get a new saddle. I've alreadly been talking with Mark at Hartco this afternoon. Handling, navigation, audio, engine performance, etc are all great. There's a world of difference between my basic '04 and this '12 with everything; the cons I listed are minor at this point and can be overcome.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to buy a bike where your first comment is "Totally uncomfortable bike".
Unquote

My PRIMARY purpose for getting a '12 was the airbag. I wanted one when they first came out, but didn't want to trade for a bike that looked identical to mine. Except for the minor issues I listed in the cons, this is the finest machine on the road. Handlebars can be moved, seats can be padded, I'll live with 35 mpg instead of 40, when I can't get it on the center stand, I'll leave it on the side. I wasn't complaining, just giving an estimate of the first ride.
You DO know you have a dead animal on your seat, don't you? It's the biggest sheepskin seat cover I've ever seen. :lol:

I know you'll get it sorted out. Sorry for giving you a hard time!

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
If you want pure comfort I recommend getting a Harley Ultra. It's the only bike I've ridden that I can literally be in the saddle all day (12 hours) and be totally comfortable. My Goldwing seat sucks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That would be a 1/2 day.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The stock seat on my 08 works perfectly fine for me at least. The 12 was supposed to be improved? I sat on the seat for over 42 hours with 1.5hr of sleep to break up the two 1500 mile days. No highway pegs, no backrest. My back was complaining pretty good I'll admit, but the rear did fine.:lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts