GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out if I want to get the 2012 Garmin GPS update. I know the maps update would be nice but I was wondering if there were any firmware updates that I would value. I have a 2008 NAV / ABS using, I think, 2006 firmware. For those of you that have the new update what new features did you notice? Are street names now spoken? Does it now display MPH? Can you switch voices? Thanks for the input,

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
I am trying to figure out if I want to get the 2012 Garmin GPS update. I know the maps update would be nice but I was wondering if there were any firmware updates that I would value. I have a 2008 NAV / ABS using, I think, 2006 firmware. For those of you that have the new update what new features did you notice? Are street names now spoken? Does it now display MPH? Can you switch voices? Thanks for the input,
I just upgraded from the original, which had 2005 maps. For me, daylight savings time change is fixed. You can no longer disable certain maps to speed searching (that went away after the original firmware I think).

Street names not spoken and no other voices I don't believe. The MPH is on cluster above the LCD display (integration - what vehicle has 2 speedometers?). For me, the jump from the 2005 maps to the 2011 maps was worth it I think, however on my trip to Denver this week I did find some interchanges that weren't right. But things change all the time. I'll probably upgrade again in another 3-5 years. I don't see a need to have the latest one every time.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a Garmin GPS in my car that displays my speed. I like to compare it to my dashboard speedo to see how accurate it is. Sort of like using the speedo check mileage marks on a highway. I was hoping that the 2012 update had that. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS in my car that displays my speed. I like to compare it to my dashboard speedo to see how accurate it is. Sort of like using the speedo check mileage marks on a highway. I was hoping that the 2012 update had that. Thanks for the response.
I just got a 2012 nav abs 2 days ago. I doesn't have a speed display on the nav screen, at least not that I've been able to find. However, when I checked speeds against a hand held gps, they seemed to be right on. I wonder if the speedometer is somehow linked to the gps?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts