GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

For 2012 and Newer GL1800's owners. (PLZ check more than one ans)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little background first.
In total I have owned six Goldwings from 1988 until my current ride a 2012 ABS model. I am the second owner of my 2012 ABS RED/Silver GL1800. I also own a 2008 that does not have any paint problems whatsoever. I am including some pictures. This is my 3rd Gl1800 and I have to tell you that I am EXTREMELY disappointed with the way my paint has failed on my bike. What happened to Honda being synonymous with quality. I guess that is a thing of the past when it comes to owning a $26,000 motorcycle with a decent strong and resilient paint job.

The first owner was possibly even more meticulous than me as he had a bike cover that he used even in his garage. He used Plexus on the bike too and rarely left the bike out other than when riding it.

I bought my 2012 Gl1800 last year in July, so it has been about 1 year that I have owned the bike. When i purchased my 2012 it had just over 43K miles and now it has just turned 54K miles. It has always been garaged by the first and now me the second owner.

I noticed the paint problem on my 2012 trunk lid after buying the bike and thought maybe he put a bag on the trunk that caused a dull trunk finish, but it has gotten much worse in the 1 year I have owned the bike. The first owner assured me, as I suspected that he never put anything on the back of his bike other than his wife and that was on the back seat.

What has shown up on my 2012 trunk is now beginning in other areas of direct sunlight. My shelter, saddle bag tops etc. I have never experienced this type of paint failure on any of my other 5 Goldwings, so you can probably tell I am completely dissatisfied with my 2012 bike's paint job.

My 2001 GL1800 had over 201K miles when I sold her and she NEVER had any problems with the factory paint (Illusion Blue). I know the owner of my 2001, have seen my old bike and the paint still looks great. My 2008 GL1800 shown in one of the pictures in Cabernet Red has 86.5K miles and also does not display any Paint Failures like my 2012 is showing with only 54K miles. I can run my fingernail over the top lid of my trunk and I can NOT feel ANY surface scratches. The Swirls/Scratches/Star bursts shown in these pictures are below the clear coat.

Please view, zoom in on my pictures and help me out by identifying what is happening to the paint on my 2012 bike and Why?

If you are having any paint problems with your 2012 or newer Gl1800 like the paint failures in my pictures please post back a response to my new thread and let me know the year of your GL1800 and what the Honda color is. My color I believe is R345C Candy Alizarin Red with silver paint accents on the side radiator fairings.

I cant believe that I am the only owner with this issue.

Thanks very much in advance for your time and help!
40 year Long Time Honda Fan (until witnessing paint failures on my 2012)

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wow, you made me take a look at my trunk, just to ensure I didn't see anything like the issues you're having. My 2012 is the same color as yours with close to 49,000 on the clock. I do keep it garaged but not covered. I live in the So Cal area, so don't ride in much rain (except on trips) but plenty of sun... I use McGuire's wax on the paint, and it still looks like new.

I'll need to monitor this thread to see how other respond...

·
Registered
993 Posts
Is the bad paint just limited to the trunk lid? It's possible the previous owner may have done repair and cheap repaint of the trunk lid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question as it is showing up all over the bike.
Top of the saddle bags
The top shelter by the gas tank.
Basically it has begun where the sun is most direct.
We don't get nearly as much sun here in CT as you do in So Cal.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The clear coat on my 2005 was much tougher than on my 2016. I think Honda is dealing with VOC regulations, especially in Japan. Many manufactures are having to use "new" finishes that just aren't as durable as what we have had in the past.
As for VOC's and clear coats. I remember reading here when the F6B's came out, that people saw color on their polishing cloths!

With my 2016, the clear is almost rubber like. Just wiping with a cloth can mar the finish. I have to use micro-fiber cloths and not press on the surface too hard. Clear-coat safe rubbing compound will bring back the shine. But too many applications of this can buff down to the paint color.
I just have to be careful with the finish and the products and pressure I use.

For the center tank area, I protect the finish from my knees with 3M clear paint protective film. I also have this applied in strategic areas for finish protection.

Yes... the good tough finishes seem to be a thing of the past.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
None of the poll questions fit my bike, but my 2017 NHB53P Pearl Glacier White is far inferior to any paint on any of my earlier models. I haven’t seen anything like what is on yours, but there are spots that look faded or something similar to fading. Just not up to par at all as far as what I’m used to seeing on Gold Wings paint. This didn’t happen over time, either. Inferior from day one. However, it had been sitting somewhere for one year when I bought it. Don’t know when the dealer got it or how long it sat in a warehouse before he got it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your experience Dave. My problem is this is ALL happening below the clear coat. If you zoom in you will see spiderwebs within my paint on the trunk lid. It is evident to me that the paint on my particular Wing is having problems in the sun. Again My 2001 had over 240K miles and looks new compared to my 2012 GL1800. I spoke with Honda Customer Service and got an ear full of corporate CYA BS! Again I have never seen anything like this. In the next few days I will be visiting a couple of high end auto painters to get their input as to what is happening to my paint, what is the cause and if this is a problem with the original paint and or paint painting process on my bike.
I hope to get a lot more input from 2012 and newer bike owners...
Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AwingNut105, Thanks for taking time to share your experiences with Honda Paint Quality or how it has diminished throughout the past 17 years. I want to find out why this paint has failed and report back to Honda with my findings.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have a 2012 in the same color. My paint looks great and does not have any of the issues that you are having. The only problem I ran into was after my first coast to coast trip. I could not get the bug guts off the front part of the fairing under the windshield. No mater what I used, they would not come off. The paint was stained from the bugs. The paint remains shinny though on the whole bike.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My paint is red and silver. Paint is soft and have to be very careful. My Wings fine scratches seem to be in the clear coat.
I used to use Honda Pro Polish but I tried the Top Coat stuff and it hides the scratches better than the Pro Polish. It supposedly leaves a hardcoat. Not sure if it actually does.

*Bonus is the Top Coat is excellent on the black plastic.

Wifes '12 Civic has really good paint and it loves the Top Coat better than McGuires wax and easier to apply. Her car cleans itself sitting there when it rains and doesn't leave water spots and is shiny as if we just washed and waxed it.

Sad her car has way better paint than our Wings but glad Honda did something right.

I am not a dealer for Top Coat or anything and i know there is other stuff out there that might work as well or better but the Top Coat works for now to make the Wing look better and wife is happy about her Civic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks SnowMoer,
How many miles on your 2012? Could you please describe the type of care you have given to the paint over the last 7 years? I live in the Northeast and the bike is only used 7-8 months per year. I would think you get a fair amount of sun on your bike most of the year. How many months per year do you ride the Wing?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I believe that bike has been repainted

I had a 2008 in Caliente Red... and then traded for a 2012 ABS in Ultra Metallic Blue. The quality of finish on both bikes was similar. Perfect NO... Really very good... Yes...

I’d say the original owner either damaged the clear coat, or the bike was repainted. But i doubt if this is factory paint issue.

Did you buy it from a dealer or the original owner? Seems like they forgot to tell you something...:frown2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your input Steveo1800. Good questions!
I know and trust the prior owner and as I mentioned he is even more meticulous than I am and I have owned a 2001 GL1800 that now has 246K miles with no paint issues at all. You can tell much about a man from his garage and the way he takes great care of his possessions. I am positive that me 2001 GL1800 was in direct sunlight a **** of a lot more time/miles than my 2012. I spoke with the original owner about this paint problem a year later and he confirmed that the bike was never repainted. He also shared that he used Mequiars gold car wash and clean microfiber towels, then a healthy dose of Plexus plastic cleaner, protectant and polish on all painted tupperware. He has no reason to Lie and I don't for one moment think he would lie about this as I have no recourse with him anyway... Only Possibly Honda! He was pretty insulted that I even asked the question about repainted and I don't blame him. I bought my 2012 bike from him with 43K miles a year ago and noted a faded area on the top lid after buying it. It has gotten much worse over the next 10K miles that I have put on the bike in the last year. My 2008 has 86K miles and does not have this problem at all. Yes this same paint failure is showing up on the top saddle bags and also around the top shelter that is in direct sunlight. If the original owner re-painted the bike (and it wasn't repainted) then he must have re-painted the entire bike as it is failing in other areas where the sun hits it most. I am going to professional car/bike painters today to look at the bike and to get their analysis.
Thanks again Stev1800

·
Registered
548 Posts
Plexus Plastic Cleaner/Polish. Is this the Plexus some people are using on their paint?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm having my 2018 painted right now, not because of paint issues but I was surprised to see how thin the paint and it's pretty much a quick spray on the back of the panels. You shouldn't have to repaint your bike this early but if you decide to paint it its not as expensive as you might think.

I shopped around and got quotes of 1200 -1600 for paint if I brought the panels in and did the reassembly. I found shops that were less but I was wary of the work at that price.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm having my 2018 painted right now, not because of paint issues but I was surprised to see how thin the paint and it's pretty much a quick spray on the back of the panels. You shouldn't have to repaint your bike this early but if you decide to paint it its not as expensive as you might think.

I shopped around and got quotes of 1200 -1600 for paint if I brought the panels in and did the reassembly. I found shops that were less but I was wary of the work at that price.

I'm confused. You don't have paint issues with your 2018, but you're re-painting???

Not trying to be a wise guy. I've read your post several times and I'm having a hard time understanding it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm confused. You don't have paint issues with your 2018, but you're re-painting???

Not trying to be a wise guy. I've read your post several times and I'm having a hard time understanding it.
Yeah, I need a black bike for work and black isn't a factory option. Bought it, drove a a couple hundred miles to try it out and then pulled the body work off for paint, lights and siren.

Had the painter apply three extra coats of clear for durability. I was able to inspect all of my panels before and after he applied the clear. This allows you to catch any issues beforehand.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thanks for your input Steveo1800. Good questions!
I know and trust the prior owner and as I mentioned he is even more meticulous than I am and I have owned a 2001 GL1800 that now has 246K miles with no paint issues at all. You can tell much about a man from his garage and the way he takes great care of his possessions. I am positive that me 2001 GL1800 was in direct sunlight a **** of a lot more time/miles than my 2012. I spoke with the original owner about this paint problem a year later and he confirmed that the bike was never repainted. He also shared that he used Mequiars gold car wash and clean microfiber towels, then a healthy dose of Plexus plastic cleaner, protectant and polish on all painted tupperware. He has no reason to Lie and I don't for one moment think he would lie about this as I have no recourse with him anyway... Only Possibly Honda! He was pretty insulted that I even asked the question about repainted and I don't blame him. I bought my 2012 bike from him with 43K miles a year ago and noted a faded area on the top lid after buying it. It has gotten much worse over the next 10K miles that I have put on the bike in the last year. My 2008 has 86K miles and does not have this problem at all. Yes this same paint failure is showing up on the top saddle bags and also around the top shelter that is in direct sunlight. If the original owner re-painted the bike (and it wasn't repainted) then he must have re-painted the entire bike as it is failing in other areas where the sun hits it most. I am going to professional car/bike painters today to look at the bike and to get their analysis.
Thanks again Stev1800
Very unfortunate... hope the pros can help you... seems unusual for sure

1 - 20 of 28 Posts