GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front speaker replacement on 2012 Gl 1800.
There are videos how to remove the dash. Remember to put a piece of tape over the screw driver to remove the shell around the key housing. Then pull up by the controls, then move to one speaker area then another. Remember the tweeters are still plugged in and they are a put tab from opposite side. (on right right, push tab is on left and vice versa).
I had to use long nose vice grips to pinch the tab under the heated seat and handle bars. Here are photos one dash has been removed.

Right Side front speaker (5 1/4 " speakers)

You have a depth of 2 inches or 5 cm depth as this is where there is a step up in the casing area of the speaker.

There are 4 philips head bolts holding the factory speakers in place.
This is when I noticed this was not what I thought. Bolt patterns not lining up.

Now I new this was going to take me a while but I do enjoy this kind of work. I picked up 1/8 inch acrylic and used the factory speaker as my template. Here is a tip I realized after making the first template on the right side..

I wrapped it with painters tape the green stuff. What was happening, as I was cutting, it was welding itself back together from the heat. When I used tape on the other side, it was easier to follow my marks, mostly the tape stopped the melting and welding effect. It made life much easier and using the other template, about 15 minutes to complete.

You are right, the speaker is upside down for the writing but does not impact anything. The connectors on the back of the speaker were pressing up against that step up in the speaker enclosure area. After drilling and tapping into the metal of the enclosure area, this is mounted very solid in place. Don't forget to put the foam gasket on prior to connecting the wires. (right side (red is positive and left side yellow is positive).

Below speakers are connected, in place, bolted down and working perfectly.

Everything put back into place, connected and checking it out. Sounds great. I am going to talk the rears as well at some time.

I did reconnect the original teeters.
Here are the speakers I used for this project. Focal Access 130AC. Definitely worth it.

I tried to attach finished video but its over the limit. It was well worth spending the extra $$$ on these speakers. I am very impressed. It really was not that big a job, it took about 5 hours in total but, most was setting things up, creating the first template (remember to use tape that made life much more simple).
If anyone has questions feel free to email if I can help I will.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Would love to change out the front and rear on our 2010. I know i am hard of hearing but those things sound terrible. Wonder if these will fit the front on our 2010?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is my understanding that 2009 (or 2007) to 2017 are the same. I do know that a friend has the GL1500 and I gave him my speakers and they will fit in his front.
I am not sure what is in the rears, but, there is a 4" version of the Focal fronts installed. I know you will not be disappointed. I was going to hook up my DB meter but, it runs on 9v battery and did not have any handy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you do your back ones keep us updated please.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the speakers you chose and the mount system. My question is...do you need to cut the tweeter wire on the bike and mount it directly to tweeter on new speaker. I would think that Honda filtered out the bass and mid out of the tweeter wires and does not have it in the ones you plugged in to your speaker. I would believe the Focal tweeter would be much better than the factory Honda. Thoughts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
It is my understanding that 2009 (or 2007) to 2017 are the same. I do know that a friend has the GL1500 and I gave him my speakers and they will fit in his front.
I am not sure what is in the rears, but, there is a 4" version of the Focal fronts installed. I know you will not be disappointed. I was going to hook up my DB meter but, it runs on 9v battery and did not have any handy.
2006-2017 are the same. 2006 is when Premium Audio became available and the vents below the speakers went away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the speakers you chose and the mount system. My question is...do you need to cut the tweeter wire on the bike and mount it directly to tweeter on new speaker. I would think that Honda filtered out the bass and mid out of the tweeter wires and does not have it in the ones you plugged in to your speaker. I would believe the Focal tweeter would be much better than the factory Honda. Thoughts
I left the original tweeter in place and hooked up. They are both working wired separately and the Focals are through the one terminal setting on the back. I cannot believe the actual wide range differences I am hearing in the music now compared to previous.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2006-2017 are the same. 2006 is when Premium Audio became available and the vents below the speakers went away.
Thanks for the update William. Hopefully this helps other to making a decision that other speakers are available if you want to spend the time and of course a few more dollars. Now going to check out the rears and see what I can do in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts