GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have had a few ask me how I made a few changes to my 2012 wing so I put together a quick and dirty webpage with some photos and text.

This is for HID lights, AUX tank, Zumo mount and navi modification to use while moving.

http://www.gregrice.com/2012/web/wing1.html

Hiya
Well i have to say i have never seen a aux petrol tank, where do you go that you need so much fuel?

I have had 8 GL1800,s done all kinds of mods to them over the last 10 years but never seen that?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya
Well i have to say i have never seen a aux petrol tank, where do you go that you need so much fuel?

I have had 8 GL1800,s done all kinds of mods to them over the last 10 years but never seen that?
I do a lot of multi day rally's like the IBR 11 days 11,000 miles. I also ride between 40,000 and 50,000 miles a year. Having the extra fuel really makes a difference especially out in the western states.

By the way I have 6 wings, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2012 and I put an AUX tank on all of them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do a lot of multi day rally's like the IBR 11 days 11,000 miles. I also ride between 40,000 and 50,000 miles a year. Having the extra fuel really makes a difference especially out in the western states.

By the way I have 6 wings, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2012 and I put an AUX tank on all of them.
Interesting, i would like to see some pictures of your fleet, do you have to ride without passing petrol stations? I also ride BMW GS R1200 adventure and they have a 33lts fuel tank that gives me a range of about 400miles but 325 in reality.

What milage can you cover with your two tanks? I bet you get some questions like the moonshine one made me smile:thumb up:

Ride Safe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Greg,

Does your navi mod allow you to both aim the headlights and adjust suspension on the fly ? To me that would be the trifecta ( Navi, lights and preload).
Does the switch need to be rated for a wattage or amperage to avoid smoking ?

Finally, Do dealers hassle you over your mods when you need warranty service work while traveling on the road ?

Sweat setup,
Mark H.
PS
I'm voting cathadre (spelling) down the pant leg. Therefore, no bladder pit stops.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Greg,

Does your navi mod allow you to both aim the headlights and adjust suspension on the fly ? To me that would be the trifecta ( Navi, lights and preload).

Finally, Do dealers hassle you over your mods when you need warranty service work while traveling on the road ?

Sweat setup,
Mark H.
PS
I'm voting cathadre (spelling) down the pant leg. Therefore, no bladder pit stops.
No you can not adjust the headlight or suspension. There must be some other way it knows you are moving. I am looking into it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Greg,

I tested my mod before installing the switch by riding with 2 bare wire ends ( no switch) riding around my comlex ... I did not feel any current or heat so I don't think a heavy switch is needed.... I am no expert so time will tell ... here is the Radio Shack i am using ...
SPST Rocker Switch (Black)
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523&numProdsPerPage=60

You could have a hassle if they can point to a mod that could have an impact on the issue you are having.

In the event I ever needed NAVI warranty work I did my navi mod using plug connections so I could unplug the wires going to the switch and plug the wires I am interupting back together... tape it up and it is OEM.

I love being able to use this GPS instead of having to mount my zummo. Being able to plan routes on the computer to upload and this while moving mod makes it perfect. Just did my mod tonight and it works great.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Greg,

Sweat setup,
Mark H.
PS
I have only been to the dealer for warranty work twice in 9 years with the 6 gold wings that I have owned. I do go by my dealer a lot and they all come out and look and talk about the mods. My 2009 trade was on the floor with the navi mod and AUX tank plumbing for sale. The dealer did not remove the mod.

·
Registered
23 Posts
aux fuel tank

I have only been to the dealer for warranty work twice in 9 years with the 6 gold wings that I have owned. I do go by my dealer a lot and they all come out and look and talk about the mods. My 2009 trade was on the floor with the navi mod and AUX tank plumbing for sale. The dealer did not remove the mod.
very nice mod......one question...were do you put the passenger/wife?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
very nice mod......one question...were do you put the passenger/wife?
The AUX tank is setup with fast easy removal. I have a quick disconnect on the fuel line and cut a piece of pipe in half and had a hinge welded on it to make a clam shell like mount for the passenger handles. I can remove the tank in minutes. Here is another link with more information.

http://www.gregrice.com/rallys/2013ibr/2013ibrwing.html

·
Banned
2,608 Posts
I have a Zumo, and I think I remember the instructions saying to mount the puck 3 ft away from the unit. I didn't get that far, but I did put it about 2 ft away, inside of the fairing. It never has a problem picking up the signal.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a Zumo, and I think I remember the instructions saying to mount the puck 3 ft away from the unit. I didn't get that far, but I did put it about 2 ft away, inside of the fairing. It never has a problem picking up the signal.
I have always had my XM radio puck right next to the Zumo 665, even my Zumo 550, and never had an issue.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I believe that the 2012, 2013 and perhaps the 2014's as well, are a bit different than prior years.

The pictures here, show where and how I installed my Radio Shack P/N 275-730 Navigation Interrupt Switch.

I also have the BikeMP3 Navigation Auto Enter Module installed. The combination of these two items actually make the Navigation unit work reasonably well.

Also: I'm a firm believer in soldering and then using heat shrink on all connections.

Oh, and I also put junctions at the W/B wire splices under the seat. I did that so I can bypass my Interupt Switch if need be . . . sorry not all that much faith in the high dollar Radio Shack switch . . . although so far, so good.

View attachment 125417 View attachment 125425 View attachment 125433 View attachment 125441 View attachment 125449

1 - 17 of 17 Posts