GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2012 audio speakers are the same as earlier models '06 up to '10? Just wondering if Honda changed the speakers on the 2012 models! My 2012 audio sounds pretty good, but just wondering also if there might be a better alternative. I replaced my '08 speakers with J&M's and the sound was better!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do not know if the speakers were better in prior models but I did not care for the ones in the 2012 and I replaced them. The ones that came out had very small magnets. I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk marine speakers and a much larger amp that got mounted in the side of the trunk. Major difference in sound and amount of volume available. I did not replace the seperate front tweeters, just went with coaxal speakers. I will caution you though that the speaker are not as black as original and the tweeter that says polk reads upside down but you have to be looking to see both of those things thru the front oem grills. The rear speakers you cannot see anything and i think they mounted right side up.

Stereo is a major improvement and worth it. I had install done a local stereo store as well as I did a GPS overide switch to use while moving. I used a marine switch to toggle that off and on.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not know if the 2012 speakers were better than before I replaced them. The ones that came out had very small magnets. I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk marine speakers and a much larger amp that go mounted in the side of the trunk. Major difference in sound and amount of volume available. I did not replace with seperate front tweeters. I will caution you though that the speaker are not as black as original and the tweeter that says polk reads upside down but you have to be looking to see both of those things thru the front oem grills. teh backs you cannot see anything and i thingk they mounted right side up.

Major improvement and worth it. I had install done a local stereo store as well as I did a GPS overide switch to use while moving. I used a marine switch to toggle that off and on.
What are the steps to do the GPS Override???

·
Vendor
21,871 Posts
What are the steps to do the GPS Override???
My guess is that he put a switch on the speedo signal wire that goes to the Nav unit in the trunk so he can enable and disable the speedo signal to it, which makes the buttons function when moving. I did this to my 09 and it worked well, though I haven't yet verified if it works on the 2012.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another speaker question

On relatively buggy days, I find that the front speaker grills get bugs (and other particulate). I know that these grills can come out, but I have failed to figure out how. Anyway got any details on how to remove the grills?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My guess is that he put a switch on the speedo signal wire that goes to the Nav unit in the trunk so he can enable and disable the speedo signal to it, which makes the buttons function when moving. I did this to my 09 and it worked well, though I haven't yet verified if it works on the 2012.
It does work ... here is the location of the WHITE WIRE WITH A SOLID BLACK STRIPE

then locate switch where you like and connect

SWITCH - - - > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

1 - 7 of 7 Posts