GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and also new to Goldwings. Just purchased a 2012. Every since I've bought it, when I don't have the audio on, there appears to be a rattle in the rear speaker when I hit a bump in the road. Do you think the speaker inside could be loose? Do any of you hear that on the other models like 2006-2010s?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Trunks tend to rattle on the older ones. Might be the same thing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
It's the trunk hinges. Get a few small pieces of dense foam weather strip with adhesive backing and place it on hinge bases right where hinges folds down and you won't hear any more rattling. Might also want to insert some vacuum hose or fish tank air line tubing into the trunk lid seal to prevent the trunk lid from chaffing and squeaking on trunk body. All the GL1800's have the same problem.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am new to this forum and also new to Goldwings. Just purchased a 2012. Every since I've bought it, when I don't have the audio on, there appears to be a rattle in the rear speaker when I hit a bump in the road. Do you think the speaker inside could be loose? Do any of you hear that on the other models like 2006-2010s?

I did the hose in the trunk seal and the felt stick on bumper pads. Still had rattle. I finally found the rattle to be coming from the rear storage compartment doors. Foam on them took care of the rattle.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The vibration also causes chafing on trunk lid tabs. I used the fuzzy side of velcro on my new 2010,put it on insde lip of lid where trunk tabs meet. 8k miles on her and no chafing. cheap fix from the other gizmos out there. If you haven't done it yet, you should. I've seen some ugly wear on trunk from lid chafing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Auto parts stores, dealerships and stereo stores sell anti-noise or anti-vibration tape. It has felt on one side and two sided tape on the other. You can also get small sheets of this and you can cut it to the shape you want. Works great and it even works on handlebars to dampen some vibration on things like Ram mounts.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I did the hose in the trunk seal and the felt stick on bumper pads. Still had rattle. I finally found the rattle to be coming from the rear storage compartment doors. Foam on them took care of the rattle.
Thanks for finding this out - I have been hearing that rattle for some time. Did the plastic hose inside the trunk etc, but still a rattle. Gives me something to do today. :popcorn:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use 7mm (5/16) hose slid through the opening in the trunk gasket. Works for me just with I would have found out about it sooner.

·
Registered
247 Posts
you paid how many thousand dollars for this bike. take it back to the dealer and let him do the job he should do. and find the rattle for you. if it was a new honda car you would take it back

·
Registered
522 Posts
Any update???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts