GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
from an ex sport bike guy. my last ride was simply to just get home fromm the dealership with a big bike I had no experience with or new nothing about. so this morning i rode back to the dealer in st aug and back to jacksonville, both interstate and scenic along the beach. one think i had hoped for was to be able to ride w/o earplugs and I thought i'd done it, except my ears are satill ringing after 30 minutes rest. I haave always worn good gear at all time but i was forced to lolck my leather coat in the trunk becaue i just don't get enmolugh air flow for the heat (91). the fron suspension is harsh. i feel all the bumps and the lane deflectors feel like logs in the road. my bandit i traded had racetec springs and gold valves--it was smoothe as glass and always firmly planted. the radio sounds good below 50 but at speed, it sounds like the speakers are over driven. i've never had a radio before so this may be common. i musat also keep the face shield open on my full face helmet to hear the radio. i've not worn an open face helmet in more than 30 years but i may have to for the radio. the bike rides smoothe and has plenty of power, even after coming off 135hp bandit. turns/leans must be under power as it felt like the front would tuck. that's my thoughts with 175 total miles ridden. i'm sure my style will adjust to the bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can ride without earplugs and it's fairly quiet, but the ambient noise is what gets you.. and especially from passing vehicles, the tire noise can be very loud. Hearing loss is gradual and not reversible, so I always wear earplugs. With my full face helmet, I keep the shield open about an inch and enjoy the music.. riding around town at city streets speed limits, I find no need for earplugs and I keep the music around level 10. The AVC doesn't kick in until you get to highway speeds, and btw, the 2012 has a separate amplifier outside of the radio unit in the trunk, that's situated behind the rear wheels in the wheel well, and if you set your AVC on High, that sucker is mighty loud at highway speeds through the dash speakers.

The front end is harsh, I ended up doing the Traxxion suspension and the harshness is gone.. With the stock suspension, the palms of my hands were getting tender as I was riding in an area with lots and lots of cracks and frost heave in the road.

Unfortunately, the Traxxion upgrade is not cheap and it's not DIY, but since the bike is a long term keeper*, I figured I might as well do it now than later and then wish I had done it years ago..

*I've owned 10 or 11 bikes in the last 10 years and I've told my wife "this one's a keeper" for everyone of them and I did believe that at the time, but the Goldwing has been a revelation in touring comfort and dare I say it, "sportiness".. :thumbup:

·
Registered
20,009 Posts
kitesurfer, there is indeed an adjustment that is required in turns on a bigger bike, although it will feel just as natural as your smaller bike in no time. It takes much less lean on a bike this size to get it to turn in.

Audio on a bike is something that can't be described. You have to experience it for yourself. It isn't like getting in a car and hitting the power switch. You will develop your own preference over time. Wind noise and road noise have to be dealt with, and you are going to re-evaluate the quality of your helmet with regards to noise as well. Some people love the external speakers. Some people prefer headsets. It's great to have a choice. Some people don't care about music on a bike, instead just using the intercom. Personally, I love my stereo and mp3 player around town, but turn it off at speeds above 60mph and just enjoy the ride. The noise on a bike is just too much.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I agree that the earlier Wings didn't have great audio above 50mph on the 01-05. Much improved with the premium.

I doubt the OP was talking about the 2012 Wing.

If so, something is drastically wrong!

He didn't have it set up properly. Make sure it is not in mute mode. The set bass and treble to almost max. and have surround sound and AVC set to max.

Use an IPod or memory stick.

Believe me, it will blow you away along with everyone else within a block.

That thing will put out like you wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yes, front suspensions seems harsh on my new 2012 too. Speakers distort at highway speeds (65 mph +). On the other hand, I like the stable ride and easy turn in. I don't get any feeling the front ends wants to tuck--but I don't ride very fast either. Try this, take the bike on a nice looong ride with someone you love, then see how you like it. :doorag:

·
Registered
528 Posts
If you really hate how hard the bike rides, try the Airhawk seat cushion. For me it made a world of difference, as long as you are tall enough that you can inflate the cushion and still stand flat footed. As far as the radio, check the instruction to make sure it's set correctly. Some settings severely effect the sound at speed and the 2012 should have plenty of power to provide good volume well over 75 MPH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts