GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it looks like the Bushtec has a longer receiver but is relatively hidden.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/272_trailer_hitches_racks/33241_2012_gl1800_gold_wing_trailer_hitch/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F272_goldwing_trailer_hitches_racks%2Fdes%2F

With the Rivco you have to cut the fender but it looks like it might be a stronger design and it's chrome which will stand out.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...l1800/272_goldwing_trailer_hitches_racks/des/

Suggestions ? Which one would you use ?

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
NO HOLE! Then if you have a drive train issue, you can remove the hitch before taking bike to dealer and leave no evidence it was there.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I am confident both are just fine and will perfom as needed and expected.

Personal preference for you...want to make a hole in the fender or not?

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,791 Posts
Both the Rivco and the Bushtec are quialty trailer hitches....but I never liked the idea of cutting a hole in the rear center section. At least with the older models there was a refector to cover the hole if you don't want the hitch to show, but with the 2012, once you cut the hole there is nothing to hide the hole. I think the Bushtec hitch is the better way to go with the 2012 model.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I use my Bushtec V2, with the updated Bushtec hitch pin head on my 2012, pulls great, no problems.

·
Registered
863 Posts
mack, did you install the hitch yourself? seeing how i have not even taken the seat off my bike yet, i'm thinking this install might be difficult for me. is there a GOLDWING INSTALLER GURU that people in Fla go to, or just use a dealer?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I'm sticking with the Rivco due to the weight savings. I haven't weighed the Buchtec, but Rivco claims their hitch only weighs 8 pounds. Cutting a hole for the ball mount is no big deal. I don't rely on a dealer for service.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Problem is that the farther the hitch point is from where the bike rear tire touches the ground, the less stable the rig is.

It bothers me that riders are more concerned about whether they see the hitch mount or not than they are about their safety.

Len got a new 2012 and we are wrestling with what to do for his hitch right now. He has a Rivco from his 01. I believe the best solution is going to be to use a 6 inch drop from the 01-to 10 series and buy a second rear fender which will be modified to clear the hitch coupler and ball. This moves the hitch point back to existing 01 thru 10 models and will produce a modified rear fender of some sort. Jackknife angles will be reduced somewhat which means more careful backing but will have no effect on pulling over the earlier bikes.

We will post photos.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kitesurfer, yea I installed myself , not my first, easy if you take time. PM me .

·
Registered
88 Posts
NO HOLE! Then if you have a drive train issue, you can remove the hitch before taking bike to dealer and leave no evidence it was there.
I don't understand, why would you care if the dealer saw that you had a hitch or not. Are you saying that the dealer or Honda, believe that a trailer hitch can cause drivetrain damage? Has anybody ever been denied drivetrain warranty repairs due to the fact they had a hitch installed? Not saying it hasn't happened, just seems odd to me. Can't see how the hitch relates to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I don't understand, why would you care if the dealer saw that you had a hitch or not. Are you saying that the dealer or Honda, believe that a trailer hitch can cause drivetrain damage? Has anybody ever been denied drivetrain warranty repairs due to the fact they had a hitch installed? Not saying it hasn't happened, just seems odd to me. Can't see how the hitch relates to the drivetrain.
My hitch was installed by the dealer before delivery, and was on the purchase contract. I'd hate to have to remove it every time I need tires!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Where do the saftey chain connect?

On the RIVCO, there are holes on the underside of the main hitch plate. The trailer I have came with chains, no hooks. I ended up using ones like on this link. Amazingly, I just happened to have two that fit the chain and the holes on the hitch in my "spare crap box" in my garage.

You could also use one of those chain links that have one side that screw open and close. That would work fine too.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/459579528/DIN5299C_snap_hooks.html

·
Registered
863 Posts
a shackel with a clevis pin.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Can anyone tell me how much farther back the ball will be located on a 2012 compared to the earlier models? I assume they measure from center of the axle to the center of the ball?

so anyone have access to measure this distance on the earlier models?
Much more limiting, is there any one with a 12 that has a hitch installed to obtain the same measurment?

How much the differance affects things I'd have to weigh on Tom to explain. I wouldnt have a clue how much half an inch or inch and a half might make.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I bought the Bushtec and installed it Sunday.

But as per my "Pothole" thread my bike is in the shop or I would take measurements for you.

Sorry.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Problem is that the farther the hitch point is from where the bike rear tire touches the ground, the less stable the rig is.
Tom, this makes perfect sense. So, with that said, which one has the hitch point closest to the contact patch? Bushtec or Rivco. I have only had Bushtec hitches but would have no issue with a hole for the Rivco.

·
Registered
863 Posts
DO INSTRUCTIONS come with the bushtec to iinstall on the 12? if so are they complete step by step for someone who has never tinkered with a wing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DO INSTRUCTIONS come with the bushtec to iinstall on the 12? if so are they complete step by step for someone who has never tinkered with a wing?
Yes they do come with complete instructions. No pics but if you use the guide from another thread for the 2001-2010 you can get through it if you take your time.

Now the instructions for the Isolator that comes with the kit. LOL.... what a joke. It's for the 2012 but it is missing several steps.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts