GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying really hard to abandon my Zumo for the built in Honda Nav on the 2014, but I seem to be having what could be a deal breaker issue for me with the track log.

It seems like if I allow the track log to go to 100%, I will be missing the last track each time as it writes the logs to the archive on the SD card. Have any others experienced the same, and what have you done to work around it?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Change the Card...

I’m trying really hard to abandon my Zumo for the built in Honda Nav on the 2014, but I seem to be having what could be a deal breaker issue for me with the track log.

It seems like if I allow the track log to go to 100%, I will be missing the last track each time as it writes the logs to the archive on the SD card. Have any others experienced the same, and what have you done to work around it?

Get a 8GB, Class 10 card and format it to "FAT32" and try that. Once the card gets full, it WILL overwrite the first track..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get a 8GB, Class 10 card and format it to "FAT32" and try that. Once the card gets full, it WILL overwrite the first track..
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The card is nowhere near full and it is the original Honda supplied trip planner card. The bike creates a track log each time the key is turned off. This track file saves to internal memory (not the card). As the internal memory fills the percentage approaches 100%. At any point, you can select one of these track logs stored in internal memory and export it to the card. When the internal memory gets to 100%, it saves the track logs to the SD and resets the internal memory to 0.

My issue is that whatever trip (ignition cycle) I’m on when it reaches 100% is lost at this time. It doesn’t seem to matter if that trip is 10 miles or 150, you lose the whole track. That’s what I’m trying to get around. Of course after the reset to 0, it all works fine again until it nears 100% again.

I also noticed that when I first turn on the GPS after the 100% trip it prompts me that there are new track logs and I can import them. I assume this is because the GPS created a new .gpx file on the SD card.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Unfortunate, but this really seems like a software 'bug/feature' (depends on who you'd talk to) and it was set up this way on purpose. It's difficult to tell if this is some artifact from the way a stand-alone automotive GPS would handle this.

If it's going to save a track log...save *all* of it. I'll edit out off-line what I don't need, I guess.

The 'work-around' sucks even worse. You did a day of riding, and are done. Before you shut down for the day, let's just take the contents of the track_log (all of it) and save this. Think you can do this in *one* step?

NoooOOOoooo! It wants you to save every individual segment of the track_log - and you have to rename each and every segment of the log (it's actually a track when saved) to do so!

You do get to pick what to save, but how d'ya know which was the good scenic section from 500 miles ago?

Argh!

So, I do have daily routes set up for my upcoming ride. Easy to pull up, but sure would be nice to have been able to dump yesterday's 600+ miles of riding as a single entry in the log_file, wipe it clean, load today's route and go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts