GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at the dealer on Monday and took a look at a 2012 in blue, very nice bike, not sure I like the back though.

Honda needs to redesign the trunk and the saddle bags so they look like they belong together.

No test rides, the one an only 2012 that they had was already sold.
Said he'd have a red one next week.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Had a my 709 put on and I was looking at the new 2012 also...Not sure if I like all the control buttons so low on the left side..Seemed way to low..Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree about the buttons, but the salesman did say everything to do with the radio could be controlled by the left handle bar switches.
Not sure, the bike was sold, so I couldn't play around with it.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can not control the Intercom from the handlebar, must use the buttons/switches on the lower left.
Sales guy claims you can.
He said everything to do with the radio could now be controlled from the handle bar switches.
Like I said, the bike was sold, so I couldn't mess around with it.
Maybe one of the owners of a new one can clear this up.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You can not control the Intercom from the handlebar, must use the buttons/switches on the lower left.
What do you need to control on the intercom going down the road. If my wife isn't with me (not often) I turn it off before starting out. When she's with me, I turn it on before starting out. Other than that, it's not been fooled with in over four years.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You must use the buttons on the left to switch back and forth between radio and ipod, to turn the intercom on or off, to turn the navigation sound on and off. And also to turn the audio system off.
The handle bar controls are only for volume adjustment and tuning radio stations & changinging songs on your ipod & for CD players. The CB controls are still there also for those that want a CB.
And yes I own a 2012

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Hows about commenting on the important stuff, like the updated suspension and tires? I couldn't care less about position of buttons and saddlebag cosmetics. :shrug:

·
Registered
479 Posts
What do you need to control on the intercom going down the road. If my wife isn't with me (not often) I turn it off before starting out. When she's with me, I turn it on before starting out. Other than that, it's not been fooled with in over four years.
If you want to adjust the intercom Mute volume for instance because wind interferance you must use the buttons on the knobs on the left side to do so.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I have a 2007 air bagger so the buttons are like the 2012 model. You get used of the lower control positions. I have fewer problems operating those buttons then the ones on the center of the wing

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hows about commenting on the important stuff, like the updated suspension and tires? I couldn't care less about position of buttons and saddlebag cosmetics. :shrug:
The suspension is great, on my 07 I had the preload set at 25 at all times riding 1 or 2 up. Now I keep it at 16 all the time and hardly ever drag my pegs. Also so far I have 1300mi on the bike and there is no sign of front end wobble.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I too have a 2012. I think the suspension seems a bit stiff (preload set at 10), but the bike seems light and nimble, corners just great, for some reason I just feel more comfortable in the corners. Front tire is a Stone G709, rear is a Stone G704. I haven't noticed the slightest wobble at any speed so far.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John,
Which dealer? Did they actually have a knowledgeable sales person?
Bill
Bay Cycle,( Bay City) don't know if the guy knows anything at all. :shrug:
He claims to though. :lol::lol::lol:.
Not too many Honda dealers that know much about the Goldwings, unless the salesman owns one himself.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Stopped at the dealer on Monday and took a look at a 2012 in blue, very nice bike, not sure I like the back though.

Honda needs to redesign the trunk and the saddle bags so they look like they belong together.
Wait and watch for the 2013 model Goldwing.............:thumbup:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Saw my first 2012 in person today in a showroom, not on the road.

Bags look bigger for sure.

Front and sides look very nice to me, and I like the paint scheme, but the rear looks cheap and the trunk looking like an after thought.

Setting on it, I'm looking at a whole lot of plastic especially with the buttons moved down to the lower left.

I didn't see anything that would keep me from buying one if I were in the market for a GoldWing, nor did I see anything that made me want one.

I think it looks better in pictures than in person, but that's just me, looking at it on a showroom floor. The salesman didn't know much about GoldWings and was telling me my 2005 Trike has a lot of miles on it (48K)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Lets get back to are roots. The original goldwing with the type 1 and type 2 radios no one had a problem. Rest your left hand on your knee and the buttons worked fine, your peripheral vision extends to the sides. I came from an 81 Wing straight to an 06 Airbagger I could not be happier with the setup. Give it a chance, it is pretty slick to leave your arm out on that side not far from your grip.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts