GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really trying to keep my 3rd Wing nice, clean, and simple. The new NAV system lets you upload routes and favorites and that is a huge step in making this system usable to me vs attaching and wiring in my zumo. I am finding it pretty easy to use and finding by using it I am liking it more and more.

But, not that I want to be planning trips while I am riding down the road or anything there are times I want to access the GPS and it won't let me .... so, what is the easiest way to to make it accessable while underway?

I've seen references to pre-2012 bikes on doing this but not sure if it is the same on the 2012 ... would be nice to have 2012 specific instructions not only for myself but others that may be interested.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yep

:agree::agree:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Joeker... Ya tell me something...please tell me you were not on that yellow wing when that happened!! And what did happen to it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
There's no way to defeat this. The lawyers won out on this one. There's a company that does auto audio/gps unlocks, and they have nothing for Honda.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no way to defeat this. The lawyers won out on this one. There's a company that does auto audio/gps unlocks, and they have nothing for Honda.
It can be done as others on the board have done it on the wing but I have not found any 2012 specific instructions. Before I use the pre-2012 instructions on the board and figure it out I'd rather have info from someone that has done it on the 2012 ... I don't want to be a pioneer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am very interested in this as well... I'll bE keeping an eye on this thread.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've got a Garmin 660 on the left handlebar so I can use it on the go.. if I can unlock the bike's GPS for use while riding, I won't have a need to have a second GPS on the bike..

if anyone finds out how to do it, please post a few pics here :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm sure no one here will be as stupid as I was 06-23-2010 while traveling through Bethel, VT and trying to find Port Henry, NY on my Zumo 660. I was leading 4 buddies and frustrated that I kept missing intersections that I thought would be there according to Rand McNally, the rest of the story is just an excuse.

Anyway, as I was trying to locate Port Henry with my fore finger, while traveling around 30 mph, something came into my forward periphial vision. It was a Ford Taurus stopped ahead of me waiting to make a left turn. I ran out of opportunity and crashed into the Taurus' rear bumper at around 12-15 mph, I estimate.

Ambulance ride on backboard-$1500,

Damage to bike-$6000

Wounded pride-Pricele$$

First crash on a motorcycle in 40 years and over 250,000 miles

If you need to use the keypad on a gps, stop and make the entry.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I could see that one coming :(

While riding, I usually hit the Fuel icon and see where the nearest gas stations are when traveling in unfamiliar roads, to know if if I should fill up now even though I still have half a tank or there's more stations in the direction I'm traveling.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't do anything on the GPS any more destracting than using the radio... really no difference. Never take your eyes off the road longer than your surroundings can safely allow. Being able to initiate the GPS underway after I forgot when I started, being able to cancel a route while underway if I change my mind, being able to press destination then home .... all simple functions no more destracting than changing radio bands / stations / MP3s / songs ... wouldn't mess with the radio either if my surroundings were congested, curvey roads, upcoming intersections, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
:agree:

Exactly. You can kill yourself just as easily looking at a sign, talking to the person next to you (in a car), changing the radio station, looking at the speedo, etc.

Take your eyes off the road for more than 3-4 seconds doing anything and you are at risk.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you need to use the keypad on a gps, stop and make the entry.[/QUOTE]

:agree:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Which begs the question, why is it not voice activated for $2,000?
Oh here we go. Now we're going to be hearing "it's not voice activated" for the next few years.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Oh here we go. Now we're going to be hearing "it's not voice activated" for the next few years.

The reality is, this technology comes from Garmin, which offers voice activated GPS systems for as low as $329.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-N...ated-GPS-with-Lifetime-Map-Updates-P2560.aspx

We are paying $2,000 for the luxury of a GPS by Garmin with less features than what you can get for under $400. Facts are facts. You can even get unlimited maps included in the price of most new GPS units.

If ever there was an application for voice activation, a motorcycle GPS would be it. I am not sure it is much safer to pull off on the shoulder of a busy freeway to fiddle with a GPS than it is to tinker with it while going down the road.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts