GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to info I got from others... and to be able to share with all who may be interested under a properly titled thread so it is easy to find ....here is some info on how to switch off the speed sensor so you can use the GPS while moving on the 2012.

The fact you can plan routes on your computer and upload on the 2012 GPS and with this mod be able to make minor entries on the move makes the 2012 GPS pretty functional. Love not having to mount and maintain a portable GPS.

Turn the switch to off and the GPS will stop tracking but you will be able to interact with the GPS controls .. when done turn the switch back on and the GPS will start tracking again.

Do and use at your own risk :)

here is the location of the WHITE WIRE WITH A SOLID BLACK STRIPE

then locate switch where you like and connect

SWITCH - - - > http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062523

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't make it too easy. :22yikes: I am out now but I wll fix it later tonight

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Glad to hear it, thanks for posting this info. This worked the same way on my 09, and it really was nice to be able to use the buttons occasionally, like when I forgot to acknowledge the disclaimer.

The only quirk I saw on the 09, was you had to wait about 3 seconds after you shut off the speedo signal before you tried to use any buttons, and you had to remember to turn it back on, or the GPS position will stay frozen.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures should show ok now ... let me know if they don't

Fred you are correct ...... it takes a few seconds after flipping the switch.... same as if you stopped the bike.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
That wire goes through a connector near the relay box, and I spent nearly 2 hours last night in the garage trying to figure out how to unlock the pins so I could extract it from the connector, with no luck. I had hopes of being able to do it without cutting the wire, but unless I find the magic secret to release the pins, I'm outta luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That wire goes through a connector near the relay box, and I spent nearly 2 hours last night in the garage trying to figure out how to unlock the pins so I could extract it from the connector, with no luck. I had hopes of being able to do it without cutting the wire, but unless I find the magic secret to release the pins, I'm outta luck.
Cut it... LOL ...... as you can see in the picture I did mine so I could plug the cut wire back together to return to OEM if needed.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Hi Joker, I'm interested in this mod but guess I'm a little slow today and don't fully understand the procedure. Are you mounting the switch so that it is accessible while riding? Then is switching it off allowing you to work with the Nav and then turning it back on? What are you connecting the switch to? What does Fred's switch (picture) have to do with this? Sorry for all the questions.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Joker, I'm interested in this mod but guess I'm a little slow today and don't fully understand the procedure. Are you mounting the switch so that it is accessible while riding? Then is switching it off allowing you to work with the Nav and then turning it back on? What are you connecting the switch to? What does Fred's switch (picture) have to do with this? Sorry for all the questions.
Yes - clicking the switch to OFF breaks the speed sensor so the bike thinks you are stopped ... it takes 2 or 3 seconds after turning it to off ... just like it does when you actually stop the bike.

While off you can do all the things you can do if the bike is actually stopped.

When off - the GPS does not track, that is why you cannot just cut the wire and leave it that way. After you turn the switch back on it starts tracking again.

I mounted the switch on the side of the panel where the GPS display is... I'll take a picture and add it.

As you can see, I cut the wire ... then I put a plug on each end.

At the switch I added wire with the same type plugs.

Then I ran a wire, again with plugs on both ends, from under the seat to the front of the bike where the switch is mounted.

You could just twist the wires together if you like but I used the plugs... that way i can plug the cut wire back together if I ever needed to. And it is easier to install the switch then plug it in ... plus if you need to remove the panel covering the GPS display area you can unplug the switch.

What Fred was doing is trying to tap into the same wire at a connector to avoid cutting the wire.

Here is my switch location ... added to instructions above too

·
Registered
820 Posts
Great, Joker. That all makes sense; I'll gitter done this weekend.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great, Joker. That all makes sense; I'll gitter done this weekend.
I see in your signature it says ...

2012 Option IV, Russellville, OK, 4 August 2011

Isn't Russellville in Arkansas? That is where I got mine on Aug 19 .... they were great to deal with ...... or is there a Russellville OK too.. I about got heat stroke riding home that day so no telling what state i was in.

·
Registered
820 Posts
LOL, you're the only one to catch that. I had originally contracted with Russellville, AR but they couldn't give me a delivery date. They let me out of the contract and I got mine in SHAWNEE, OK. Thanks for catching that; I'll correct it. BTW; there's also a Russellville, Kansas.

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
Fred...I think you straighten a paper clip and put it in the little slot above the pin.
Tried that. No dice. I even made some of my own extraction tools. I just refuses to release. Now I'm wondering if they push forward out the front instead of pulling out the back.

I gave up on it, and put it back together so I could ride the bike for a while. I may revisit it later.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tried that. No dice. I even made some of my own extraction tools. I just refuses to release. Now I'm wondering if they push forward out the front instead of pulling out the back.

I gave up on it, and put it back together so I could ride the bike for a while. I may revisit it later.
This is the only tool you need LOL

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am curious about something, and whether it has been tested.

If you are riding and the cruise control is ON, and you break the speed sensor with the switch, will it affect the cruise control? Will the bike rocket forward trying to reach the SET speed on the cruise control?

I'd be leery of cutting a speed sensor while riding, without knowing exactly what it affects!

·
Vendor
21,876 Posts
I am curious about something, and whether it has been tested.

If you are riding and the cruise control is ON, and you break the speed sensor with the switch, will it affect the cruise control? Will the bike rocket forward trying to reach the SET speed on the cruise control?

I'd be leery of cutting a speed sensor while riding, without knowing exactly what it affects!
No, not if you cut the wire at the place JokerGuy shows. The speedo signal goes to several locations throughout the bike. For example, it goes to the ECU for fuel metering calculations, the cruise control for cruise, the audio unit for autovolume functions, the turn signals for turn signal cancellation, the meter panel for speedo indicator and to the GPS.

The idea is to cut the speedo signal feed that goes to the GPS, and ONLY the one to the GPS, so it doesn't impact any other functions of the bike.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just read the artical on the 2012 Gold Wing in the Nov/Dec Issue of RoadBike Motorcycle Cruising Magazine and the review talks about the navigation crash! They spoke to Honda and Honda said to remove the data SD card, start up the bike, and then reinsert the SD card when prompted to! The guy doing the review said it seemed to clear out all the glitches after doing this! Worth a try!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this mod to my bike and love it. I put the switch in a PVC coupling and mounted it in the left pocket with Velcro. This was to be temporary but I may leave it there since I seldom need access to it.

I just rode about 200 miles on the interstate and it muted the radio when I turned it off. I only did it once at higher speed. Not sure what the relation is with volume unless it related to AVC but I will try again tomorrow. I think I like that feature. I also like the ability to check weather.

Thanks guys for the tip.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny story ... I think the AWL below is still under the seat ... couldn't find it after I put the seat back on and I'd rather get beat with a whip than to take that seat back off and putz with getting it back on again.
I see why nurses count the insturments before sewing up after an operation.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts