GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a second test drive today and was trying to figure out if i really need the nav. model which i use on mine with occasion. They didnt have nav at three of the shops I visited today.
Sales guy said you can put a nice garmin on for $200 and a xm radio for $150 which can plug into the left pocket with a supplied plug??? I dont know if the plug is in there on the 2012 NON nav model???

Question is I dont want to listen to a sales guy so does anyone here have the answers to:
1. What is the best nav and bracket? besides factory $3k option!
2. Will it plug an play into the aux. plug in the left pocket for power? I know it wont work thru the bikes speaker/intercom system right?
3. what type of xm do you guys have? where does it mount?
4. will you be able to use the tune button to change stations on the 2012 model if you buy aftermarket xm ???
Note: I know also that you can plug into the trunk of the 2012 with a flash drive stick or mp3. and use the tune button on the left bar.

**second ride review 20 miles: Today was hot and i rode my 08 and the new one back to back. Also rode a new 2010 definite diff in the heat management from new fairings.
2. ride is plusher without jolts
3. seat is more comfy and sets you back a little more might not be much but it is better.
4. handling great.
5. noticed more intake sound on full throttle. something in there seems changed anyone know???
6. gotta find a fix for this glove box with no hinge!
Thanks in advance!!

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Some easy questions on the nav options

The Garmin zumo is a great unit, waterproof, and with the special antenna, also allows xm, besides the abitity to play mp3 files from an sd card, left handlebar is the normal spot for the gps

The Garmin gps will play all its sound into your speakers, or headsets, easily. The ONLY thing you need is a under $10, 1/8 inch stereo cord to run from the gps into the aux in plug, which is in the left pocket.

Dont be suckered in to buying a $200 special harness to do this, its a myth at best.

Power? there is a power tap in the left fairing area, that will power a gps easily, plus a 12 volt socket as well, These will switch off the gps at bike shutdown.

no the honda buttons will not tune the xm, but the touch screen on the zumo will

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
What is the best Nav option?

ANYTHING but the stock Honda installation, including (maybe) a three year old travel info center free map and a compass. While the GPS is serviceable and it is convenient to have mounted in the bike, its functionality versus its cost is way out of line.

You could buy an outstanding stand-alone GPS for about 1/5th the cost of the Honda/Garmin unit.

After market units now have free life-time updates and traffic info. Some of them cost less than the update.

Check the VERY extensive thread about updating the Honda/Garmin unit in the older bikes. Honda and Garmin have virtually walked away from the unit, which further limits its use. Their actions made a very good argument why one should never buy an integrated GPS in any vehicle.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Cant answer all your questions but.... I have a Garmin nuvi 1300 using a ram mount. I can here it over the little engine and wind noise with out a problem. It has traffic and course memory.
I was going to buy a NAVI Wing but talked myself out of it. Figured if the nav went on the fritz I would leave the bike in the shop for a couple days getting it fixed. If mine goes out I stop at Best Buy and get another.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You want ABS. It can save your life. Priceless.

Mark

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I bought my new '10 last fall, the DEALER, (who had both in stock!!) talked me out of the navigation model. I wanted ABS and would have been glad to pay for it, but the Nav/XM package was required and the DEALER told me the navigation was overpriced and hard to update, and that a lot of people were unhappy with 'em. Like I said, he had both sitting side by side and could just as easily have sold me the Nav model. I rode the bike without ABS and decided for the difference I could lve without it... I mounted a Garmin Nuvi 500 on mine and like it very well. Nav system with mounts cost me less than $250....

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
There is at least one positive feature of the Honda XM/Nav option. It is the recessed pocket the GPS resides in with a nice sunshade hood over it. I can read the Garmin in all light conditions which cannot be said for the aftermarket Garmin mounted on a handlebar.

The factory XM does not rely on FM transmission from XM box to factory radio for reception. Using the FM requires selecting a radio FM station for reception from the XM converter box but anytime you approach a large city you will find that FM station is already occupied which forces the rider to scan for an unused FM frequency then reset his XM box to that new frequency.

It is true that it is aggravating to be unable to start or program the factory GPS unless stopped but once you train yourself to always program it before rolling it is a good system.

I didn't want to pay the high price for the factory XM/NAV either but it sure is convenient.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Unless I wanted ABS the Honda NAV is OVERPRICED. Save the money and get a Zumo.
STOP READING INTO IT, I would prefer ABS and spent the money when I bought the 08. I have it on my current bike, a 2009 Kawasaki Concours. I am just saying that the Honda NAV would be collateral damage as a result of desiring ABS............

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wanted ABS so I had to get the package on my 2010. Have now traveled all across America and to Alaska with it. IMHO the built in NAV and XM are usless JUNK. I got a bar across handle bars with my Garmin zumo 550 and my XM mounted there and works fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
re

Although I have not used my gps alot, what complaints do you guys have with the factory units and do you think the 2012 unit will be any better?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
The ABS is what you want. If you have to take the GPS to get it, maybe look at the other bikes, such as the BMW K1600, or just eat the GPS, buy a good Zumo and let it go.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I rarely use the XM in favor of the CD player on my 07 and especially the memory stick on the 12.

Stereo on the 12 will knock your socks off with the surround sound if you have it set up right.

I love the weather mapping on the 12. Not happy with the lack of map details on the 12 vs. the 07. Guess all the aftermarket are the same way, though.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
There is at least one positive feature of the Honda XM/Nav option. It is the recessed pocket the GPS resides in with a nice sunshade hood over it. I can read the Garmin in all light conditions which cannot be said for the aftermarket Garmin mounted on a handlebar.

The factory XM does not rely on FM transmission from XM box to factory radio for reception. Using the FM requires selecting a radio FM station for reception from the XM converter box but anytime you approach a large city you will find that FM station is already occupied which forces the rider to scan for an unused FM frequency then reset his XM box to that new frequency..
So you can read the factory screen, big deal, its still not a gps, lets see a route from your computer, the correct speed, altitude, speed limit, or the other 25 features my actual gps has, not to mention my touch screen, ability to use while moving, or even turn on......

As far as your fm theory, not at all. The xm goes right into the aux in , and hasnt a thing to do with the fm stations at all. Unless of course it is actualy part of a real gps unit, then the entire unit plugs into the aux-in.

Its info like yours that confuses people, I was wondering where he got the notion the gps wouldnt be heard in his headsets or speakers.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I'm with those saying get ABS. Everyone will need ABS at some point. If not in an emergency situation, everybody needs it when? When they want to sell. ;)

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
You can't buy a lower model than an ABS bike in Canada. Myself, I wouldn't even look at a bike without ABS, no matter how good the price was! It could save your life one day, when you least expect it . . . . My next bike will have an airbag!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I have the Nav model Wing and I also own a Zumo 660. I like the GPS on the Wing and hate the 660. The 660 has lots of whiz bang features but has a moving map that sucks. I have an American Maps atlas that I purchased several year ago that shows most of the scenic routes in all the states. Having used it in 28 of those states, I'd have to agree that they did a very good job picking out those routes, everyone routes I've rode have indeed been scenic in one way or another.
On most of our trips, once we have hit the major highlights, we get up in the morning, check the atlas to see what scenic routes are available in the direction we intend to go that day, then hit the road. At that point all I need is the GPS to have a good moving map that will show and identify the road I'm on and the intersection of any road I intend to be on. The GPS on the Wing constantly shows the route number for the road you are on and route numbers for all the roads you are near. You can scale up and see the route numbers for roads miles ahead of you, so you know well in advance when to expect to turn on to another route. The 660 doesn't do that. It never tells you what route you are on and most of the time doesn't tell you what route you are intersecting with. Last year on our way back from Canada we decided to go down through eastern Maryland and cross the Bay bridge over to Norfolk, following several marked scenic routes. Since we were on the Harley, I was using the Zumo 660. 90% of the time I had to use road signs to find the intersections of the roads I wished to take, the routes numbers simply didn't show up on the 660, even major roads like US 50. I was about ready to throw the 660 into the Cheseapeake Bay. If you touch the screen of the 660, it moves you to a map the shows all those route numbers, including the route you are on, so I know the route numbers are in the programing, but that map is stationary and the bike icon travels right off it, you constantly have to drag the map with you finger to keep the icon centered. Not a really workabe solution when you are traveling for hours.
So, for those that want to plan every move you are going to make for the next ten or twelve days, the Zumo might work great but for us that like to go where the wind blows us, the built in Nav is a much better solution. In 28 states and 2 Canadain provences, it has never gotten me lost and it's always shown me when my next route change is coming up, something the Zumo almost never doesl

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
So you can read the factory screen, big deal, its still not a gps, lets see a route from your computer, the correct speed, altitude, speed limit, or the other 25 features my actual gps has, not to mention my touch screen, ability to use while moving, or even turn on......

As far as your fm theory, not at all. The xm goes right into the aux in , and hasnt a thing to do with the fm stations at all. Unless of course it is actualy part of a real gps unit, then the entire unit plugs into the aux-in.

Its info like yours that confuses people, I was wondering where he got the notion the gps wouldnt be heard in his headsets or speakers.
If the forum sponsor gives awards for ignorance, rudeness, and arrogance I'd like to nominate you. You would be an immediate winner. Do you feel compelled to disagree and insult everyone who posts something you don't like or agree with?

I currently own two other Garmin GPS units and have owned and used them in my truck since early in 2005. I am very familiar with the additional features they offer and also like to be able to touch the screen and read elevation and other handy bits of information but those are not essential. I consider being able to see the map and read info on my next and future turns and distance to turns when the sun is directly above or at my back much more important. I tried using a handlebar mounted Garmin unit on my previous ST-1300 and found I could often not see the screen map or read the instructions because of bright sunlight.

As far the aftermarket XM add-on, unless someone has found a harness to connect direct from the back of the XM or GPS unit to the Goldwing sound system that I am unaware of, the only way to get the signal into the motorcycle's system is via fm transmission.

A friend of mine just purchased a used Garmin from me, the one I tried to use on my ST, and used it on his '08 Wing on a trip we made to the east coast. He grumbled several times about the need to change FM frequencies everytime we passed through a large city.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
If the forum sponsor gives awards for ignorance, rudeness, and arrogance I'd like to nominate you. You would be an immediate winner. Do you feel compelled to disagree and insult everyone who posts something you don't like or agree with?

I currently own two other Garmin GPS units and have owned and used them in my truck since early in 2005. I am very familiar with the additional features they offer and also like to be able to touch the screen and read elevation and other handy bits of information but those are not essential. I consider being able to see the map and read info on my next and future turns and distance to turns when the sun is directly above or at my back much more important. I tried using a handlebar mounted Garmin unit on my previous ST-1300 and found I could often not see the screen map or read the instructions because of bright sunlight.

As far the aftermarket XM add-on, unless someone has found a harness to connect direct from the back of the XM or GPS unit to the Goldwing sound system that I am unaware of, the only way to get the signal into the motorcycle's system is via fm transmission.

A friend of mine just purchased a used Garmin from me, the one I tried to use on my ST, and used it on his '08 Wing on a trip we made to the east coast. He grumbled several times about the need to change FM frequencies everytime we passed through a large city.
HBarlow,

Doesn't the Garmin unit have an audio out socket, like where you would plug in headphones? If it does, you can plug that directly into the bike's audio system via the supplied auxilliary audio cable in the left fairing pocket. Unfortunately it's not long enough to reach anything mounted on the handlebars, but you can purchase an extension for less than $10.00 at Radio Shack or similar electronics store. That's how we did our XM radios, and it sure beat having to tune in different FM channels all the time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts