GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have a 2012 GL1800 w/ Navigation and want to load routes via the sd card:

The sd card must have a folder named "garmin" and inside that folder there must be a folder named "gpx". The route or .gpx file you want to upload to the onboard system must be placed inside the "gpx" folder.

I guess I missed it when I read the Navigation documentation.

Once I got that resolved the files uploaded as expected. I still need to actually see if the route works as it did on my zumo 550, but that will have to wait until the weekend.

Hope this helps save someone some time. :nojoke:
bbc

·
Registered
479 Posts
Those of you that have a 2012 GL1800 w/ Navigation and want to load routes via the sd card:

The sd card must have a folder named "garmin" and inside that folder there must be a folder named "gpx". The route or .gpx file you want to upload to the onboard system must be placed inside the "gpx" folder.

I guess I missed it when I read the Navigation documentation.

Once I got that resolved the files uploaded as expected. I still need to actually see if the route works as it did on my zumo 550, but that will have to wait until the weekend.

Hope this helps save someone some time. :nojoke:
bbc
I will have to check that out, I tried to upload a route the other day and could noy get it to work, I knew I was doing somthing wrong.:thumbup:

·
Registered
366 Posts
bbcwing,

Good explanation of how to do it...!

One more "oh yeah..."
The waypoints and routes file must be saved in .GPX format.

In MapSource, open the file you want to send, then click FILE>SAVE AS. The SAVE AS window will open. Click the drop-down arrow at the right end of the "Save as type:" field, then select GPS eXchange Format (*.gpx). Note: you can safely use the same name for the file since the filename "extension (.gpx) is different. Your original file is unchanged.

Good Luck...!

·
Registered
9 Posts
bbcwing was spot on with his guidance. I was searching on my IPAD for advice after already posting tonight the same question. Ran back down stairs....created the folders as bbc said and copied the files into their gpx directories....and it came up like a champ...awesome.

Ken

Ken Taylor
Virginia District GWRRA
Asst District Director North
District NL Editor

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
How many routes can the 2012 Navi system allow for immediate use after loading the card :?:
Also can Waypoints be stored in categories like most of the higher end Garmins do :?:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Routes - Re-Routed

What map program are you using? I have tried the Harley Planner since the Honda Planner won't allow you to move the route. I have established waypoints along the route, but when I import into the 2012 NAV system, it defaults to a route the system wants me to take. I am in the process of downloading the Streets and Trips - I've seen that in several forums. Any other suggestions to making your own route and it keeping the route you've created?

·
Registered
27 Posts
2012 Nav issues - CRASHING

I have a 2012, as does a friend of mine. Both our Nav units tend to "CRASH" when you 1) load in a route (GPX file) and then; 2) Miss, or otherwise stray from the route. (Which causes a "recalculate"). The screen will completely shut down (go black) and then reboot (go through the welcome/boot up screens). You then have to stop and hit enter (or do the thrill seeking version of shutting it down while still rolling and then hit "enter"). VERY upsetting... has anyone else seen this? -- you would have to load in a GPX file with several (6+) via/way points... then "miss" a way point (recalculate).

THANKS

·
Registered
27 Posts
Call Honda

Don (and anyone else), as this seems to be a "hit and miss" type of an issue... in order to get Honda to agree they have an issue we need everyone (that has seen this happen) to call both their dealer AND Honda. The telephone number is: (866) 784-1870. There is an option for Goldwing owners. The first time you call you will need your VIN number. Urge (damand) that your dealer call the tech line as well, they have a separate number (that Honda pays closer attention to). If we can get enough folks to call in then Honda will pay some attention to the issue. :22yikes:

·
Registered
166 Posts
am having the same issues

mine seems to always revert to a chosen route, regardless of the waypoints that i have inputed. the default is for fastest time and i have had it correct itself by changing to shortest distance. doesnt always work. hopefully honda will listen since this is a beta version.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Revert?

Rwald... I don't think I understand what your system is doing. It is ignoring the way points and just routing directly to the end point? When you pull up the route on the bike... can you see the way points? (flags stuck in the ground and/or in the text portion showing the way points) I use shortest time setting, but that shouldn't make and difference. It should just go from way point to way point... What mine is doing when you skip or miss a way point (go some direction other than what the system tells you to do) the system crashes... then sometimes it will eventually figure out what it should be doing, but then again sometimes (no matter where you are) it starts the route completely over again.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I was told BMW markets their top of the line bikes with a blank cover where a Garmin GPS of your choice can be installed. I was also told adapter plates are included for different Garmin models.
Can anyone guess why the Goldwing packages their GPS with ABS brakes :?:

My best guess is they want their flagship touring bike to include a GPS installed and to keep the selling price down. It must be a cheap unit with a large screen to keep the selling price of the bike down :idea:.
I haven't seen the 2012 GPS but I am wondering if the weather screen is a "North always up type, no overlay type" :?:. A sign of a cheap unit :22yikes:.
If that is the case, Honda would be stuck with a pile of GPS units if they didn't force one to purchase a Navigation unit to get their ABS brakes :shrug:.
ABS brakes alone are an option under $1K on other bikes.

S

·
0 Posts
I was told BMW markets their top of the line bikes with a blank cover where a Garmin GPS of your choice can be installed. I was also told adapter plates are included for different Garmin models.
That's not right. The BMW K1600 does not come with a GPS, it comes with a mount that accepts only the authorized (and costly) BMW GPS. I've read of one rider who swapped out the proprietary BMW mount with a Garmin mount so he could use the Zumo 665 he already owned..

·
Registered
166 Posts
mine shows the waypoints but seems to miss them if you start somewhere other than the starting point. then it tries to backtrack to regain the waypoint. very annoying. i planned out a route to get me to keystone,sd via 35north in iowa and then i90 through minesota. this route would have bypassed all the construction on other roads. the gps, when i started it, automaticly switched to 80west then i29 north, putting me dead in the heart of road construction hell. and i started it only .5 miles away from the original starting point.

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine shows the waypoints but seems to miss them if you start somewhere other than the starting point. then it tries to backtrack to regain the waypoint. very annoying. i planned out a route to get me to keystone,sd via 35north in iowa and then i90 through minesota. this route would have bypassed all the construction on other roads. the gps, when i started it, automaticly switched to 80west then i29 north, putting me dead in the heart of road construction hell. and i started it only .5 miles away from the original starting point.

Mine does that as well from time to time... particularly while it is pitching a fit and crashing and recalculating. Once you find your own way to the route, it will stop crashing. Then it may want to send you back to the beginning and redo the entire route. I learned that if I ignore the directions and "follow the blue line route" then next time I "hit" a via point it will recognize where you are and finish the route correctly (unless of course you don't follow the route then you risk it crashing again). SO... if your machine is not "crashing" just ignore the verbal directions and once you hit the next via point it should figure out what you are doing and start working again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One more point as somehow I jumped out of the thread before finished. When you transport your're Honda route into the GPS it will give you the route it may want you to have but if prior to importing you have selected, "Avoid Highways", my limited experience has had the route put into the gps as planned. I've had no problems with anything crashing etc when it recalculated or going off route but it did try to get me back on the route again when it should have dropped that and accepted my new route to destination. I don't recall that you get the options page such as "Avoid Highways" when importing with the SD card other than on the Honda site. I had to put in a false route to bring up the page and set the route options before importing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When planning you're route on the Honda site. Start at you're starting point and work you're way forward to the destination. This will avoid it giving you a route you may not want and can't get rid of. Just the opposite of planning on the bike by first putting in the destination and marking Via's backwards to select the route and having them in the proper order.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Whew!

This is interesting. I just took a 2800 mile test ride on a 2012 Wing without ABS/Nav. Actually, I bought the bike because there were no ABS/Nav models available anywhere in the midwest. I say it was a "test ride" because when I checked with my dealer last week he said he was getting a new ABS/Nav in a few weeks. He's giving me back what I paid for the non ABS on a trade up for the ABS/Nav. I really only wanted ABS —a standard feature on all the Beemers since 2004 I think. I didn't really want the Nav system because I have a good Zumo, and, apparently I am going to need the Zumo if I want to use my phone with Bluetooth.

From what I am seeing here, it looks like I should skip the frustration of the Honda Nav system entirely and rely on the Zumo for everything.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
me thinks that you all are over thinking the process. All I do is program my destination and then as I drive I select to follow the GPS route or just pick my own and the GPS will catch up. Remember you are in control not the GPS.

Danl

1 - 20 of 58 Posts