GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I change out the 2010 NAVI unit for a 2012 unit, and add the iPod interface that comes with the 2012?

Any thoughts on doing this? It seems it would be cheaper than trading.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I imagine with a radio firmware update, a cpl. new harnesses, a new display, and a new unit in trunk, I'd think it would be possible. But, $$$$$$$$ and then a few more $$$$$$, and it may be doable. I doubt it's as simple as just changing the gps unit. In fact, now that I think about it, it may require the radio to go with all the previous goodies, as I imagine the input for ipod is going to be unique to that 2012 radio, and the previous radio, I doubt would be capable. Larry M might be the one to chat with on this. I'd like to find a 2012 parts list, and chk. the part no., and see if it's radically different from the 2010<. Anybody know of a link to 2012 parts?

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
The 2012 has a new radio, unlike anything that was used on the prior models. It sits in the trunk where the old CD changer used to reside. The only thing up front is the keyboard.

As they say, nearly anything is possible. But in this case it is probably close to impossible.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
A replacement Nav unit in the trunk for the 2010 Gold Wing cost around $300 or so.

A replacement Nav unit for the 2012 Gold Wing is over $3,000.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out why Honda raised the price so much. They want you to buy a new bike, not just order a new Nav unit.

We have already discovered some differences in the switch logic to the new audio unit for some functions. Even if you could afford one, I suspect they won't interchange. The connectors to it are also different, so you'd have to make your own wire harness.

You'd be better off just buying the Ipod interface that Electrical Connections sells.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I admit that I was dreaming ... but thought a switch over would be a possibility.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I know there's a cpl. differences in the wire connector, so I wonder about that, too. Move the wires around? They make nothing easy, and they could probably care less. Buy a new bike, they are probably thinking.

·
Registered
528 Posts
So how about a 08 to a 10?/

Changes the old CF card to an SD card
would that work???

Can't be done.

I have a buddy with an 08 and I have a 10. We took the units out of both bikes and compared. The number of pins are different and the actual connector is a different size. The 10 has XM radio so I can only assume that the additional connections are for controlling the XM functions.

Ron

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Can't be done.

I have a buddy with an 08 and I have a 10. We took the units out of both bikes and compared. The number of pins are different and the actual connector is a different size. The 10 has XM radio so I can only assume that the additional connections are for controlling the XM functions.

Ron
Actually the units are interchangeable just a connector adaption is required

·
Registered
195 Posts
With the map set changing to NT instead of the non-NT for the 06 - 08 mods, can't you just update the maps like before and not have to change the unit? CF cards are still available.

Is there a difference between the 06 - 08 and 09 - 10 units?

Charlie Morse
Land Elephant

·
Registered
645 Posts
Probably not near the advantage as before, unless the SD version can go to 4+ gig. Maybe faster reading, too. Just a couple assumptions at this point.

And you're right, CF cards aren't that hard to find, as some believe.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Probably not near the advantage as before, unless the SD version can go to 4+ gig. Maybe faster reading, too. Just a couple assumptions at this point.

And you're right, CF cards aren't that hard to find, as some believe.
Well, it is a little easier to bend the connectors with a CF card reading unit.

Don't ask. :22yikes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pete at BikeMP3 is working on a plug and play replacement Nav unit. I'm not sure if it will do Ipod functions or not though, you'd have to ask him.
Pete, can you let us know what your plans are here? Seems like that would be a decent sized retrofit market for someone, I know I'd be seriously interested.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Pete, can you let us know what your plans are here? Seems like that would be a decent sized retrofit market for someone, I know I'd be seriously interested.
This is what I have been playing with

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
My understanding of this new unit that Pete is working on is that not only can you build your own routes and load them into it, but you will be able to send them to it wirelessly via a BlueTooth connection. He also discussed a lot of other interesting features. I hope he is successful, because this is what GL1800 riders have been wanting for a long time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts