GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... here is an update on the 2012 Nav. We have discovered that your GPS will crash if you have any point that is "off road". This is easy to do if you are using "point and click" to mark a destination or a via point (either on the bike or using the trip planner). This can, or I should say "will", happen if you use the "mark by position" option while you are off road. (i.e. in a large parking lot).

Moral of the story... make 100% sure that all your "points" are on a road and have an address. If not... turn the wrong way (force it recalculate) and it will crash the entire system.

Don't believe me? Give it a try. Just point and click on the map (on the bike) in the middle of nowhere... (a spot with no roads)... make that point your destination... then take a drive. Make at least 1 correct turn... then turn the wrong way and force it to recalc. I'll bet you will see a blank screen.

Not sure if this encompasses all the issues we have been seeing with the 2012 GPS... but it is at least one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm currently doing some riding in the Branson MO area and using the 2012 Nav GPS. Yes, it has crashed five times the last two days when recalculating. I was using the trip planner as well as planning the route on the bike. My destination during these routes used points desginated as via's but may well not have had an address and today my destination was my starting point marked by vechicle position. Yup, off route or forcing it to recalculate and it crashes. Begins route immediately after stopping and selecting "'ent". This will be turned in as a warrenty issue because my 06 didn't do it and this one shouln't either.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It's a bigger issue.

I had mine freeze and go to blank screen 3 times yesterday, while I was trying to program it on the road. This is not the first time I've had problems with it.

I noticed it come back twice when I pushed the far right button under the display (Lite ?)

They have a serious problem that will become more apparent as more bikes are sold.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have had my Navigation system go blank and re-boot several times forcing me to push enter again. Most of the time, I didn't have a route active because I use a handlebar mounted Zumo for my routes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2012 Goldwing Nav Problems

My 2012 Goldwing has been in the honda shop for over 30 days now with the nav problem. Honda hasn't come up with a fix yet. Re-boots over and over again. please email at [email protected] so we can join together to get this resolved

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been bitten by the crash bug on routes uploaded via the trip planner. Ah, it was bad on my last trip. Darned thing rebooted when I exited the highway to fuel up. Then it rebooted again between starting up after fueling and getting back on the highway. That sucked since I couldn't really stop to push the enter button. The combination of the crash/reboot with the inability to "enter" while moving really sucks.

I don't recall having rebooting issues when riding routes entered directly on the bike's nav. Perhaps I'll need to give up trip planner. Too bad, b/c I like using it. :frown:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gps fix!!!

Honda says they can fix my 2012 goldwing GPS!! Haven't gotten it back yet from the dealership after 45 days!!! YET but anticipating successful ride in the future. If anyone reads this and wants to know anything email me at [email protected]

Don

·
Vendor
22,054 Posts
Honda says they can fix my 2012 goldwing GPS!! Haven't gotten it back yet from the dealership after 45 days!!! YET but anticipating successful ride in the future. If anyone reads this and wants to know anything email me at [email protected]

Don
I'd be interested to hear what they have told you. Last news I heard was that Honda Japan was working this issue and had identified a problem in the firmware, and that they were about ready to release a software patch for it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
FYI, the DIRECT number to call Garmin to report any problems with the OEM Navi system is:

866-418-9438

I'd suggest anyone who is experiencing the rebooting issue with the 2012 should call them and report it.

They are very much aware of the problem and a fix is in the works. Calling will help with job security for the people answering the phones no doubt.

With the complexity of the software and data, you can only imagine how many problems can jump out of the woodwork when it all goes in to production. They will fix it! As much as we think we’re the only ones having problems I’m sure that the Aviation Industry along with the Military units are at the top of the TO DO list. It’s not easy finding a bug that only shows up when it’s put in the end product and used in the real world. Plus, every one knows how secretive Honda can be and doesn’t like to share what they have. They’ll fix it. It’s just a PITA, no more. I won’t even go in to flying with a GPS that had a hick up in it. Now that could become be serious. I still had a Sectional (map) and knew where I was at.. I thought.......

I hadn't had a Gold wing since 1989 and forgot how great they are, Valkyrie and FLHTCUI. Then back to this, I love them all.
Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
nav issues

I got my 2012 nav bike back two weeks ago. I've gone on about three rides now without an issue.

Hope it stays fixed

Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nav Issues

I've had it back now for about two weeks. They say I'm the first to get the fix. Well so far so good. about three rides in without an issue

Don

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is a dupe from the other GPS issue thread:

Step two of the GPS upgrade. My Dealer called Honda Tech support and relayed the GPS problem that's been discussed here. Honda told them to have me first do the service proceedure described on page 23-40 of the 2012 Service Manual.

Fortunately my SM/PM arrived yesterday from Helm. Basically to fix a system that locks up constantly there's three steps recommended to get it to reboot. One involves cycling the ignition switch. Another involves momentaril disconnecting the battery from the wiring system. And the third involves a forced reset via the switch on the back of the unit while its powered up. Until that's done, and only if the problem then remains unsolved, Honda cannot offer further assistance I was told.

So I called Garmin @ 866-418-9438. The tech was very helpful, indicated they were aware of a programming issue on the 2012 unit, and said they would be offering a software upgrade through Honda in the near future. Maybe a SD card change or Internet reload, I'm not sure. When recontacted with the Garmin news, my Dealer indicated it may be available this winter. Maybe he knew more than he told me the first time.

I can't ride until Spring 2012 so we'll see what shakes out this winter.

Gary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello guys I just replaced my battery on my 2012 gl1800...The other one would not take a charge....and after connecting the new battery my screen was black on startup. ... does anyone know how to fix this?...Thax in advance. ..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bigm...had the same problem when I disconnected the battery to add some external electrical accessories (a relay and Cowl lights)...get out the owners manual and "re set up" the radio and other electronic accessories...it helps if you can have a clear sky above you for the GPS and Radio

1 - 20 of 20 Posts