GL1800Riders Forums banner

2012 Navigation

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cgaralis 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if we can delete all those flags when zoomed out on a route?

Try to see the whole route by zooming out and all you can see is a field of flags, hiding the roads.

I have been told that some aftermaket GPS's allow you to replace them with dots.

#2 ·
I'll play around with my GPS this afternoon to see if I can kill the flags.

I've not had much luck getting any useful information out of the NAVI system on my new Wing. Every route I've made has required way too many waypoints to keep me off the interstates. Zooming out to get an overview of the route results in a screen that is almost totally devoid of useful information.

I ordered a new GPS yesterday. I am writing the built-in GPS off as just part of a $4000 ABS system. If I had it to do over, I'd still buy the same bike. If I use the ABS once, I'll save more than $4000. It's like really expensive insurance.

The screen is really nice. There ought to be some really neat things you could do with all that space. I also like the way it's integrated into the design of the bike. After I get the new GPS, I may tear into this thing and see what could be done with it. Garmin makes some headless models for use with in-car TV systems. Maybe one of those would be compatible with the Gold Wing screen.

#7 ·
These are routes made by others and downloaded from the New England Riders site.

Check out the New England Riders site. It has tons of info and routes plotted in many formats including Google maps.
Don,
The flags can be deleted.
Try this first. Load the route in mapsource and make sure the Maps version is the same as your GPS maps version. Take one of the flags and move it to an intersection. If it is already on an intersection, move it off, drop it and move it back. Then save it, load it into the GPS and see if the flag is gone.
When a VIA or Routing point it placed at an intersection of two roads, it is not announced or flagged. Unfortunately each map version changed the serial numbers of the intersections and the routes have to be "touched" for a new verison of maps. Garmin is aware of this and looking into perhaps fixing it for future map versions.

Good luck and if you need additional help, goto www.zumoforums.com
and check out the mapsource board. There are many posts about this topic.

#8 ·
If it's like the 2010, you can't do anything with the flags. I'm guessing that once you plot your route both of the systems are the same. The detail level when zoomed out is bad enough, when you plot a route with a ton of waypoints, all you see is a mash up of flags.
I ended up getting a TomTom Rider to use as my primary route planning nav system. The stock nav unit is for doing direct routing from point A to point B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.