GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be honest......and leave all jokes and bashing out of this thread please.Does anyone else have rattles in their dash/fairing? Am I asking too much..... is this normal. I know the bike is practacly all abs plastic......Ive taken mine in twice,they found the speaker grill cover not quiet seated in the rubber grommet,and it took about 65% out.But I still have alot of rattling at low city speeds,its annoying.My mechanic has been servicing goldwings for 35 years,but Im concerned that maybe he is hard hearing,because he said he got it out by placing a couple of rubber pads in behind the lower right fairing. He said he cannot disassemble the faring unless Honda pays for his time...which he states Honda is very funny about this kind of circumstance?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have had two Honda GL1800s and 1 PC800. All three had squeaky, groaning plastic. Honda is behind most of the industry in the way(s) it attaches plastic body parts, IMO.

Please be honest......and leave all jokes and bashing out of this thread please.Does anyone else have rattles in their dash/fairing? Am I asking too much..... is this normal. I know the bike is practacly all abs plastic......Ive taken mine in twice,they found the speaker grill cover not quiet seated in the rubber grommet,and it took about 65% out.But I still have alot of rattling at low city speeds,its annoying.My mechanic has been servicing goldwings for 35 years,but Im concerned that maybe he is hard hearing,because he said he got it out by placing a couple of rubber pads in behind the lower right fairing. He said he cannot disassemble the faring unless Honda pays for his time...which he states Honda is very funny about this kind of circumstance?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry that you are having trouble with some rattle!!! Stuff like that dives my nuts too!!! I have a 2012 Red with Nav. So far mine has no squeekie noises of any kind Yet!!! But I did have the 40-45 mile pr hour wobble. But that fixed by having the Alls Balls Bearing installed and a new Kuryakyn generation 2 fork brace put on. Now no wobble and it tracks like it's on rails!!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Have to fix a new machine???

Sorry that you are having trouble with some rattle!!! Stuff like that dives my nuts too!!! I have a 2012 Red with Nav. So far mine has no squeekie noises of any kind Yet!!! But I did have the 40-45 mile pr hour wobble. But that fixed by having the Alls Balls Bearing installed and a new Kuryakyn generation 2 fork brace put on. Now no wobble and it tracks like it's on rails!!!
I'm sorry, but it just does not make sense to me that a brand new motorcycle should have to have aftermarket items installed on it to make it drive like it's new. What are they getting all those thousands of $ for?
Just my $.02

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I'm sorry, but it just does not make sense to me that a brand new motorcycle should have to have aftermarket items installed on it to make it drive like it's new. What are they getting all those thousands of $ for?
Just my $.02
You noticed that too? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
On my 03 and 05 the root cause was the crappy stock suspension. Traxxion upgrade = no more rattling plastic (or fillings).

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I have an 05 and there are no rattles or sweaks. There is nothing inherently wrong with the way Honda attaches plastic, in fact they are better at it than most after all these years of producing the wing. If yours is rattling, something must be loose. And, you do not need to do anything to the suspension to fix a rattle in the dash. Sheese!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I have an 05 and there are no rattles or sweaks. There is nothing inherently wrong with the way Honda attaches plastic, in fact they are better at it than most after all these years of producing the wing. If yours is rattling, something must be loose. And, you do not need to do anything to the suspension to fix a rattle in the dash. Sheese!
"There is nothing inherently wrong with the way Honda attaches plastic..." Agreed. Wrong would be too strong. Outdated is more like it, especially compared with some of the others. I am familiar with two brands, Suzuki and BMW, which are at least a generation ahead. There are likely others. Hanging largish plastic bits on press in place rubber grommets...!!!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Please tell us what you paid to have the fork bearings replaced.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Fabrication

Maybe this is an indication of variable fabrication issues. That is, not all the assembly operators are trained properly or the parts fabrication processes are not fine tuned and some "less than perfect" wings are getting out the door!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine makes no rattles or noises at all. I did get a moth inside one of the speakers somehow.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Maybe this is an indication of variable fabrication issues. That is, not all the assembly operators are trained properly or the parts fabrication processes are not fine tuned and some "less than perfect" wings are getting out the door!!
That's certainly possible. Other companies have faced similar situations.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Some of these Wings may have been assembled shortly after the Fukushima earthquake and tsunami disaster by assemblers who were all shook up, nervous and jerky. Give them some slack and have your local dealer fix the rattles. Other option of course is good ear plugs.

Boy, there sure are some early risers on this board.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
dparrish, The biggest rattle that comes from the dash area of the Wing is caused by the windshield slides rattling if the clamps don't hold the windshield tight enough. The noise is at its worst if you ride with your Windshield all the way down.

You can test for this as the cause by either raising the windshield and test riding the bike, or lightly slapping at the windshield in the garage to see if you can duplicate it.

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Just my $.02
It doesn't need it. People just think they do because they are told by members of this board that they need it.

JMO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts