GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a upclose look at the new 2012 Wing at a local dealer. I gotta say I wont be tradin my 09 in anytime soon!
They really blew it on the tail redo, I mean it looks like they only had Cad files for the tail and not the trunck cause they dont go together one bit!
They must have hired a Victory Vision Engineer and he got to create the lines, not for me.
Also the covers for the oil filler and coolant check should have been left chrome.
I do like the paint skeem, espicially the blue, but I only ride blue bikes, so I'm a little pregidus when it comes to colors.

Dealer said availability is sparse, they will only get one more 2012 this summer, he said they could sell 6 if they could get them.

Tim

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Honda rep at local dealer yesterday told me that Honda's costs on chromed plastic increased over 1000% and that is why you don't see ANY chrome plastic on the new Wings.

My guess? The chemical process to do chrome plastic has increased due to new regulations regarding "global warming" BS. I wonder what will happen if the planet gets too cool?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
"Honda rep at local dealer yesterday told me that Honda's costs on chromed plastic increased over 1000% and that is why you don't see ANY chrome plastic on the new Wings".

That statement will be proven one way or the other soon enough by aftermarket vendors.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
"Honda rep at local dealer yesterday told me that Honda's costs on chromed plastic increased over 1000% and that is why you don't see ANY chrome plastic on the new Wings".

That statement will be proven soon enough by aftermarket vendors.
That didn't effect the amount of chrome on new HD's :lol:

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
When I look at the 2012 bike, nearly every change I see that Honda made to it was to reduce manufacturing costs.

1. They got rid of two of the big saddlebag lights in the rear and changed it to one center mounted light.

2. Less color matched parts needed, since now all the silver panels are interchangeable on all bikes, and the rear fender is now black on all bikes.

3. Moving of the controls means they no longer have to make a specific model radio and plastics for the air bag bike. All bikes now share the same top shelter design and wire harness routing and radio location.

4. Elimination of chromed plastic parts.

The only additions they made that cost them money were to the redesign of the GPS Nav board in the trunk, and I suspect that was minimal. The audio unit was also redesigned and changed slightly, but again, that was most likely a low cost change. The suspension upgrades just consist of new stiffer springs and probably some valving changes on the damper cartridge and rear shock, so that was also a low cost change.

My feeling is that Honda had to make these changes to keep the price increase down from the effect of moving the manufacturing facility to Japan. If they hadn't done them, I bet that the cost would have gone up considerably.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I look at the 2012 bike, nearly every change I see that Honda made to it was to reduce manufacturing costs.

1. They got rid of two of the big saddlebag lights in the rear and changed it to one center mounted light.

2. Less color matched parts needed, since now all the silver panels are interchangeable on all bikes, and the rear fender is now black on all bikes.

3. Moving of the controls means they no longer have to make a specific model radio and plastics for the air bag bike. All bikes now share the same top shelter design and wire harness routing and radio location.

4. Elimination of chromed plastic parts.

The only additions they made that cost them money were to the redesign of the GPS Nav board in the trunk, and I suspect that was minimal. The audio unit was also redesigned and changed slightly, but again, that was most likely a low cost change. The suspension upgrades just consist of new stiffer springs and probably some valving changes on the damper cartridge and rear shock, so that was also a low cost change.

My feeling is that Honda had to make these changes to keep the price increase down from the effect of moving the manufacturing facility to Japan. If they hadn't done them, I bet that the cost would have gone up considerably.

With all do respect, cost reduction is a load of crap! This design is 10 years old!
The design and components have paid for themselves many times over.

Its obvious its long in the tooth and to stay up with the Boomers etc. They needed to be able to say new and improved. It's marketing at its finest. All in all its the same old same old. And again they dropped the ball on the lines of the rearend of the bike.

Tim

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
When I went and looked at it, the 2012 was a big turn-off. Neither the wife nor I liked the two-tone paint scheme or the butt-ugly rear end. I can't see any compelling reason whatsoever to incur a whole lot of depreciation just to have something less than what I have now. I continue to maintain that the 2012 is just a placeholder, but not one that's going to hold my place.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Honda rep at local dealer yesterday told me that Honda's costs on chromed plastic increased over 1000% and that is why you don't see ANY chrome plastic on the new Wings.

My guess? The chemical process to do chrome plastic has increased due to new regulations regarding "global warming" BS. I wonder what will happen if the planet gets too cool?
That did happen years ago, the almost complete banning of cadmium, that is. There has been no 1000% increase in chroming cost. It should have come down with advancements made in plating plastics!
Honda Rep needs a different story!
The story I got was the chrome was removed for a more "equal" appearance theme going along the bike into the Honda attempt of applying chip guard to the saddlebags. Which, by the way, can be color matched, but would cost a few cents more per bike!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

If the planet gets to cool, everything will be chrome. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I saw a pictured of a 2012 triked in the latest Wing World. It looks pretty nice. The 2012 was definitely made for triking... the sooner you get those fat, butt-ugly saddlebags off the better. Some day when I need to trike I might consider one of these but hopefully, God willing, that is many, many years away.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
With all do respect, cost reduction is a load of crap! This design is 10 years old!
The design and components have paid for themselves many times over.

Its obvious its long in the tooth and to stay up with the Boomers etc. They needed to be able to say new and improved. It's marketing at its finest. All in all its the same old same old. And again they dropped the ball on the lines of the rearend of the bike.

Tim
Tim, reduced costs still helps their bottom line, regardless of how long the bike has been out. If the cost of a black side panel is less than the cost of a chrome panel, it still makes the bike more profitable.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Fred, electronics always go down in cost, so I doubt the NAV changes cost Honda any more to produce. Besides, they probably beat up Garmin to provide those changes. I would be will to bet that the manufacturing cost of the 2012 Wing is LESS than the 2010.

As for the body panels. The body panels that were updated were most likely a result of injection molds that were sold or destroyed after the move to Japan. Since they had to create new molds anyway, they made some minor changes. The trunk lid stays the same, most likely because that mold survived the move. I can't think of any other reason.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
The bottom line is that I have now sat on the 2012 at my dealer on 3 different occasions and I am just "not feeling the love" anymore. Maybe I am losing my passion for riding, don't know. I think I had my hopes up to high for a 'new' Goldwing over the past 3 years. I really need something inspiring, and this ain't it. I keep trying to talk myself into the 2012, any maybe the devil on my right shoulder will win out over the angel on my left one. Don't know at this point. Whatever the case, it is not like I can't sleep thinking about getting a new Goldwing, and that is the feeling I am searching for.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
I like the looks or the 01-10
If you like the 12 get it
Different strokes

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am NOT impressed with the 2012! Somebody was smoking funny cigarettes when the design was complete and final! I can honestly state that everyone I have talked to has nothing good to say about the lines of the 2012... the Victory remarks are strong! No, I surely DO NOT like the looks of the 'big' Victory either!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that likes the 2012 jeez

1 - 20 of 84 Posts